Why become a member? ×

Bloody Drummers!!!!

4-string-thing

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1438667599' post='2836164']
Sorry mate, I don't wish this to sound rude, but it's nuts.
You don't want to be gigging that often, yet you want a "decent" drummer to commit to you alone.
I don't know how things operate round your way, but I can only wish you good luck with that.
[/quote]
Yeah I agree here. As long as there's a first come first served policy on reserving dates then having various members in various different projects is pretty much the norm. You just need to agree some terms from the start and have a good diary system to avoid an awkward situation. If he agrees to a date with you then he's not allowed to cancel at a later date when he is offered a gig with his other band or something similar.

Actually, he is a pretty decent drummer, I've been in a band with him before so I know he can play. He has a wife and youngish kids so I know that one or two gigs a month is enough for him. I know drummers like to be in more than one band (for some reason) and guess that's acceptable to most (we were fine with it with our previous drummer, til it got too much for him, 4 bands was too many) The only issue I can see is the electronic drum kit, if he is happy to buy an acoustic kit for gigs, or even just play one that I buy, then it's not really an issue.

I also know that finding a good drummer who is committed to just one band is nigh on impossible. We're auditioning him tomorrow and will see how things go....

I've been playing guitar since I was 7 (30 now) and never been in a band on guitar. I've played bass since I was 17 and have been in 2 bands on bass. I've played drums since I was 21 and already been in 5 bands on drums, and I get offers all the time. I never get offers on other instruments!

So I guess it's not that drummers are particularly "promiscuous" but they just get invited to more bands, maybe due to a lack of supply?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1438686922' post='2836350']
So I guess it's not that drummers are particularly "promiscuous" but they just get invited to more bands, maybe due to a lack of supply?
[/quote]

Well, yes - you're obviously a competent drummer. I'm sure crap drummers don't get quite so many offers.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1438673216' post='2836207']
Yeah I agree here. As long as there's a first come first served policy on reserving dates then having various members in various different projects is pretty much the norm. You just need to agree some terms from the start and have a good diary system to avoid an awkward situation. If he agrees to a date with you then he's not allowed to cancel at a later date when he is offered a gig with his other band or something similar.
[/quote]

I never get this 1st come, 1st served nonsense tbh... but if you do take a gig, and then pull out it is down to you to sort out to the satisfaction of all concerned.

You just need to know what the deal is... and deal with it as professionally as possible.

Some of the guys I can use will tell me straight that my gig is their 3rd choice. As long as you know up front and understand why, things are manageable.
You'll not get to use them at all otherwise. Some people find that untenable, others don't. I'm with the latter.
Diary's are easy for most people the vast majority of the time but if you can't use one, then there is not much that can help you to be honest.
It is right up there with being able to play....in importance. That and good comms and reliability.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1438691566' post='2836405']

I never get this 1st come, 1st served nonsense tbh...
[/quote]
May be nonsense to you but if a drummer or anyone else cancels after agreeing to a date they have two choices. First is to arrange a dep who is as good as them and do all the leg work. Second is to not play with us again. I make that perfectly clear before people join us and have only had to act on it once in 17yrs of function work.

But... to be fair, there is always a better gig for those in demand.
I don't mean they need to be an ar$e about it but if you are pulling down a level..and they are happy to play with
you because you are at worth gigging with, then accept that their main bands are the ones they have to commit to.

Generally I'll get about 2 weeks notice but if I didn't do this, I wouldn't get that calibre of player.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1438709976' post='2836628']
But... to be fair, there is always a better gig for those in demand.
I don't mean they need to be an ar$e about it but if you are pulling down a level..and they are happy to play with
you because you are at worth gigging with, then accept that their main bands are the ones they have to commit to.

Generally I'll get about 2 weeks notice but if I didn't do this, I wouldn't get that calibre of player.
[/quote]

Our drummer, keys player and guitarist are all pros and with the exception of our singer we all work with other bands or on other projects but we all really look after our commitment to the function band. Our guitarist has been touring with Tony Hadley for years and still has a certain amount of commitment there but he knows we are his bread and butter income now (especially with Spandau Ballet more active again) and plays by the rules 100%. The OP can at least set his band's expectations out from day one and at least then the drummer will know whats expected of him if he accepts the seat.

