Why become a member? ×

So, school me on bass cabs.

Fisheth

Hey guys, I'm looking at an upgrade to my cab and I'm currently using a Harley Benton 410. Which in itself is a fantastic cab for the price point and very frequency neutral. I'm wanting to buy a new cabinet to match my Orange Bass Terror 500 and eventually own an OB1-500 or an AD200 aswell. So I'm thinking, Orange do a 410. That's reasonably priced and Orange, so it looks like a good fit.

I'm just wanting to know the basics and expand my knowledge on cabs, how similar is it to guitar cabs aside from plugging in the cab to the amp and matching the ohmage? Is there a lot more to it, in terms of the construction influencing the sound at all?

Pretty new to all this! Thanks!

Edited by Fisheth

Guest bassman7755

Well you say that your current cab is "fantastic" so why are you looking to change it ? without knowing that its a bit hard to offer advice on possible upgrades.

To answer your other general question: bass cab design is a lot more scientific than guitar cab design, bass cabs have more in common with hifi and PA speakers than they do with guitar cabs. The sound of guitar cabs tend to be dominated by drivers which are often designed to distort and heavily colour the sound at typical usage volume levels, whereas bass cabs are typically design to be more transparent and its as much about the enclosure design as the driver.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1433183519' post='2788689']
Well you say that your current cab is "fantastic" so why are you looking to change it ? without knowing that its a bit hard to offer advice on possible upgrades.

To answer your other general question: bass cab design is a lot more scientific than guitar cab design, bass cabs have more in common with hifi and PA speakers than they do with guitar cabs. The sound of guitar cabs tend to be dominated by drivers which are often designed to distort and heavily colour the sound at typical usage volume levels, whereas bass cabs are typically design to be more transparent and its as much about the enclosure design as the driver.
[/quote]

I mean it's fantastic for the price range, going to edit it in now. Wording not great sorry.

It's just I'm finding it a bit too... Well, wooly in the lower ranges and it sounds a tad muffled to me and was wanting a touch more mids too, I've got an EQ pedal but it doesn't seem to help it much.

I haul my own gear, but it's not a problem as I've got a trolly to lift stuff.

Given your desire for full-bandwidth clarity (and depending on your budget), I'd consider something from Aguilar, Bergantino or Barefaced. Though you may also like to consider trying a different amp, too... *opens can of worms*

Edited by discreet

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1433186555' post='2788735']
You did say 'school me', so: it's not 'ohmage', it's 'impedance'.
[/quote]

I thought the terminology was one and the same? So I could use both depending on context.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433186917' post='2788743']
Given your desire for full-bandwidth clarity (and depending on your budget), I'd consider something from Aguilar, Bergantino or Barefaced. Though you may also like to consider trying a different amp, too... *opens can of worms*
[/quote]

Will have a look at those, Barefaced I was looking at. Specifically the Retro 2X10 but I fear a 2X10 won't have enough oomph for what my band play however.

Edited by Fisheth

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1433185044' post='2788712']
I mean it's fantastic for the price range, going to edit it in now. Wording not great sorry.

It's just I'm finding it a bit too... Well, wooly in the lower ranges and it sounds a tad muffled to me and was wanting a touch more mids too, I've got an EQ pedal but it doesn't seem to help it much.

I haul my own gear, but it's not a problem as I've got a trolly to lift stuff.
[/quote]

OK so next question is - whats your budget ?.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1433189978' post='2788800']
OK so next question is - whats your budget ?.
[/quote]

Up to about 700, ideally less.

The Super Midget looks cool too, very portable. You get a good returns policy, so may take a chance on it. Gonna email Barefaced first though.

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1433189709' post='2788793']
Will have a look at those, Barefaced I was looking at. Specifically the Retro 2X10 but I fear a 2X10 won't have enough oomph for what my band play however.
[/quote]

I'm in a pretty loud band - rock, metal & punk and I'm using a SuperTwin with a 500W head and it's a great cab. If I had boot space I'd have gone for the BigTwin.

Just seen your post about budget and the St is ~£800, BT ~£1k.

Edited by Iain

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1433194553' post='2788889']
I'm in a pretty loud band - rock, metal & punk and I'm using a SuperTwin with a 500W head and it's a great cab. If I had boot space I'd have gone for the BigTwin.

Just seen your post about budget and the St is ~£800, BT ~£1k.
[/quote]

Yeah, was looking at that, but I was really wanting Portability to be a factor, especially as I'm doing a lot more bass playing and would have to endeavour the joys of public transport

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1433186555' post='2788735']
You did say 'school me', so: it's not 'ohmage', it's 'impedance'.
[/quote]
[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1433189709' post='2788793']
I thought the terminology was one and the same? So I could use both depending on context.
[/quote]

'Ohmage' isn't really a word, but musicians have invented it because it seems to make sense next to 'voltage' and 'wattage' (which should strictly be 'potential difference' and 'power' respectively). Also there is no 'amperage', that should be 'current'.

Impedance is measured in ohms (symbol Ω, but often replaced by the letter R in circuit diagrams), as is resistance.

He's paying homage to the ohmage. :yarr:

As for cabs, I think you'll find a really good 2x10 could shift some serious air. If you're worried, get a good 2x12.
The MarkBass 2x10 I had, far exceeded the Trace Elliott 4x10 I had prior.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1433190205' post='2788807']
Might be, but the cost is expensive!
[/quote]
[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1433195199' post='2788896']
I'm doing a lot more bass playing and would have to endeavour the joys of public transport
[/quote]

There's the rub. Cabs that handle lots of power, sound good AND are portable tend to be expensive.
You might get lucky if you keep your eye out for a used cab in the BC marketplace.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1433196973' post='2788910']
As for cabs, I think you'll find a really good 2x10 could shift some serious air.
[/quote]

This... I actually think the Retro Two10 might well do you. Why not drop Alex at Barefaced an email?
He'll tell you honestly if it will do the job. Or not.
And he has a 1 month trial period, if it really doesn't work out you can send it back.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1433190505' post='2788812']
Up to about 700, ideally less.

The Super Midget looks cool too, very portable.
[/quote]

Your money will go a lot further if you use the ads on this site :) Some very good cabs around at decent prices - although not all offer shipping (there is a very nice TKS 1156 that falls into that category).

BTW, if you don't think a Barefaced Retro 210 will be loud enough (which I would question) then it is unlikely that a Super Midget would suit you (other than its portability).

I see that you are Newcastle-based? There are several of us in the area who would probably be more than happy to let you try some of our cabs... :)

Edited by Conan

Conan beat me to it, I've got a couple of the 2nd generation barefaced midgets that you'd be welcome to try, I've heard them with a bass terror and it sounded great (plenty of volume to keep up with a loud drummer, I've witnessed a single midget keeping up with 2 marshall 4x12 half stacks!)

the TKS cabs are pretty darned good too, there are a few of them in the north east.

keep an eye out for he north east bass bash, I'm not sure when the next one will be but its a great chance to try out some fantastic kit.

Matt

Got an email back from Alex, he's saying he things the Super Compact would be good for me, is the midget similar?

Thanks guys! May have to take you up on those offers!

Been wanting to get to a NE Bass Bash, will probably get down when the next one happens!

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1433263659' post='2789558']
Got an email back from Alex, he's saying he thinks the Super Compact would be good for me...
[/quote]

I trust Alex's judgement completely in this - if he says a SC will be good for you, then it will. :)