Why become a member? ×

NBD End of a saga

Joebethell

So this a long story that has hopefully come to an end.

After a year or so of buying,swapping and struggling with a few basses of all shapes and sizes (to the point of my family,friends and bandmates decided i had a Bass buying problem) i have come to find the Bass for me.

Rather than bore you with all the details i will give you an overview of the last few months in which i made a number of decisions which has lead to this point.

Firstly high end Bass Guitars are well worth the money and i have had 3 in recent times that were great but if you are like me worried about gigging them they end up in case in the spare bedroom. So this has lead me to sell and swap a Dingwall SPJ a Mike Lull and a 1976 Fender Jazz bass.

The next two purchases happened within a short period of time really i spotted in the Basses for sale section of this very site an Everson Fretless which i ended up buying after a small regret of selling a Sei Flamboyant 5string Fretless an number of years ago. This was a great bass again with a real punchy tone but for the kind of music i am mostly playing with my band at this time a pretty useless purchase in the end so that bass to was moved on.

The sale of the Everson leads to the final part of the saga a TWO yes TWO bass within TWO weeks.

The first of the two basses was a 62 Fender japan VSP Jazz in candy apple red purchased online from Classic and Cool Guitars a stunning Bass (and Mark is a legend) BUT!!! and this is my own fault for breaking my own rule of not playing a bass before you buy I could not get on with the neck the thick lacquer and profile meant I couldn't get on with it.

I was quiet at work and with a gig coming up i dropped into a local retailer just for some strings o my lunch and my eyes were drawn to the back wall of Basses (normally only lower end basses) but this time one stood out.

I fell for a Fender Pbass Limited Edition Sandblasted. it was taken into a corner plugged into a pretty poor Ashdown combo but the basses tone shone through with a neck that felt right straight away. So decision made the Jazz was collected and part exchanged and the Pbass was mine.

Now i have not put the Bass down since it has been gigged and sounded great with loads of positive comments and that finish its tactile and frankly stunning[font=verdana, tahoma, arial, helvetica][size=3][color=#000000].[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, tahoma, arial, helvetica][size=1]So i have found the bass for me not to expensive to use has a great tone and Stunning finish.[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Joebethell

I wondered how you'd got on since I benefitted from your saga and bought the magnificent Everson fretless a couple of weeks ago. As I also had your two Markbass NY 4x8" cabs last year make sure you let me know if you ever suffer from indecision again! Seriously, I'm pleased you've found your 'the one'. Colin

Reminds me of when I got my Fender P.

I had gone through a heap of basses, Japanese P's, Jazz's, Musicman, Warwick and more. Kept finding bits I liked but none that felt right.

As soon as I got my USA Standard P out of the case if felt like home, and once I dropped a Duncan 1/4 pounder in there I had the sound I wanted to the dot.

Not my most expensive but exactly what I wanted. It is a lovely feeling.