Why become a member? ×

I think my Amp is shagged.. time for a new one?

Sarah5string

I've got a Laney RBW300 Combo (1x15) which I've recently started using at high volumes (was a practice amp but recently got a gig so started taking it to practices and will be using it tomorrow for aforemetioned giggedy..) and I've noticed that the bottom end becomes distorted and flappy at high volumes. :) It's a 2nd hand amp that's done a fair bit of travelling so I'm presuming that it's on it's way out. It's 165w so not exactly a bedroom practice amp so should be able to keep up.. What do you guys think.. is it time to get a new one?

Edited by Sarah5string

So it doesn't happen at low volumes ? - sounds like the preamp isn't being clipped (which is good) so it might just be the speaker can't handle the volume. Has it always done it ? If not the speaker could be damaged.

And as johnnylager said - it IS always time for a new one :).

[quote name='Machines' post='272271' date='Aug 29 2008, 09:28 AM']So it doesn't happen at low volumes ? - sounds like the preamp isn't being clipped (which is good) so it might just be the speaker can't handle the volume. Has it always done it ? If not the speaker could be damaged.

And as johnnylager said - it IS always time for a new one :huh:.[/quote]
No it sounds great at low volumes, have never had a problem with it. At practice I have been having to turn the volume to max and gain to about 75% though just to be heard above the drums. :)

It'll be a different thread altogether to assess your needs (we'll stick to bass related ones for now)... so to sort this out!

Will your combo give you more than the 165w with an extension cab? I'm thinking the 300 designation in its title means that it will in which case beg/steal/borrow an 8 ohm cab (any bass cab, don't worry about make, wattage or speaker config for now :huh: ) and stick that in. I've a feeling it isn't the amp distorting but the speaker complaining. That'll get you through your gig then the GAS can begin and we'll all help you spend money that you ain't got :)

Is it still ok at lower volumes? If so I'd imagine that it's ok just distorted from being turned up too high (the low notes will usually be the first to distort), you can try and EQ out the distortion by taking out the lows, and maybe low mids, o just turn the volume down. Youi should try to avoid running it distorting all the time as that's where it could get damaged.

To compensate for the volume there's loads of stuff here about amp placement that makes a big difference.

Has it [b]become[/b] flappy at high volume, or was it always like that?
Combo's like your Laney, and the Peavey 1x15 I used to have, aren't really designed to run flat out. As they are 100% solid state the powerstage will start to clip early and do nasty things to the speaker, increasing the bad sounds you talk about.
If you find you are using the amp turned all the way up then yes, it is time for a new amp, not because its sh*gged but because you need more volume. Retire your Laney back to bedroom/practice use where it can serve out its days in peace :)

[quote name='coasterbass' post='272276' date='Aug 29 2008, 09:30 AM'][b]Has it [b]become[/b] flappy at high volume, or was it always like that?[/b]
Combo's like your Laney, and the Peavey 1x15 I used to have, aren't really designed to run flat out. As they are 100% solid state the powerstage will start to clip early and do nasty things to the speaker, increasing the bad sounds you talk about.
If you find you are using the amp turned all the way up then yes, it is time for a new amp, not because its sh*gged but because you need more volume. Retire your Laney back to bedroom/practice use where it can serve out its days in peace :)[/quote]
That's a good question. As I've only recently started using it at high volumes it's hard to say but I've only noticed it badly the last time I used it (Weds). Have used it a hand full of times at high volumes before that though.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='272286' date='Aug 29 2008, 09:41 AM']Best bet if you can't use a cab is get it DI'd at the gig and use it for monitoring yourself.[/quote]
Well from what I saw by scoping up the venue last week was that all the amps are mic'd. So I should be fine for this gig... it's just future gigs I'm worried about!

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='272377' date='Aug 29 2008, 11:20 AM']Can I make a really stoopid suggestion? Does the RBW300 have a built in compressor? (Try PULLING the gain control).

Same thing occurred on my Linebacker combo and the compressor sorted it.

:)[/quote]
it's got a seperate compressor switch, which was already on. lol

I can lend you a peavey 1 x 15" combo if you want? I'm 30mins at the most from Stafford. When is the gig though? I am away tonight and tomorrow day.

I reckon it's the speaker distorting. Buy/beg/borrow a cheap 2nd cab to add to your combo (if it can handle it) or borrow an amp at the gig IMHO. I would DI rather than mic up an amp that's "shagged".

[quote name='cheddatom' post='272394' date='Aug 29 2008, 11:34 AM']I can lend you a peavey 1 x 15" combo if you want? I'm 30mins at the most from Stafford. When is the gig though? I am away tonight and tomorrow day.

I reckon it's the speaker distorting. Buy/beg/borrow a cheap 2nd cab to add to your combo (if it can handle it) or borrow an amp at the gig IMHO. I would DI rather than mic up an amp that's "shagged".[/quote]
Tomorrow night. lol If I knew who the bands were I'd ask but seeing as the promoter won't reply to my messages.. lol

Edited by Sarah5string