Why become a member? ×

Bloody Drummers!!!!

4-string-thing

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1438767147' post='2836978']
I'm sure you would be upset if you didnt get a gig because your rig or bass didnt "look the part". And, having played in a couple of bands with electronic drums I can tell you its a complete game changer in term of the quality and controlability of the bands overall sound so long as there is decent amplification for it. Sure in one of the bands which was a blues band we had the odd purist grumble about how its not right etc but the vast majority of punters didnt care (assuming they even noticed).
[/quote]

Not really, as I think I have enough kit to cover pretty much any gig offered, and if not, I'd be prepared to get whatever was needed (except if they specified anything by Ampeg or Peavey) Although I was once turned down by an Oasis tribute because I didn't have a sunburst jazz....

Yes, electronic drums may well be a "game changer" but as the drummer has already said that they're a pain to transport, plus the fact that we'd need to use more P.A to amplify them, which is also a pain to transport, means that surely the cons outweigh the pros?

No I wouldn't be upset ...but then again I know my kit covers a lot of ground.

It can look the part and sound the part...so the only thing not getting that gig is me.
The balance is about right....

Of course, if you run things against the grain... then expect it to cost you

Well, that went rather well.... Tried out my old drumming mate tonight, he played really well, loves our material and is happy to commit to just the one band. Want's to rehearse weekly (Sunday evening, which is our preferred time) gig once or twice a month and doesn't mind playing my acoustic drum kit, which I've bought for peanuts and am picking up tomorrow (or his electronic kit if required) So, it looks like I've found the holy grail after all...

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1438817263' post='2837757']
Well, that went rather well.... Tried out my old drumming mate tonight, he played really well, loves our material and is happy to commit to just the one band. Want's to rehearse weekly (Sunday evening, which is our preferred time) gig once or twice a month and doesn't mind playing my acoustic drum kit, which I've bought for peanuts and am picking up tomorrow (or his electronic kit if required) So, it looks like I've found the holy grail after all...
[/quote]

Already? Christ, that's bloody annoying! :D

Well, yes it did go a bit too well.... My only issue is how the electronic drum kit looks on stage, but as I have just gone down the small, lightweight route with my rig, it would be a bit hypocritical to moan about him doing the same I suppose! I mean, for a true 60's image, I'd need a Fender Bassman with a 2x15 or a Vox with an 18" cab and a couple of Wem columns for the PA....

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1438773710' post='2837068']
Yes, electronic drums may well be a "game changer" but as the drummer has already said that they're a pain to transport, plus the fact that we'd need to use more P.A to amplify them, which is also a pain to transport, means that surely the cons outweigh the pros?
[/quote]

Neither of these seemed to be a problem in the bands I played in. In both cases I recall the setup and break down as being much quicker than a normal kit, amplification wise a decently powerful keyboard type combo plus a feed into a modestly powered typical vocal only PA did the job.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1438858271' post='2838040']
How did a "vocal only" PA cope with a bass drum?
[/quote]

I used the phrase to indicate a typical "budget" ~ 600 ish watt PA typically used by bands using mainly backline amps, a smidge of electronic drums (with most of the grunt comming from the drummers combo) didnt do any harm. If anything the processed sound of a drum module is a lot easier for moderate power PA to cope with compared to say miking up a real bass drum which seems to make any headroom vanish in the mist on anything less than 2-3K.

At the end of they day, I've been there, done it, and it worked ...

Edited by bassman7755

To be fair, apart from the visual aspect, I'm ok with electronic kits and I'm sure my hearing will benefit in the long run! And as it won't be me that has to transport the kit or the PA, I should be happy!

It also gives us the opportunity to record demos at home rather than going into a studio, as I can just plug it straight into my desk, DI the bass and shove the guitar amp in the hallway with a mic in front of it....