Why become a member? ×

Get My Semi On?

Joebethell

I have been struggling with a case of GAS ever since i got rid of a semi bass a couple of years ago! I made the mistake of selling a Guild Starfire bass due to a slight issue when playing live with the bass where the strings would pop off the wooden bridge (even after cutting deeper groves in the saddles).

Now my problem is i loved the tone of that bass so much and I have been hunting for another to fill the void even narrowed it down to a couple of options a Fender Coronado 11 (not the reissue the single coil go bass) or another guild but a very expense limited edition with a metal saddles not the wooden of the OG or reissue.

Im still open to other choices but i don't really know what to do.

HELP PLEASE!!!

The Coronado with the single pickup was the Coronado I - the Coronado II always had two pickups. The reissues are semi hollow, the originals are hollow body (feedback joy).

What's your budget and minimum spec?

steve

You're talking £1,500 or so for an original Coronado II, not sure that they're worth that. The reissues are fun though as are the Starcasters. You've also got Gibson Midtown or the Les Paul? Ibanez Artcore? Italia or Hagstrom... lots around. I guess if you have a particular sound in your head then you have to go out and try some!

Thanks.

The basses I have been looking at are around 1500 so you are right on that count I don't have much experience with some of the other brands you mentioned and I thought the new gibsons were also 34" scale. I do have an old Hofner verithin but that's not really a giging bass either. I'm guessing I may just have to hurt my wallet a bit more than I had hoped. 😮

Edited by Joebethell

Gibson Midtowns are 34" scale. Not strictly speaking semi-hollow either in the traditional sense of the word, they are chambered out of a solid piece of wood with a maple cap glued on the top rather than separate top, back and sides with or without central block.

Yeah I'm thinking a may go with the Guild i have found as its almost the same bass i got rid of just need to scrape together the funds (may have to put another bass in the listings on here again) Last in First out as they say.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a 90's Guild Starfire at The Bass Gallery at the moment. I went up there to try it out and it's in great condition, up for c. £1,500. Wonderful tone palm-muted tone and probably would be great with a pick as well. Worth a try if you're in this kind of ballpark.

I was originally looking for a 30" semi yes to replace a guild I had a while ago even sold a few basses to get some funds together I then played this Pbass and it was better than anything I expected or have played for a while. Just clicked with it