Why become a member? ×

The Beatles Curse

blue

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1438323813' post='2833501']
And Chuck Berry had absolutely no influence then?
[/quote]

Good question, I don't know where Chuck got his stuff from. Chuck was a little before my time.

Blue

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1438326351' post='2833512']
I can draw a similar comparison to music today as movies today.

There have been some great movies made but it seems that the further into the future we get the more one film is like another and the more that we get remakes. For me, this is the same as music. It's more or less all been done before so it's hard to come up with something new. Occasionally someone will break through but it's becoming harder as if you're really into music you've heard it all before.

I disagree that if you weren't there then you missed it as I have fond memories of listening to a great number of bands for the first time and playing the songs over and over again. Just being overwhelmed by the tracks and how they did it.
[/quote]

It's great that you have an appreciation for some of the music of that time. However, being there was a lot more than listening and being overwhelmed by the tracks. It was a way of life.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438361043' post='2833962']
Good question, I don't know where Chuck got his stuff from. Chuck was a little before my time.

Blue
[/quote]

In terms of guitar style and stage moves, T-Bone Walker. Songwriting-wise, among many others - Big Joe Turner and Louis Jordan (listen to [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR6pHtiNT_k"]Caldonia[/url] and imagine it as a shuffle rather than swing).

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1438331174' post='2833551']
Most of the guitarists I came across of my sort of age were influenced by Chuck Berry and Hank Marvin. The Shadows were releasing guitar led instrumentals in 1960 and Chuck Berry was a guitar hero long before that.
[/quote]

True, But I think George got the message out to a few more people.

Blue

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1438333727' post='2833591']
Nah - there's more to it than that. As I've said before, they were a freak perfect storm.

Energy, looks, stage presence, writing skills, instrumental skills, musical knowledge, a thirst to learn more, a thirst to succeed.

If the Dave Clark Five had gone over there first with a back catalogue ready to go, do you really think they'd have made the same impact?
[/quote]

I like where your heads at. Great point!

Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1438344289' post='2833725']
Talking about guitars. . . I think George Harrison just wanted to be Carl Perkins. I see GH as more as a song writer not really up there as a guitarist, although he later developed a very unique style.

The Dave Clark 5 and Hermans Hermits were bigger in the US than the Beatles for a brief period. But quality won out in the end.

The Beatles would have disappeared if it wasn't for other bands? You're having a laugh! The other bands were bands. The Beatles were a cultural phenomenon, as well as being the best of the bunch by a country mile. Where are the other bands of that era? Who fundamentally changed popular culture, music, song writing and recording? It wasn't the Hollies, Animals, Kinks or Gerry and the Pacemakers.
[/quote]

Ouch! Well done Chris

Blue.

I was born in March 1960. My memory of the Beatles was 'She Loves You.' I was singing the chorus repeatedly at that young age. My Parents bought me an orange coloured plastic acoustic guitar with the fab four's pictures and autographs on it. Being so young, their pop songs appealed, but so did Freddy And The Dreamers, Gerry And The Pacemakers and Herman's Hermits. In the 70's, Slade were my inspiration, followed by the Stranglers, (the main reason I picked up a bass.) I was too young to understand how the Beatles affected the world of music at the time, all these years later, it makes sense. I met and shook hands with Bert Weedon a few years before his death, my mate asked who he was. Just a massive reason we had the Beatles mate.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1438362223' post='2833981']
In terms of guitar style and stage moves, T-Bone Walker. Songwriting-wise, among many others - Big Joe Turner and Louis Jordan (listen to [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR6pHtiNT_k"]Caldonia[/url] and imagine it as a shuffle rather than swing).
[/quote]

Let's not forget Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeaBNAXfHfQ

[quote name='Bikenbass' timestamp='1438362791' post='2833996']
I was born in March 1960. My memory of the Beatles was 'She Loves You.' I was singing the chorus repeatedly at that young age. My Parents bought me an orange coloured plastic acoustic guitar with the fab four's pictures and autographs on it. Being so young, their pop songs appealed, but so did Freddy And The Dreamers, Gerry And The Pacemakers and Herman's Hermits. In the 70's, Slade were my inspiration, followed by the Stranglers, (the main reason I picked up a bass.) I was too young to understand how the Beatles affected the world of music at the time, all these years later, it makes sense. I met and shook hands with Bert Weedon a few years before his death, my mate asked who he was. Just a massive reason we had the Beatles mate.
[/quote]

As a kid I remember watching all those black & white clips of all Mersey Beat Bands. I remember always thinking,[i]" I've got to get over there"[/i]

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438360231' post='2833953']

I don't see many rock bands today playing completely live and singing 2 & 3 part harmonies.

Blue
[/quote]

You haven't had the opportunity to see the UK band Dodgy then?

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1438385781' post='2834235']
The Beatles were decent... but they didn't write a riff like Davidian by Machine Head.
[/quote]

There's lots of songs and riffs they didn't write.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1438370225' post='2834088']
As a kid I remember watching all those black & white clips of all Mersey Beat Bands. I remember always thinking,[i]" I've got to get over there"[/i]

Blue
[/quote]

S'funny that.

Most of US were watching American TV programmes like 77 Sunset Strip, seeing everything shiny chrome and those 60s cars with tailfins and thinking the same thing.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1438457512' post='2834690']
This thread should read The Beatles Blessing. They were and are head and shoulders above anything at the time or since. That 'Beatles and the Stones' phrase always makes me laugh, the Stones weren't in the same league.
[/quote]

Agreed, I have been following The Stones since 1964, seen them tons of times. The last time I saw them was in Milwaukee, last month in our small Marcus Amphitheater. The Stone have always been in a league of their own.

Blue