Why become a member? ×

Barefaced One10

Roland Rock

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1444228411' post='2881355']
They are a 12, but they're not exactly huge, and they're incredibly light.
I have a mini rig, 2 x 1x10 Ashdown Mi10's and a G3 Compact drawing 8 ohms from my amp was louder than the two little cabs together drawing 4 ohms.
The newer G3 cabs don't have the barky abrasive sound I heard in the older stuff, much more balanced. Might be worth investigating...

Merton and I will be having another mini-bash in darkest Surrey or possibly South Croydon again soon if you want to pop along to have a go/listen?

Eude
[/quote]

Sounds promissing with a more balanced sound...

Let me know about the mini bash. Anywhere I can get to on a train easilly is doable :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444229533' post='2881365']
Sounds promissing with a more balanced sound...

Let me know about the mini bash. Anywhere I can get to on a train easilly is doable :)
[/quote]

Well of we do do it in Surrey, I'll be driving from near Sanderstead train station, so if you can get to me, I can drive from there.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1444229841' post='2881367']
Well of we do do it in Surrey, I'll be driving from near Sanderstead train station, so if you can get to me, I can drive from there.

Eude
[/quote]

I've never actually made a BC bash so it's about time I managed to get to one... Let me know if and when you guys are organising it for and I'll hopefully be along :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444230676' post='2881384']
I've never actually made a BC bash so it's about time I managed to get to one... Let me know if and when you guys are organising it for and I'll hopefully be along :)
[/quote]

Well, it's not an 'official' bash, just two or three of us in a wee rehearsal space, the bigger bashes would let you meet a lot more folks and try a lot more gear out, but seeing as you have something quite specific, it's probably a very good opportunity for you if it'll fit.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1444226377' post='2881334']I heard both the Retro 210 and the G3 Compact recently, with an all valve Ashdown CTM-30 and an Ashdown RM-800. If you want HiFi, I reckon you should probably look to the G3 Compact.[/quote]

The Super Compact is certainly accurate within its design bandwidth (37Hz-4kHz) but it isn't hi-fi in the full-range studio monitor sense, like the Big Baby 2. And the Super Midget is a great alternative to the Big Baby 2 if you want that full-range accurate sound but need the smallest cab possible.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1444230764' post='2881385']
Well, it's not an 'official' bash, just two or three of us in a wee rehearsal space, the bigger bashes would let you meet a lot more folks and try a lot more gear out, but seeing as you have something quite specific, it's probably a very good opportunity for you if it'll fit.

Eude
[/quote]

yeah it sounds perfect as the exact rig I'm interested in will be there... I'll bring the Wals.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1444231023' post='2881391']
The Super Compact is certainly accurate within its design bandwidth (37Hz-4kHz) but it isn't hi-fi in the full-range studio monitor sense, like the Big Baby 2. And the Super Midget is a great alternative to the Big Baby 2 if you want that full-range accurate sound but need the smallest cab possible.
[/quote]

I was going to mention the midget.
I've not tried one personally, although I did hear a G2 one a couple of years back and was very pleasantly surprised at how much it filled the fairly large room I was in, astonished is probably closer actually.
Based on what I've heard of the G3 Compact, I imagine the new Midgets are most impressive!

Eude

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444231096' post='2881393']

yeah it sounds perfect as the exact rig I'm interested in will be there... I'll bring the Wals.
[/quote]

Excellent! Once we have a date (based on new ACG arrivals!) we'll keep you in the loop :)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1444229841' post='2881367']Well of we do do it in Surrey, I'll be driving from near Sanderstead train station, so if you can get to me, I can drive from there.[/quote]

Would you keep me posted too if this happens? I'm gassing for one of these badly :)

I'm only a short way away in Sutton.

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1444232490' post='2881419']
Would you keep me posted too if this happens? I'm gassing for one of these badly :)

I'm only a short way away in Sutton.
[/quote]

Will do matey, whether or not a Retro One10 will be there I'm not sure, I guess it depends if Merton can hold his resolve. There will be a some G3 Compacts though, possibly a Retro Two10 and a fair bit of Ashdown gear...

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1444232703' post='2881421']

Will do matey, whether or not a Retro One10 will be there I'm not sure, I guess it depends if Merton can hold his resolve. There will be a some G3 Compacts though, possibly a Retro Two10 and a fair bit of Ashdown gear...
[/quote]

I am trying very hard to hold my resolve, I have a house and a wedding to pay for... ;)

Will PM you all a bit later :)

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1444232703' post='2881421']

[/quote]

We're your way too - in Twickenham and Hampton Hill. Got a One10 each and a Super Twin. Mentioned in another thread that we're aiming to A/B my 74 SVT stack with the Barefaced gear and a VT Bass DI. Interesting to see how two On10s compare to an Ampeg 810

[quote name='tonewheels' timestamp='1444252184' post='2881682']

We're your way too - in Twickenham and Hampton Hill. Got a One10 each and a Super Twin. Mentioned in another thread that we're aiming to A/B my 74 SVT stack with the Barefaced gear and a VT Bass DI. Interesting to see how two On10s compare to an Ampeg 810
[/quote]

I'll add you to my PM trail :)

[quote name='dustandbarley' timestamp='1444225694' post='2881324']

Warm, smooth and creamy. There were no noticeable peaks in the mids, and the bottom end sounded full. IMO - I can't disagree with what the Barefaced website says about the sound - "[b]Tone - Big, warm and fat.[/b] Don't let the size deceive you. Sweet treble and smooth mids. Push it hard and it gets growly and thick."

[/quote]

Maybe it's because I'm working nights but I had to read that twice to confirm it is actually a bass cab your describing.

Sorry, I'll have a word with myself :-p

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1444240753' post='2881525']
I am trying very hard to hold my resolve, I have a house and a wedding to pay for... ;)

Will PM you all a bit later :)
[/quote]

Keep buying when you still can, after wedding it will be very difficult ....... I have GAS for Bareface cab atm but wife says no. Maybe I need to hurt my back when lifting the trace elliot to prove i do need a bareface cab lol.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1444386017' post='2882748']
Sorry if this has been addressed earlier but can someone tell me how's the porting (if any) on this cab?
[/quote]

Its a 'hybrid resonator' according to Alex, so it behaves a bit differently to a regular port. My recollection is that it designed to have two tuning frequencies rather than one, but don't quote me on that.