Why become a member? ×

First ever gig TONIGHT...

Sarah5string

Had our last practice last night and I feel better for it, it has to be said. Although not perfect it sounded good both times we ran through the set so feeling more positive..
Still bricking it though.... :) Also annoyed as the promoter for the venue never returns my texts and I text him earlier in the week to confirm time for soundcheck and have had nothing back... doesn't help with the nerves!!

If it's any consolation, it always seems to be a balls up where organisers are concerned (they've got so much on their plate while you yourself are only concerned about 1 or 2 details and their priorities lie elsewhere) so expect that all plans made (although adhered to by you) will be "flexible" in the mind of others. "Be there for 6 o'clock soundcheck" usually translates as the sound guy might get round to setting up about by 7 then your band might get to check at 8.... but if punters have started coming in by then then you might just get to line check (10 second sound check each) But as I said before don't despair or get wound up by this just use the time to settle in. Don't worry! You'll get up there and it'll be over in a blink of an eye and you'll be gagging for more.

Speaking of soundchecks have a cool riff that you're confident with prepared in advance for when you do your wee solo bit. It's a good ice breaker for nerves too. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='271574' date='Aug 28 2008, 10:03 AM']Speaking of soundchecks have a cool riff that you're confident with prepared in advance for when you do your wee solo bit. It's a good ice breaker for nerves too. :)[/quote]

+1

I use the intro to 'Journey To The End Of East Bay' by Rancid it's awesome.

so how did it go?

*wait sorry just seen its thursday* well i've been asleep okay!

:)

you'll be fine sarah, i was feeling exactly the same as you when my band first performed and i had to sing as well, unfortunately it was infront of a room full of people i know, apparently thats a bad thing but it didn't bother me...

just play your f***ing heart out love and everything will be fine...

Oh yeah, just had a thought, has anyone heard a vocalist actually sing nearly in key during their first live performance? I don't think i've ever seen it happen, maybe it's impossible, and something that only comes from experience. Maybe i'm just playing in and watching the wrong bands :)

That would take the attention off you, but then again, i'm guessing you're the only girl in your band, and will get people staring at you anyway. My girlfriend gets that a lot.

Oh man, it's a pet hate of mine when people use soundcheck to just w*nk about, and then probably complain in the set when they don't have a good sound! Play something that you play in the actual set!!

That goes for playing between songs, it sounds amateur! The amount of people who use the gaps to play some 'impressive riff' by Claypool or Wooten is sickening!

Hope it goes well Sarah!

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='271652' date='Aug 28 2008, 11:36 AM']That would take the attention off you, but then again, i'm guessing you're the only girl in your band, and will get people staring at you anyway. My girlfriend gets that a lot.[/quote]
Yup.... shame I haven't got cleavage to distract people from my playing!

Edited by Sarah5string

[quote name='Sibob' post='271656' date='Aug 28 2008, 11:47 AM']Oh man, it's a pet hate of mine when people use soundcheck to just w*nk about, and then probably complain in the set when they don't have a good sound! Play something that you play in the actual set!!

That goes for playing between songs, it sounds amateur! The amount of people who use the gaps to play some 'impressive riff' by Claypool or Wooten is sickening![/quote]
I wasn't suggesting for one moment that Sarah attempt a bit of limelight stealing w***ery, just offering some encouragement but way to go bust that bubble like. :) And as it happens I personally don't have any issue with anyone doing a bit of showboating during soundcheck, actually I quite like hearing what guys can do (even shredder guitarist). If you're good enough to do that then you should also be good enough to play at the same volumes and using the same effects that you are supposed to be soundchecking in the first place. To believe that one riff plucked from your entire set is going to represent your across the board sound is naive.

Line check (your solo bit) with whatever makes you happy (bare in mind your levels and tell the sound guy about any effects you use), then to get the most out of your soundcheck the whole band plays a song that has as many troughs and peaks and variations as possible to let the sound guy tweak the combined sound to his requirements.

Widdeling between songs is as you say a right no no. There's a guitarist in one of my bands (actually the singer from another band of mine) who has never discovered what his volume knob is for and always plays a riff from the next tune we're about to do... talk about letting the cat out of the bag. :huh:

All I can do is repeat what other people have said, don't get lost, turn up on time, get to know the place, but most of all, enjoy yourself :) That's what gigging is all about for me, not the money, or the fame (not that we get too much of that anyway :huh: )
Good luck with it, and if you do mess up, laugh it off. I usually just look at the rhythm guitarist and grin.
Zach

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='272252' date='Aug 29 2008, 09:05 AM']I think what's more worrying is that I know full well it'll hit my like a tonnes of bricks at some point... probably riiiiiiiiiiight before going onstage... lol![/quote]
just use that adrenalin for on stage. i find i still get nervous at gigs (thats about 2 years now) but it soon goes.
mistakes like everyone has said generally go unnoticed. but if you do royally f*** up (which i did at our last gig in my favourite song which i NEVER get wrong) make a really big thing of it, laugh and the audience will generally laugh with you. no big deal.

the calm before the storm :)

Like all the guys say, enjoy and have fun. 33 years after my first gig where we outnumbered the crowd, I still crap myself before going onstage - 33 years on, the gig before last we still outnumbered the crowd! Maybe there's a trend developing here! It's still the best fun you can have with your clothes on! Just think how good you'll feel afterwards as you come down.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='272409' date='Aug 29 2008, 11:48 AM']Well we've been working towards this for so long.. and you know what the say.. the first one's always the worst..[/quote]
wouldn't say that, in fact our first one was one our best. i've found when you feel like you have become really comfortable with your set you can become blasé about it and thats where mistakes creep in.
you'll love it

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='272252' date='Aug 29 2008, 09:05 AM']I think what's more worrying is that I know full well it'll hit my like a tonnes of bricks at some point... probably riiiiiiiiiiight before going onstage... lol![/quote]

You're in danger of 'making' that happen. Calm down.

By stepping on to that stage you take the first steps into a place you want to feel is home. It's new. It's odd. You can't quite fit with it etc. But it's home.

Things will go wrong tomorrow - OK? That's the deal. It's the same for me and I've been doing it for nigh on 30 years. Only difference is I'm used to it and have learned how to cope.
Allow yourself to learn too. Expect the unexpected - but don't try and work out what that will be.

Tomorrow - be an actor. Be confident beyond what you feel. Be the best bass player that ever lived even when you're not. Know all there is to know even though you don't.
Soon it'll be 2 gigs - then 5 - then 20. Sooner than you think. You'll find you have to act less and less as it becomes a real part of your life.