Why become a member? ×

please help. i need opinions.

bubinga5

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#373e4d][size=3]just wanted you guys/girls opinion on this. I'm a believer but apparently this bass was given to this guy by David Gilmore. as you may know i posted a thread asking opinions on if i should trade a Lakland 55-02 with a Fender. just want some input. the Bass is a Ltd 50th anniversary flame maple 5 string Fender jazz bass. i said i would never get another Fender, but I'm[/size][/color][/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#373e4d] thinking twice about this one. not [/color][/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#373e4d]because of the Gilmore affiliation, but because these are very difficult to come by. but i do wonder.[/color][/font]

I'm sorry Patrick if you are on BassChat but these are my brothers/sisters, and to them i come for advice.

this is the message he sent me.

quote.

[color=#373E4D][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]No problems if we can negotiate a deal we are both happy with that would be great.I was given the bass by David Gilmour who produced 3 albums for a band I was in called Unicorn,he also covered one of our songs (There's No Way Out Of Here) on his first solo album.He was given one of each of the 50th Anniversary models.He gave me the Jazz 5 string for delivering his old Mercedes down to Cornwall and going back a week later to pick it up.He was flying himself down and back but wanted his car while down there..I'm valuing the Jazz at around £1200 but I'm willing to negotiate.Let me know your thoughts Andrew.[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1436631026' post='2819671']
What difference does it being difficult to come by make?
In my experience limited edition instruments tend to hold their value less than standard ones.
[/quote]yes but do you think this Fender is worth £1200

It seems a bit pricey to me but he does state price is negotiable ,there was one went on here for 700 a while back but i think that was cheap...a fender 5 player recently had my k.s.d.5 off me[ 400 ] and say's he prefers it to his 50th anniversary 5 ,so i guess you should try it first

I've paid more than that for a bass cause i knew i wanted it. no problem,- bought!
i've hummed and hawed over less than a third of that, so if there's doubt, then the answer is no.
Its all about how you feel, not anyone else, if you think its worth it then its worth it, cause its you who will be playing it and you know how much money you have..

With a Fender it's not very easy to put a value until you know more. if it's a CS 50th Anniversary edition (if such a thing exists) then it may well be worth £1200 if you want to pay it. If it's a USA LTD 50th anniversary edition then it may still be close to that. If it's a Mexican built one (i believe some of their anniversary models were) then it's not worth anywhere close to £1200. I'd be wanting a bit more info than you have got.

If that's the case I'd say that you would come out slightly ahead in a like for like swap, purely because people are prepared to pay more for a LTD edition Fender than a Lakland even though I'd say the Lakland has better build quality (consistency). If you are intending to use it as a playing bass and you are happy with your Lakland, then I would stick with your bass, especially if he is wanting cash his way. It depends if you get to play before you trade and how much you want a Fender over a Lakland. Quite a few people are both Pro and Against the Fender Low B so you're gonna need to check it out before you trade.

If it makes a difference to the validity of the story, Dave Gilmour does come to Cornwall quite a bit. Tim Renwick (great guitarist who used to play with Floyd and Clapton-check YouTube) lives about 5mins away from me in a village called Pentewan and Gilmour is known to frequent the village to visit Tim around summer and hang out in the Ship Inn.