Why become a member? ×

Is it really in the fingers and not the bass?

jazzyvee

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1434976161' post='2804285']
Don't know who Keef is but this is the perfect explanation for me

[/quote]

Never heard Midnight Rambler either ? Feast on this, my favourite version....

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN2cWWUHa5g"]https://www.youtube....h?v=EN2cWWUHa5g[/url]

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1434813365' post='2803025'] It's all in the fingers. That's where the sound is created and if the sound coming from the way you strike the strings isn't right you cannot fix it with strings, pickups, tone woods, FX, special leads, amplifiers or speakers. You can dramatically change the sound coming from the gear just by changing one small aspect of how you strike the strings. [/quote]

A little while ago, I went to see Janek Gwizdala at the Academy of Sound in Stoke. He was playing his Fodera through TC gear, something like a RH450 and brace of 2x10s. The sound of the combination of bass, amp, speakers, and player made the words "glassy" and "brittle" come to mind - I think because there was a lot of detail in the upper frequencies. Then, at the Moffat Bass Bash earlier this year, there was a Fodera (I've forgotten the owner's name, despite, or perhaps because of, spending several hours chatting to him over drinks at the local pub). I had a play on that, listening through headphones via an amp whose identity I also don't recall, and the combination of player, bass, amp, and headphones produced a pretty much identical tone. So I can only conclude that I'm Janek Gwizdala's twin.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1434903810' post='2803721']
Eric Johnson claims to be able to hear the difference between a gold jack or not on a lead. I also read he claims to know by listening whether a pedal is powered by a Duracell battery or not, but I'll assume that was a joke.
[/quote]

Weirdly, the battery thing isn't a joke. It's specific to Fuzz Face type pedals, which really do sound a bit different with a zinc carbon battery than with an alkaline battery or a power supply. The Fuzz Face is such a crude and touchy circuit that the internal resistance of the battery affects the bias of the transistors - it's pretty subtle in practice but there is a difference.