Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR Bartolini vs Nordstrand question

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I've been looking at the Ibanez SR range and I'm pretty tempted with one. The choice is really between the SR600 and the SR750. However, I cannot find a local dealer that has both in stock and so I was hoping for a little help regarding the difference in tone between the pickup types.

I've checked out some videos on YouTube and from what I can see, the Nordstrand pickups in the SR750 sound a lot deeper and fatter than the Bartolini ones found in the SR600. As such, right now I am leadning toward the SR750.

However, I'm a little dubious to make a choice based on videos as I'm not too sure how fair the comparison is given the different rigs and recording equipment used. Has anyone here got experience with both types of pickups? Any advice you could offer as to their comparative tone would be greatly appreciated.

I found the Barts in my 505 to be not as refined or clear as the Nords in my 1605, they were 'ruder' if you will. However, that is not to say the Nords don't do rude, dig in a little harder and they 'bark' very nicely. If you do go down the 750 route, I found the Nords set too high on my 1605, so I contacted Nordstrand and they sent me this recommendation for heights:

5/64" bridge
6/64" neck (treble side)
7/64" neck (bass side)

This meant winding them nearly all the way down into the body, definitely opened up the sound a bit.

I own an Ibanez SR1205 which has Nordstrand big singles and until recently also owned an SR605 with Bartolini's - this being my back up bass.

From experience of extensively gigging and rehearsing with both I concur with your perception... the Nordstrand's are definitely a significant step up from the Barts and generally sound much richer all round.

The 750 has the new Nordy licenced pups; they are a split coil (P type) and a single coil. They are not the Big Singles found in the 1200 series and above, so they may not sound the same. Hard to know as the 750 is a new model and no one has them in stock as far as I know.

[quote name='Storky' timestamp='1433530224' post='2791966']
The 750 has the new Nordy licenced pups; they are a split coil (P type) and a single coil. They are not the Big Singles found in the 1200 series and above, so they may not sound the same. Hard to know as the 750 is a new model and no one has them in stock as far as I know.
[/quote]

I tried one (SR755) at PMT in Southend earlier this week. However, they didn't have a SR600 in stock so I could not make a comparison. I've not tried the higher end Ibanez basses with the full blow Nordstrand pickups in so I cannot say how they are next to that but the 755 sounded pretty nice going into a Fender Rumble 500.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a good dedicated bass guitar store in the London area? The places around here are all far more focused on guitars of the six-string variety so its kind of hard to try before you buy.

Agreed, I have an SR1205 and those Big singles just have so much depth to them, so much tonal variation too. I am currently enjoy a 75/25 mix of the neck and bridge piuckup. It offers some nice vintage grunt but without the overhwelming bass. Noords all the way any day.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1433546141' post='2792119']

I don't suppose anyone knows of a good dedicated bass guitar store in the London area? The places around here are all far more focused on guitars of the six-string variety so its kind of hard to try before you buy.
[/quote]

The Bass Gallery in Camden is dedicated to Bass, Wunjos isn't I don't think but has a good reputation for bass as does Guitar Guitar in Epsom.

Slightly further afield, Bass Gear in Reading is deicated to bass, as is Bass Direct in Leamington-Spa. Andertons in Guildford and GAK in Brighton, though again both cater to guitarists as well, have good bass departments

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1433575999' post='2792178']
The Bass Gallery in Camden is dedicated to Bass, Wunjos isn't I don't think but has a good reputation for bass as does Guitar Guitar in Epsom.

Slightly further afield, Bass Gear in Reading is deicated to bass, as is Bass Direct in Leamington-Spa. Andertons in Guildford and GAK in Brighton, though again both cater to guitarists as well, have good bass departments
[/quote]

I actually got my SR1205 from the bass gallery, really nice and helpful people. Even took the time to set the bass up just how I like it.

Check that they have what you want in stock first however. When I looked earlier the 750 was available to order as indeed they are at GG.

Edit: The Gallery is always worth a visit, irrespective of whether they have what you're after. Great shop, as is GG in Epsom.

Edited by ezbass

I have an SR500 that I replaced the stock average bartolini mk1 pups and pre amp with USA Bartolini pups and ntmb pre amp. Totally transformed the sound and plays as well as the top range SRs. I also have an SR1200 with us Nordstrand big singles which has a much brighter in your face tone than the us bartolinis. I prefer the Nordstrands for rock and the barts for RnB.

If the SR600 has bartolini MK1s, definitely try it through your own rig first, I picked up an SR506 to try 6 string after playing it through a different amp, and now I've played with it more the tone is bit dissapointing. I can't decide whether to upgrade the pickups for "real" Bartolini ones or just sell it on and get an Ibby 6 string with better pickups in already.

I have a BTB600 with the Bartolini licenced pups.. nice pickups as they go, but while performing various experiments on this bass I had a set of EMG J in there (the only thing I had which would fit in that size pocket) and that was brilliant! May even go down the road of USA Barts or I think Aguilar do some that would fit.
If you get the SR600, a pickup upgrade would be both easy and productive.

I'm of a different opinion to most here. I think Bart pickups are brilliant and they've been the only pickups I've ever been happy with. Fat as hell when you need them to be and finely nuanced at other times. I've owned an ibanez at 4005 and 5000 in the past, both sounded amazing wth Bart pickups.

Not tried nordstrand ones though!!!