Why become a member? ×

Class D amps lack uumph?

Guest MoJo

I was talking to a High end amp maker the other day and he said they had considered Class D at some point but he was very very sceptical
about some of the power ratings that are claimed.

This tallies with my thinking that the only two amps I've used recently that put out something close to what they say they do
are the Thunderfunk 550-B and the DB750. Of course, these are not class D, and you only have to be as loud as you need to be
so a figure is largely useless... but I know what amps will fill which sort of stages and room and how hard I have to drive them to do it.
And I know which ones don't...and have no chance.

Because of the way I play, I don't get the input stage really working hard so I go for a bigger amp, and it is at this point,
I'm thinking how much guts the amp has.

So call me sceptical as well.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1437989500' post='2830492']
The more people say things like this the more I want one :blink:
[/quote]

I get good gtrs saying in conversation that they like the Demeter...and I'm not even playing at their gig.. :lol:

So, yes, currently liking it a lot. but it isn't the DB...but who is pretending it is.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1450693264' post='2934854']
I was talking to a High end amp maker the other day and he said they had considered Class D at some point but he was very very sceptical
about some of the power ratings that are claimed.

This tallies with my thinking that the only two amps I've used recently that put out something close to what they say they do
are the Thunderfunk 550-B and the DB750. Of course, these are not class D, and you only have to be as loud as you need to be
so a figure is largely useless... but I know what amps will fill which sort of stages and room and how hard I have to drive them to do it.
And I know which ones don't...and have no chance.

Because of the way I play, I don't get the input stage really working hard so I go for a bigger amp, and it is at this point,
I'm thinking how much guts the amp has.

So call me sceptical as well.
[/quote]
Yup. Kudos to EBS for being more honest with the ratings for the Reidmar.

Like a handful of others, I've been saying for a long time that the current Class D's aren't all they're cracked up to be. It's diet vs. full-fat Coke, and I think more people are starting to realise.

Some people like the baked-in side-effects of course, and that's fine.

Not scientific but for fun. Why doesn't someone get together at the next bass bash a small selection of class d amps and a small selection of other amps similar power rating.
Then run them all through the same cab etc would be mainly for fun. Then we can all agree that class d lacks uumph and that valve watts are louder and not forgetting that Trace Elliot British watts are louder too lol.

Is it not a case of class d amps power ratings are actually close too there ratings and that manufactures these days are not underspecing there ratings. It seems a lot of older quality amps were indeed really under rated in what power they were putting out in real world use.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1450697773' post='2934897']
Why doesn't someone get together at the next bass bash a small selection of class d amps and a small selection of other amps similar power rating.
[/quote]

We already did that last year at the SE Bass Bash. We put valve, SS and D class amps through a Barefaced 212.

The results were closer than you'd expect. There were no turkeys and nothing sounded bad.

Also, nothing sounded good enough to make me want to sell my TH500, which sounds perfect when going through either my Bergs or Barefaced cabs.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1450706548' post='2935024']
My TecAmp Puma 900 has more than enough ooomph for me.....the advantage of classD (compact/lightweight/portable) far outweigh any (imperceptible?) placebo effect on tone/oomph of an A/B.
[/quote]
The Puma is a fine amp. However to my surprise, The cheap and cheerful Kustom KXB 500 is my go to amp now, whilst the Puma is now my back up. The KXB has seroius ooomph. Real heft to the notes. I have been through several micro amps (Puma, various Markbass, TH500) and the KXB500 is king of that ring IME and by some distance.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1450702693' post='2934958']

We already did that last year at the SE Bass Bash. We put valve, SS and D class amps through a Barefaced 212.

The results were closer than you'd expect. There were no turkeys and nothing sounded bad.

Also, nothing sounded good enough to make me want to sell my TH500, which sounds perfect when going through either my Bergs or Barefaced cabs.
[/quote]

Was this filmed? If so I would like to see. Was db measurements taken? Slightly jealous I wasn't there sounds interesting.

I've had two class D amps - an Ampeg PF-500 and my current Markbass BigBang.

Both rated the same power wise but the Ampeg just didn't cut it - even at rehearsal volumes it's sound nasty and even thermal cut-out. The MB, by contrast has coped perfectly with everything I've asked it to do. If A/B gear is so much better then it must be truly stunning but I doubt it's really noticeable for the bulk of venues.