Why become a member? ×

50 Greatest Bass Players - Can We Do A Better Job - Change of Plan

Mykesbass

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1435610776' post='2810658']

If your'e willing & able to take the time to set it up, I'm more than willing to vote. I suspect many other people will be too.
[/quote]
I'm willing to do it if I think there's enough interest.

Another forum I'm on has done this for lots of different topics - footballers, films, etc.

One person does all the legwork. They define a set number of nominees (e.g 20 per person). Everyone then sends the organiser their list of 20 nominees via PM, in strict order (unordered lists are thrown out). There needs to be a strict deadline.

If you nominate someone as your number 1 bass player they score 20 points, number 2 scores 19 points, and so on.

Once all votes are received the organiser sums up the weighted votes and produces the list. Ties are broken by some predetermined mechanism, e.g most number one nominations or how many people nominated them.

On the other forum they release it in reverse order, normally with a brief writeup of each entry (for bass players this would be a brief bio and maybe a seminal recording). They release one or two list entrants at a time to allow for discussion and have a bit of build up.

It works best if people try not to have to much discussion before submitting their list, otherwise people start to influence each others choices.

You can see an example thread here :

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/221950-top-21-films-of-the-21st-century/?fromsearch=1

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1435619820' post='2810800']
Another forum I'm on has done this for lots of different topics - footballers, films, etc.

One person does all the legwork. They define a set number of nominees (e.g 20 per person). Everyone then sends the organiser their list of 20 nominees via PM, in strict order (unordered lists are thrown out). There needs to be a strict deadline.

If you nominate someone as your number 1 bass player they score 20 points, number 2 scores 19 points, and so on.

Once all votes are received the organiser sums up the weighted votes and produces the list. Ties are broken by some predetermined mechanism, e.g most number one nominations or how many people nominated them.

[/quote]

I like that, think we'll go for a top 100 via that method and then put that to an open poll for top ten. Thanks "Unc"!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1435608842' post='2810622']

Part of my thinking was to do a slightly more sophisticated poll, perhaps a couple of rounds to whittle them down, and the fact it would be voted for by bass players should have given it a bit more authority than the one that cropped up this week. Still, it seems I misjudged other people's interest in such a poll.
[/quote]

But why should bassists have any more authority than anyone else in judging who's a good bassist? Mind you, I do agree that pretty much everyone on Basschat will consider themselves uniquely qualified to judge who the best bassists are, and in my case it's obviously true.

The way I see it, any list of bassists can be broken down into a few categories. Off the top of my head:[list]
[*]Innovators -- the mould-breakers, taking the instrument in new directions
[*]Influencers -- the "he's the reason I picked up a bass" types
[*]Foundations -- the 'no-nonsense holding down the bottom end with aplomb' types.
[/list]
Obviously some players will cross boundaries. John Deacon for example is very much a Foundation, but for an awful lot of people he's an Influencer too. Jaco I think we can agree was something of an Innovator, and definitely an Influencer. It could probably be argued that Chris Squire was all three (still seems odd to be talking about him in the past tense). And so on, you get the picture. Might it be worth breaking nominations down into these (or similar) categories?

OK, see much edited original post, this has now changed significantly, and I'm compiling a 200 essential bass players over on my blog - [url="http://modlock.co.uk/200-essential-bass-players-part-1/"]http://modlock.co.uk/200-essential-bass-players-part-1/[/url]
Please do have a re-read of the first post and feel free to contribute.

Cheers,
Mike