Why become a member? ×

Chuck Berry at the BBC in 1972

PaulWarning

In some of the clubs it seems the standard way of getting paid, when the promoter started getting funny about the money, was to pull out your pistol and put it on the table. As a reminder that you wanted [i]all[/i] the money.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1436726527' post='2820268']
In some of the clubs it seems the standard way of getting paid, when the promoter started getting funny about the money, was to pull out your pistol and put it on the table. As a reminder that you wanted [i]all[/i] the money.
[/quote]

Going straight to the promoter is not uncommon for pro bands today.

Ever go to a concert and it's way past show time and you think there is some kind of problem. Usually the delay is caused over money issues that have to be resolved with the promoter.

Blue

It is a bit scary but quite fun when the band don't know what song. In our rockabilly band we do quickfire playing so everyone has to pick a song in turn (from the repertoire, granted) and just start without announcing and everyone just has to come in as best they can. Keeps you on you toes and keeps the set list fresh. As per Mr Berry though, it helps when most of the songs are similar in structure.
Not sure I would like to gig it like that mind. :o

I would love to play bass for Chuck!
The challenge of doing a good job would be enormous but would relish the chance.

Incidentally, believe the bassist in Rocking Horse could have been Billy Kinsley, ex Merseybeats / Merseys.
Seem to remember he played Gibson Thunderbird / Firebirds too?

Re Kinsley, that looks about right reading the wiki entry here;
[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Kinsley"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Kinsley[/url]
Not a bad career, playing on 'Sorrow' in the 60's. Backing Chuck then Rod Stewart, being part of Liverpool Express etc plus all those paying sessions on the 'Top Of The Pops' covers albums - someone had to play 'em!

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1436885224' post='2821712']
they were security cameras, alright!!!! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Ahhh, [i]that's[/i] why he coughed up over a million dollars to the claimants ;)
[url="http://rulefortytwo.com/secret-rock-knowledge/chapter-8/chuck-berry-bathroom-cameras/"]http://rulefortytwo.com/secret-rock-knowledge/chapter-8/chuck-berry-bathroom-cameras/[/url]

Rocking Horse were - Billy Kinsley / bass, Mike Snow / piano, Jim Campbell / guitar and Dave Harrison / drums.
More footage on YouTube -'Chuck Berry Lost Broadcasts 2012' show the band in rehearsal in Germany.

[u]Chuck's rider details here -[/u]
Chuck Berry. The father of rock guitar travels light on the road and is all business. After receiving his total fee via bank wire at least three days before the engagement, Chuck hops a plane, checking his Gibson ES-335, stereo, and one bag. Once Chuck arrives at his destined airport, he is given the keys to the largest, gassed up, four-door Mercedes Benz they can find (excluding Japan), a key to a suite at a “five star” hotel, and $200 per diem to cover his food.

Once at the venue, in addition to the normal sound and stage requirements, Chuck demands a card-carrying American Federation of Musicians band (drummer, bass player, and piano player) that knows his songs. Chuck also needs two matching “unaltered Fender Dual Showman” heads with cabinets and a guitar cable.

A friend of mine did one of these Chuck gigs. He said there was no rehearsal. They stood onstage for about an hour before the show waiting. Chuck walked on two minutes before the curtain opened, plugged in his guitar without tuning, hit an out-of-tune chord to make sure the amp was on, then turned to the band and said, “You all better know the songs. We’re starting with ‘Roll Over Beethoven.’” Not a bad day at the office.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1436886507' post='2821725']
They stood onstage for about an hour before the show waiting. Chuck walked on two minutes before the curtain opened, plugged in his guitar without tuning, hit an out-of-tune chord to make sure the amp was on[/quote]

There was no one back then to get up onstage, tell him he was 'polluting their venue' and shoo them off into the wings ;)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1436884449' post='2821701']
Didn't he get done for secretly filming women in the toilets at a club he owned?
[/quote][quote name='KevB' timestamp='1436884449' post='2821701']
Didn't he get done for secretly filming women in the toilets at a club he owned?
[/quote]

Also did 5 years for transporting a 14 year old white girl across the state line for sex. Convicted twice I think, because the white judge at the first trial made racist remarks and the first verdict was squashed.on appeal.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1436896118' post='2821858']
Think there might have been an armed robbery conviction in his youth as well. Truth is there probably aren't many rock n rollers of his longevity who don't have a few skeletons in the closet.
[/quote]

Precisely. Look at Gary Glitter...

• 3 years later...