Why become a member? ×

Advice on getting that 'Gallien Krueger' tone at bedroom vols

goonieman

Hi All,

I really love the GK growl from GK 2001RB amps... apparently something to do with plate voltages or something.

My question is, can I get that low driven sound at bedroom levels using a smaller GK combo?

...and to cut you off: I don't want to use an amp sim/PC, and my impression is that if I use a drive pedal, it will overdrive the whole frequency spectrum.

The beauty of playing a driven GK at volume is that the bass notes growl, while the mids and highs are relatively pristine. If I DID get a pedal, it would need to isolate the lows and overdrive them alone. Is there a (simple and cheapish) pedal that does that?

thanks

Sad to relate, I suspect that you may be embarking on a (possibly) fruitless quest but one that will (probably) be very expensive.

In my admittedly limited experience, things that sound really good when loud hardly ever sound really good when quiet, no matter how many electronic thingies you chuck at them.

I'd suggest you concentrate on simply finding something that sounds really good when quiet.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1440957259' post='2854980']
I'd suggest you concentrate on simply finding something that sounds really good when quiet.

:)
[/quote]

Indeed... indeed.

In my experience - there are few shortcuts. However, through much experimentation and luck, I have in the past managed to obtain some very good results.

I'm just wondering if this is one of those times, or whether I should stick to amp sims/ plugins to get THAT tone.

Edited by goonieman

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1440961047' post='2854998']
Have you tried using some kind of attenuator between amp & cab so you can run the amp at gig settings but control the overall output?
[/quote]

+1 to this

I use an attenuator on my valve guitar amps for just this reason and it works wonders. Never tried it on a bass amp but I imagine it would be just what you are after if the sound you want comes from driving parts of the amp hard.

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1440962614' post='2855014']
hmmm... not a bad idea. I've never even thought of an attenuator for a bass amp. A guitar amp, yes.
[/quote]

This is the one that I use - no idea about the rules of using one with a bass amp so might be worth dropping the guys at THD an email if you decide to go that way. I've dealt with them a couple of times and they've always been very friendly and quick to respond.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_hotplate.html

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1440975107' post='2855105']
Get an MB500 - it has a boost control giving you the GK grit at any volume.I think with the bigger GKs volume is the only way - maybe a Marshall Power Break would help?
[/quote]

oooh, I did not know the boost was in the MB500! It seems its the same amp in the MB210 and MB212 as well.

Now you got me thinking... I think that might be the best simple solution to my quandary. Thanks!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1441019290' post='2855317']
I think attenuators are for valve power stages only and not any other type.

Definitely check with the manufacturer before use.
[/quote]

Depends on the attenuator. The Tom Sholtz Powersoak (not made anymore but pretty easy to find one secondhand) for instance is switchable between valve & solid state uses.

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1440957065' post='2854977']
Thanks Macdaddy.

I've looked into that... it's more like a classic overdrive. It overdrives the whole spectrum, and doesn't have that shaking burpy low end.
[/quote]

I've been messing around with some sounds this evening and I've had quite a bit of success with using a parametric EQ to get this kind of tone. It might be worth having a go yourself and seeing what you think. I've only been using the cheap one that comes on-board the Zoom MS60-B pedal but it allows you to drive the gain to low frequencies hard while retaining a clear top end and it sounds pretty convincing.

Not sure if that is much help but I thought it would be worth putting out there as an option to consider before you go for something far more expensive.

JohnK_10 from Talkbass and Frank Appleton from FEA Labs co-designed an overdrive that simulates a GK amp. Entire thread is here:

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/gk-rails-in-a-pedal.1122467/

John's site:

http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/index.html

If you email him, he should build you one!

[email protected]

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1441177873' post='2856597']
JohnK_10 from Talkbass and Frank Appleton from FEA Labs co-designed an overdrive that simulates a GK amp. Entire thread is here:

[/quote]

wow - people think of everything. A 'rails' pedal. That would be it... but something in me can't help be purist about it and just get a GK amp.
I would love to give a try though.

GK should probably do a production line version of its boost circuit.