Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sit on it.

Viajero

What, if anything, do you sit on when you're practising? I tend to stand up, but really what I need is a decent, tall-ish stool. I've used good ones in pits and rehearsals in various places, but wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations.

K&M's offering is a trifle expensive, Stagg seems to do one with a backrest but I've never used one, and my inner realist suggests an IKEA bar stool might just annoy me. Any ideas?

I rest my rear on my computer seat, 1 of those spinny jobs. Practice in front of my pc so i can play along to tracks I have on my pc or youtube. Had to remove one armrest so that i could rest my bass on my leg without it poking into the armrest.
Zach

Edited by 5_string_death

Nothing swively or with armrests :huh: ...anything else goes :)

I had a short stool (about 2ft high) when I was living at home that was great. With a stool though, whether it be high or low, make sure it has somewhere to rest your feet at a comfortable height. There’s nothing worse than having dangling feet on a high stool. I had to play a half hour acoustic set once with a stool like that…it was so uncomfortable and tiring.

Hi mate,

To be honest it is a little bit but I am used to it now! My feet are square on the floor and my bass rests on my knee quite nicely but not ideal for long periods. The Stagg one looks good, but might look a bit like an S&M device in my lounge!

Cheers
ped

I was feeling a bit flush and bought a full uber-monster Pearl Roadster drum throne for practice. I like it, as I can fold it up and take with me to rehearsals, but it is sturdy enough to use as an office/studio stool as well. It has an adjustable back support too. The seat is designed especially for different drumming techiniques (double pedal etc) so can be adjusted for seating comfort. This seems to work well for my practicing too as I can find a sweet spot for playing. I guess that needs a bit more explaining! - Basically, my strap height is such that when I stand up from a seated position, the bass is in exactly the same position. So A stool that gives me the correct support is perfect!