Why become a member? ×

Michael Kelly Variable Set Neck Bass

warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='276545' date='Sep 3 2008, 09:01 PM']Has anyone encountered this system before?

[url="http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/acoustic_guitars.html"]http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/acoustic_guitars.html[/url]

It looks intriguing... but![/quote]
That looks like it could be a brilliant idea. The one thing I don't like about set necks is that they can't be shimmed so setting them up is always less flexible. I managed to get my cheapie stratacoustic playing really well by shimming it as it has a standard bolt-on strat neck, whereas my much more classy 80s washburn acoustic has really high action which I can't do much about as it probably needs a neck reset.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='277515' date='Sep 5 2008, 01:36 AM']It's not a "set neck" - it's a neck with a variable set. Interesting bit of engineering, I suppose, but I fail to see a pronounced advantage over shimming a conventional detachable neck.

Jon.[/quote]

Don't often get conventional detachable necks on acoustics?

Babicz use this system on their acoustics and it's amazing. It doesn't even put the guitar out of tune when you go from low to high etc.....

They're the only acoustic guitar I've seen with an action as low as an electric.

Don't know how it'll work on a bass though.......

D.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='277515' date='Sep 5 2008, 01:36 AM']It's not a "set neck" - it's a neck with a variable set. Interesting bit of engineering, I suppose, but I fail to see a pronounced advantage over shimming a conventional detachable neck.

Jon.[/quote]

I'd say that the fact that you don't have to detach the neck is pretty handy.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='277633' date='Sep 5 2008, 10:10 AM']Babicz use this system on their acoustics and it's amazing. It doesn't even put the guitar out of tune when you go from low to high etc.....

They're the only acoustic guitar I've seen with an action as low as an electric.[/quote]

I played one of those Babicz acoustics when I was in the States earlier this year. Weird but played and sounded wonderful. If I didn't go there with the thought of getting a 12 I might have bought one.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='278055' date='Sep 5 2008, 05:30 PM']Nice idea, nice engineering, but plainly to compensate for the lack of adjustable bridge saddles on acoustics.
[b]I also have reservations about how it might affect the integrity of the neck/body joint[/b] and the affect this might haved on tone. Particularly on a bass.[/quote]

This is my main concern!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='278055' date='Sep 5 2008, 05:30 PM']Nice idea, nice engineering, but plainly to compensate for the lack of adjustable bridge saddles on acoustics.[/quote]

I think that's the main advantage it offers-
you can easily change the action without having to change the bridge saddle, or file it down/shim it, say if you wanted to lower it for faster playing, or raise it to allow harder playing for more volume or for slide playing.
although surely someone's done adjustable bridge saddles on acoustics?

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='277543' date='Sep 5 2008, 08:22 AM']Don't often get conventional detachable necks on acoustics?[/quote]
Don't often get over-engineered gimmick necks either! :)

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='277796' date='Sep 5 2008, 01:34 PM']I'd say that the fact that you don't have to detach the neck is pretty handy.[/quote]
Only in the same sense that that Gibson "robot guitar" makes not having to tune up yourself handy. Realistically, a good setup will include - if necessary & possible on the instrument in question - adjusting neck set as well as relief, and should last at least as long as the set of strings you're using.

Like I say, this is interesting but I can't help feeling developing an acoustic-specific adjustable bridge would address any & every issue this seeks to solve - plus allowing for proper, accurate intonation & individual string height. To be honest, it's always baffled me why acoustic guitars & basses don't tend to have fully-adjustable bridges, and beyond tradition, I can't see a clear reason.

J.