Why become a member? ×

How long do you actually spend rehearsing?

Roger2611

I try to practice everyday - meaning I'll run the sets of my regular band (iPod playlists) or work on my walking or right hand technique, but actual rehearsal (playing with the band) happens once a month or less.

We all live in different parts of the country (Leicestershire, Lancashire, Manchester and the Fylde coast), so all getting together to rehearse is a bit of a logistical nightmare. On the plus side though, everyone does their homework, and we plug in and we're pretty much gig-ready in an hour or two. :)

Band rehearsals only happen if we have songs to learn for upcoming weddings and we might go through the tunes for the next 3 or 4 weddings in one 2-3 hour rehearsal.

I only ever bring my bass out to go over these songs a couple of times at home so maybe 30 minutes every 3-4 weeks at the most.

I think other forum members who have played in wedding bands for a long time might agree with me that being in these bands for a long period of time means that you tend to pick things up quicker if you're in the kind of band that will play requests that you don't really know regularly.

Wouldn't be the first time that I've played a song at a wedding that I'd never heard of the artist, never mind the song itself.

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1439756847' post='2845568']
Yeah that probably was a bit toolish of me but telling kids to practice getting stoned and drunk to help with their playing is a best pretty dubious!
[/quote]
Ha ha, totally dubious! As if you'd say that to 18 yr olds! Madness. I wouldn't do it!

depends how many gigs we've got, there's no substitute for playing live, if you're doing 2 or 3 gigs a month, with more or less the same set, there's no real need for band rehearsals I practice the songs I have trouble with at home along with any new ones, On the subject of boozing, I have a pint at half time then another near the end, our ex guitarist used to get pissed sometimes and, frankly, let the rest of the band down, unfortunately he couldn't see it, or didn't care