Why become a member? ×

Think you've hit the limit then whoosh

BobVbass

It's funny - I've playing bass for lots of years, fingers and pick on my P bass with a classic smooth sound for probably 25 years now. For the last 5 or so I've been very comfortable with what I play, not particularly improving but I feel competent and relaxed gigging a huge range of songs.

Then about 2 months ago we started playing more disco stuff in the functions band - not that we weren't playing any at all before, we just added a couple of songs and for the first time in ages I sat down and really worked at them, I was at a loose end one Sunday afternoon. All of a sudden I feel like I'm on a massive leap upwards in skill and style again, I can play better, I think my sound is better and just more on the ball - its like I've woken up when I didn't know I was asleep - I've finally cracked how to put a bit of slap and pop in - I've even just bought myself a Warwick :o

Happened to anyone else? (not buying a Warwick :) the thinking you've reached where you need to be then suddenly finding a way to improve again)

Edited by BobVbass

Kind of similar.
I had always played lots of different styles. The usual - Motown, Blues, Rock , Funk etc.
As you said, i think i just got comfortable.
Started playing a few disco numbers with our band a few months ago.
Shocked at how hard i found them to start with. All those octaves tested my little finger!!
All good now, but i had to work at it to get the muting between octaves. To play the parts as clean as i wanted wasn't as simple as i expected it to be.
Definitely made me think about how accurate the rest of my playing is and brought it up another level (IMO YMMV etc etc)

I've also got a Warwick :D

You're climbing stairs. Every so often you find yourself on a landing. Then you start going up stairs again.

Joining a good band, or buying a good bass, amp or cab can do the same thing.

You can also force the issue with lessons. A good teacher will open many doors to a player wanting to learn.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1442387311' post='2866461']
Kind of similar.
I had always played lots of different styles. The usual - Motown, Blues, Rock , Funk etc.
As you said, i think i just got comfortable.
Started playing a few disco numbers with our band a few months ago.
Shocked at how hard i found them to start with. All those octaves tested my little finger!!
All good now, but i had to work at it to get the muting between octaves. To play the parts as clean as i wanted wasn't as simple as i expected it to be.
Definitely made me think about how accurate the rest of my playing is and brought it up another level (IMO YMMV etc etc)

I've also got a Warwick :D
[/quote]

Exactly the same experience for me over the last six months or so, since we started introducing more Disco.

Unlike you and Bob though, I've not yet bought a Warwick :lol:
I have lusted after a couple though.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1442387852' post='2866466']
You're climbing stairs. Every so often you find yourself on a landing. Then you start going up stairs again.
[/quote]

Good analogy - it's like the progress of evolution - which is not a gradual upwards curve over time, but a flat horizontal line interspersed with radical vertical jumps. :)

Edited by discreet

I could have written the OP's post. I'm in exactly the same boat as him. All the members in our band have had a busy two yrs (I became a dad, guitarist toured heavily with Tony Hadley, keys player and I did Bugsy Malone in theatre etc etc) so the bookings were less than usual. This last two months we have decided to revamp, relaunch and go all out for a busy year in 2016. We've been recording some new demos and added a heap of new songs, mostly disco / funk and we just had confirmation that this lady www.bonitadelaney.com/ is going to join us and make us a male & female fronted act. Its obviously opened up loads of musical possibilities and as a result my playing has been totally energised. I playing slap loads more, nailing songs I used to be afraid to try and generally its all on the up.