Why become a member? ×

quick question: USA stingray SUB nut width...

goonieman

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1439934689' post='2846981']
Hi all,

I've been considering the USA SUB series... but prefer slimmer jazz style width and profile.

Can anyone tell me the specs on the made in USA sub neck please? [been googling for a while and finding conflicting data]

Thanks
[/quote]

The USA EBMM SUB is not slim like a Jazz. It's the same as a Stingray of the same period (2003-2006), which means wide, and on the whole not too different from a Precision.
I'll measure it when I get home if you don't get an answer but I imagine it'll be around 42mm wide.
The only SUB that is thinner is the "Sterling by MusicMan" SUB, which is a very different animal (and not USA made), or the EBMM Sterling SUB (USA, again from 2003-2006 period), which is pretty rare. But they exist! I know a guy in Edinburgh who has one.

edit: 44mm??? Are you sure? That's Classic 50 Precision territory -which I love- but the Stingray and SUB I have are a *little* narrower.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mikeycrikey' timestamp='1440080960' post='2848120']
Just measured the neck on my MM sub and it was 44 mm at the nut and 57mm at the 12th fret give or take a millimetre to allow for my dodgy glasses. Hope it helps
[/quote]

I still haven't measured mine, but it must be true. Wow, really? It doesn't feel it, which goes to show that a lot of the feel is the profile, the depth, not so much the width, I guess!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1440081851' post='2848130']
I still haven't measured mine, but it must be true. Wow, really? It doesn't feel it, which goes to show that a lot of the feel is the profile, the depth, not so much the width, I guess!
[/quote]

I agree completely. Although the width is 44mm it doesn't feel like it at all. The profile of the neck might be something to do with it, I don't really know, but whatever the reason, it feels very playable to me.

These are great basses at any price but a total bargain for what they sell for. ;)

Frank.

I couldn't agree more - I've just bought a well used 5 in white - still with the checker plate pickguard - absolutely love it and fills my urge for a 2 band rosewood board MM 5. The neck feel reminds me exactly of my Bongo, and I think it has a standard 11 mm radius. Plays and sounds absolutely great.

I have just measured my US Sub 5 - outer edge of strings at nut = 44 mm, actual neck width there 49 mm; at 12th fret outer edge of strings, 59 mm, actual neck width there 68 mm.

This may be of interest to McNach but it is a very early build, late 2003 bass and although I haven't looked to check it sounds distinctly like it has series wiring (especially noticeable in slap and pop sound higher up the neck). Whatever, it's an awesome playing, sounding and looking bass and I certainly will be keeping it stock - it feels extremely light, to the extent it has significant deck dive when played seated - balances great on a strap and has been gigged several times already. A pity the previous owner put one or two nasty dings in the textured paint finish ......... but hey ho!!!!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1440115836' post='2848472']
I couldn't agree more - I've just bought a well used 5 in white - still with the checker plate pickguard - absolutely love it and fills my urge for a 2 band rosewood board MM 5. The neck feel reminds me exactly of my Bongo, and I think it has a standard 11 mm radius. Plays and sounds absolutely great.

I have just measured my US Sub 5 - outer edge of strings at nut = 44 mm, actual neck width there 49 mm; at 12th fret outer edge of strings, 59 mm, actual neck width there 68 mm.

This may be of interest to McNach but it is a very early build, late 2003 bass and although I haven't looked to check it sounds distinctly like it has series wiring (especially noticeable in slap and pop sound higher up the neck). Whatever, it's an awesome playing, sounding and looking bass and I certainly will be keeping it stock - it feels extremely light, to the extent it has significant deck dive when played seated - balances great on a strap and has been gigged several times already. A pity the previous owner put one or two nasty dings in the textured paint finish ......... but hey ho!!!!
[/quote]

Thanks! I'm always curious about the SUBs :)
Late 2003 SUB5? I had a 2004 which was parallel. However I know that 2003 and at least some way into 2004 4-string SUBs seem to be wired in series (at least, every single one I know of is).
It always seemed strange to me that at a time where the SR5 was ceramic, they'd put an alnico into the SUB5 making the SUB5 "THE real" Stingray 5-string: I thought the point was using components they already manufactured, not making new ones. But I love that there is variation.

My series-wired SUB is lovely. I think it suits the 2EQ better than the parallel configuration (to this ears of mine!). It still sounds clearly "Stingray", but the extra punch, and using stainless strings, is just perfect. I had another SUB, a later one wired in parallel with the compensated nut (so 2005-2006?), and between the two the 2003 was the one that got all the action.
Nothing wrong with the 2005 one, it sounded much like my 2EQ 2002 natural/maple Stingray - before I replaced the preamp for a John East 3-band. The 3-band adds versatility, but after my experience, I think instead of changing the preamp I would have tried to wire the pickup in series instead.
It's a little fiddly, as it one has 2 wires, so you need to rewire it a bit but it's doable if one is careful.

Ok, enough rambling for now... I'm not sure what my point was, or whether there was one :lol: I just read "SUB5 - series" and it got my interest ;)

If you ever get around to lifting the pickup and check the actual wiring, don't forget to post the results here, please :)
looking at the wiring will be the definite proof that SUB5s also came in series at some point.

I should not have sold mine :( Amazing basses