Why become a member? ×

EHX Enigma vs 3 Leaf Proton

adamg67

I'm hunting around for an envelope filter at the moment, I'm expecting to maybe have to try a few, I've picked up an EHX Enigma second hand so I'm trying that now, and I noticed a 3 leaf proton (older model with a switch instead of a delay knob) for sale on here. From what I can see / hear from demos, it looks like it will pretty much do a smaller subset of what the Enigma will do, and sound pretty similar, but I can't see any back to back comparisons so far. Has anyone tried both, and is it worth me trying a proton if I've already got the Enigma to play with? I can sell on whichever I don't like but you always lose a few quid (and some precious time).

I've not tried the EHX Enigma, but it's meant to be able to nail the Mu-Tron sound (which is what the Proton is based on), and do a lot more (a lot more controls and can get very synthy with the distortion engaged). From what I've read of the Enigma it has a bit more of a learning curve, whereas the Proton (which I have owned) is relatively easy to dial in. The Proton won't get as extreme as the Enigma, but is a good approximation of a Mu-Tron, although IMO is not as fat as the Tru Tron) so guess it really depends what sounds you are looking for.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1434995004' post='2804536']
I had a 3leaf filter a while ago (groove regulator) and it was better than ANY EHX filter I've ever used (pretty much every variety of Q-tron, Bass balls etc…).
[/quote] Envelope Filters are so subjective :0) I prefer the original big box EHX Q Tron or Mini Q Tron over the 3Leaf Proton, (but that's just my opinion). The Bassballs is a very different vocal sounding filter so not really comparable.

[quote name='Bo0tsy' timestamp='1435004641' post='2804680']
Envelope Filters are so subjective :0)
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm already resigned to buying a few second hand as I find them and then keeping whatever I like best. I've just been listening to a demo of the 3Leaf Wonderlove and that sounds really nice.

So far, the EHX Enigma is sounding a bit too synthy to me. I think maybe I'm really after more of an auto-wah effect than a Mu-Tron sound. That's why I wonder if the Proton is just trying to do the same thing (Mu-Tron) as the Enigma, so I might be better looking out for other things to compare to the Enigma.

Edited by adamg67

I just watched the video of the Soundblox Pro BEF, and I wish I hadn't... why do I want one?? I would use about 1% of what it can do! I think it's the idea that in there somewhere is the perfect sound... :)

Just picked up the old model Soundblox BEF (ie not the pro) on ebay as well, so we'll see how that stacks up against the EHX. From the demo vids, it sounds a bit more subtle and musical which is what I'm after. I still might have to try a 3Leaf, I'm thinking maybe look out for a second hand Wonderlove but I don't think they've been out long?

Expect to see a crop of filters on ebay as I select between them :)

I did the same thing recently! Ended up keeping the MXR Bass Envelope Filter, Mini (older not-so-mini big box, not the newer Micro) Q-Tron and TruTron 3X.

I did not get on with the Enigma either. The Wonderlove was probably the most disappointing of the bunch I went through. I had an older Proton many years ago, I liked it but sold it, it was too long ago to properly compare against the ones I tried recently but I reckon I would choose that over the Enigma and Wonderlove any day. The Groove Regulator was the best 3Leaf filter I tried, I'd love to try a GR2 some day too.

Edited by dannybuoy

I prefer the GR2 I have now to the Wonderlove I had previously. Less fiddly and seems wetter. I really liked the big box qtron I had a few years ago but the 24v supply was an issue for me. Only 3leaf filter I haven't tried is the current proton. Maybe some day. Mostly liked the original version but the fixed decay wasn't for me - I actually modified mine for a longer decay (mine was the first of the first, Spencer later added an internal switch to select between 2 different values).

I've bought the Proton from here as well, so when everything arrives my first 3 way shoot out will be Enigma Q Balls vs original Soundblox BEF vs original Proton.

I'm getting somewhere with the Enigma now, the distorted sound could be a plus but it's the same old thing, will I really ever use it on one of our songs? We're fairly rocky but with some blues and funk leanings.

I'll let everyone know which of them is best for metal, obviously. ;)

I've had a weekend playing with the 3 pedals now, and I think I've got them all fairly well sussed. Here's my totally subjective view, bearing in mind that I'm after quiet a subtle effect which leaves most of my tone intact (as much as filter can):

[b]EHX Enigma Q Balls[/b]: These are a lot of fun, for me the "signature sound" is with the distortion on, and I suppose that's the point in combining the 2. I'm not even sure the blend is that useful, it just seems to sound more convincing with blend up, distortion on and plenty of filter. But that's not what I'm looking for, so the EHX is the first pedal back up for sale.

[b]Source Audio Soundblox BEF[/b]: This seems like a really good pedal to me, it does a pretty good job of taming all the options you end up with on an envelope filter. Nice range of preset sounds from the main dial, and then tweaking them is easy as well. The main thing missing is a blend, I probably want a little bit less effect. I could buy (or make if I had the time) a blend pedal, or maybe spring for the BEF pro which has blend, EQ and presets.

[b]3Leaf Proton[/b]: This is the best sounding of the 3 for what I'm looking for, it's pretty close to spot on now I've got it tweaked for my sound. Very nice, very musical, just what I was after. The only down side (which seems to be true of lots of BEFs) is that it's quite sensitive, so the settings when I'm playing with a pick don't work quite right for fingerstyle. So what I really need is 2 of these :)

That's just a start, I need to watch out for other things to try, but I'm starting to think a Soundblox BEF pro would be the best bet because I really do need at least 2 slightly different setups, maybe 3, so the 6 presets would be perfect. If I could try the basic BEF with blend I would know... Hmm, I could do that through my DAW if I had a splitter... I could grab a 2nd hand ABY box, they do come in handy.

I've been looking at the Moogerfooger and the Xerograph as well but both sound too synthy for me, so I probably won't even try those.