[quote name='Shedua511' timestamp='1438711209' post='2836633']
I love a good electronic drum kit: the really good one sound great, take up less space, are very easy to move, soundcheck takes a minute and volume is never a problem. OK, an acoustic kit looks cooler, but so does an upright bass :P
[/quote]

Strangely enough, he said it's a pain to transport. I can see that it's easier with regards to soundcheck and overall levels etc though. It's just the visual thing that I have problems with....

Just out of curiosity, is this the sort of drum kit that is being suggested by some?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-Rydeen-Drum-kit-excellent-condition-with-additional-Paiste-cymbal-/161770809126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25aa4aa726

I didn't know that you can buy acoustic drum kits of a known brand for £58. Not that I want to buy one, I'm just a nosey b'tard.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1438714947' post='2836655']
Our drummer, keys player and guitarist are all pros and with the exception of our singer we all work with other bands or on other projects but we all really look after our commitment to the function band. Our guitarist has been touring with Tony Hadley for years and still has a certain amount of commitment there but he knows we are his bread and butter income now (especially with Spandau Ballet more active again) and plays by the rules 100%. The OP can at least set his band's expectations out from day one and at least then the drummer will know whats expected of him if he accepts the seat.
[/quote]

I think the Tony Hadley gig wins... if he comes calling again. Function gigs are two a penny by comparison.
It shouldn't be a problem unless you make it one... he'll do it anyway, IME, just I wouldn't fall out over it, burn bridges
or get too precious about it. I'd actually be glad that they could still get the gig... I certainly wouldn't try to hold them
..because I'm pretty sure you'd lose.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1438725220' post='2836790']
I think the Tony Hadley gig wins... if he comes calling again. Function gigs are two a penny by comparison.
It shouldn't be a problem unless you make it one... he'll do it anyway, IME, just I wouldn't fall out over it, burn bridges
or get too precious about it. I'd actually be glad that they could still get the gig... I certainly wouldn't try to hold them
..because I'm pretty sure you'd lose.
[/quote]
Yeah but he's been with us six years and Tony Hadley for 12 and it's never been a problem. He has a list of deps available he can use for the functions but he takes full responsibility for filling his slot if hes away. Hes going to be in the house band at the rewind festival in a few weeks so is missing a wedding with us. He already sorted and briefed the dep. Speaking to him last night he said that decent function gigs are far from two a penny and will never risk losing the regular stuff he gets with us. Nobody is trying to hold anyone and he knows that if he wants to do other stuff he can but while he is a member of our band he has a certain responsibility to cover himself with us if he's already agreed to a booking. I guess a lot comes down to the individual too but like I said from the start it's just about agreeing terms from day one. We didn't force him to join. He auditioned along with a good dozen others, we discussed what we needed and what he needed, we offered him the slot and he willingly accepted. Over 200 gigs later he's as much a part of the band as any of the others. We did exactly the same with the drummer we took on last year and there's no reason why the OP can't do the same with any drummer his band takes on.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1438595589' post='2835593']
We have another guy auditioning on Wednesday, I know him and have played with him before, he loves our stuff and has no other bands on the go..... Great! He however, has just told me he now only has an electronic kit.... Great for practice but looks rubbish at gigs (we play 60's RnB) [/quote]

I'm sure you would be upset if you didnt get a gig because your rig or bass didnt "look the part". And, having played in a couple of bands with electronic drums I can tell you its a complete game changer in term of the quality and controlability of the bands overall sound so long as there is decent amplification for it. Sure in one of the bands which was a blues band we had the odd purist grumble about how its not right etc but the vast majority of punters didnt care (assuming they even noticed).

My band once had a pro drummer agree to to do a dep gig for us at a British Legion club in Watford. He pulled out a couple weeks before because he got a better offer, a gig with George Michael in Paris. Can't say I blame him at all.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1438767147' post='2836978']

I'm sure you would be upset if you didnt get a gig because your rig or bass didnt "look the part". And, having played in a couple of bands with electronic drums I can tell you its a complete game changer in term of the quality and controlability of the bands overall sound so long as there is decent amplification for it. Sure in one of the bands which was a blues band we had the odd purist grumble about how its not right etc but the vast majority of punters didnt care (assuming they even noticed).
[/quote]Good point - the curse of purism.