Why become a member? ×

NBD - USA Fender Geddy Lee.

Iain

Sounds like a full-on win Wylie!

Gigged it for the first time last night and really enjoyed playing it. Got a few compliments on how it looked - more so than the Dingwall ever gets - maybe the fan frets freak people out.

Tempting! But hefty old price tag, is it really worth it?

EDIT ah, Thomann is better, but with Fender QC is buying blind wise?

Can't believe I am seriously considering one of these! But the demos are great and the neck sounds fantastic!

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1432938211' post='2786512']
Tempting! But hefty old price tag, is it really worth it?

EDIT ah, Thomann is better, but with Fender QC is buying blind wise?

Can't believe I am seriously considering one of these! But the demos are great and the neck sounds fantastic!
[/quote]

Can only speak for mine and the quality is spot on - there's nothing about it that I'd change - well, maybe a drop tuner on the E, will look into that!

I'm not sure I'd pay this much blind though the thomann price is very keen!

Okay, so I went down to PMT in Birmingham today and managed to play one alongside an American Standard, with a maple fretboard also.

I love it!

It was quite interesting comparing the two. The Geddy has a slightly thinner neck and just generally seemed to feel better than the Standard in every way. They were set up the same and seemed to be the same strings so it was a pretty fair comparison. The Geddy pickups had a good bit of growl in them and sounded somewhat more aggressive than the standard, and it did seem to sustain better to. I really found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would! Stunning appearance too, the neck was just lovely with the binding and inlays. When I shift the Wal and Roscoe I could find myself taking a chance on Thomann, we will see!

On a different note, I also had a play of a Musicman Sabre as I have been eyeing them up since released. Very unimpressed, neck felt chunky and sticky and I really struggled to get a nice tone out of it, in any of the pickup settings.

A few years ago, if you would have told me I would be championing a Fender Jazz over a Musicman, I would have politely told you to go forth and multiply. Funny how tastes change!

I have a mex geddy lee, and pretty happy with it. I hope the american has a bit more of a stable neck!
Having said that, now I have replaced the neck, put a new nut on it, put a hipshot on it and put S1 switching on it, it is one of my favourites!

I love my MIJ Geddy Lee, apparently the neck on these US versions are quite a lot chunkier than the Jap/Mex signature models - anyone got any thoughts or feedback on this? I reckon I shall be looking to order one when my Sandberg sells.

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1433363072' post='2790519']
I love my MIJ Geddy Lee, apparently the neck on these US versions are quite a lot chunkier than the Jap/Mex signature models - anyone got any thoughts or feedback on this? I reckon I shall be looking to order one when my Sandberg sells.
[/quote]

From what I've read and heard the neck on the US is thicker than the MIJ and thinner than the standard US. I like 'flat C' thin necks so was all prepared to dislike this on that basis but I've no complaint - it's really playable and very solid feeling. Differences swapping from my Dingwall to the Geddy are very noticeable but that's as much in the radius as the thickness as the Z3 feels much flatter.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1432995478' post='2786894']
Can only speak for mine and the quality is spot on - there's nothing about it that I'd change - well, maybe a drop tuner on the E, will look into that!

I'm not sure I'd pay this much blind though the thomann price is very keen!
[/quote]

I've just received mine. I took the gamble and went the Thomann route. I had to do really because I'm based in the Canary Islands. Have to say, great service from Thomann. The bass arrived no issues, plus I saved a few hundred quid in the process! The Geddy USA is awesome. The more I play it, the more I love it and the quality is, as you say, 'spot on' :)

Edited by woodywyatt

[quote name='woodywyatt' timestamp='1434700156' post='2801886']
I've just received mine. I took the gamble and went the Thomann route. I had to do really because I'm based in the Canary Islands. Have to say, great service from Thomann. The bass arrived no issues, plus I saved a few hundred quid in the process! The Geddy USA is awesome. The more I play it, the more I love it and the quality is, as you say, 'spot on' :)
[/quote]

Awesome :) Gigged mine for the second time last night and it looked and played the part.