Why become a member? ×

Becoming a Headliner, Thoughts and Comments

blue

The playing last thing is definitely overated.

It was OK in the days before the change in licencing laws where everywhere closed at 11PM. The instant the law changed, as an originals band you'd find yourself going on stage at 1AM on a Tuesday long after everyone had gone home...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1431626305' post='2773407']
There is a lot of truth in the 'headline' band being THE band that most want to see.
Otherwise, you'll just try and pick the best slot with the most people there and sometimes
that definitely isn't last on the bill...
[/quote]

We were asked to be headliners at some festival last year, i.e. go on last. The band leader asked for an earlier slot so he could get his kid home at a reasonable hour :)

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1431585677' post='2772740']
I've toured musical theatre in theatres of up to two and a half thousands.

With regards to tours buses, at first it is really cool. You feel a bit rock star. It soon wears off especially sleeping on thin mattresses in stacked coffins.
It is fun and exciting playing the venues. If you are a geek like me each venue and it's history is interesting. I've played stages that [b]deep purple played and laurel and hardy. [/b]Pretty cool.

I have wife and kids. It doesn't take long to miss them.

I'd have paid good money to Deep Purple with Laurel and Hardy!

I enjoy going to different parts of the country and checking them out.

The money is quite good but you do spend a lot of it whilst touring.

So it has it's ups and downs.
[/quote]

I'd have paid good money to see Deep Purple with Laurel and Hardy!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1431699609' post='2774113']
If I could be in an orginals band and tour I would drop my job in an instant.
[/quote]

I don't know of any cover bands that can tour the country and sell 500-2,000 seats anywhere. :D

Blue

I'll say this and this will apply to the younger guys more than the over 50 crowd.

If your looking to be a true headliner you have to want to then you have to be prepared to take a risk.

You don't take the risk then be prepared to tell people you have been playing bars and parties for the rest of your life. And you will have a million excuses just like me, why you didn't take the risk.

And I'll catch hell for this , but nobody will ever convince me they love their office job. And understand we have a bunch of folks over here that hate their jobs but it's the only way they can get health insurance.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1431742407' post='2774578']
I'll say this and this will apply to the younger guys more than the over 50 crowd.

If your looking to be a true headliner you have to want to then you have to be prepared to take a risk.

You don't take the risk then be prepared to tell people you have been playing bars and parties for the rest of your life. And you will have a million excuses just like me, why you didn't take the risk.

And I'll catch hell for this , but nobody will ever convince me they love their office job. And understand we have a bunch of folks over here that hate their jobs but it's the only way they can get health insurance.

Blue
[/quote]

Well, depends what the gig pays and what the committment is. I'm not up for schlepping around Europe or whereever
crashing in dives and playing tiny stages. Everynow and then I might get invited to a 'nice' gig but I'll need the money
and the whole deal to be ok.
IF I was to do it full time, I'd want considerably more p.a than my current jobs pays, and I'd want it to be pretty steady
for a good few years.
Earning good money at music isn't so hard, it is doing it day-in, day-out, week-in, week-out, that is the trick.
I'll wager than many of my friends struggle to earn £25k a year doing what they love..?? and I mean struggle..!!
Me, I have bills and a life style to pay for... so no, I would have to have a LOT of questioned answered..

What price/salary I would have to be in with a very good chance of earning, every year..I'd have to think,
and I also don't think it is going to happen either.

It seems that most of the the things you (and your band) need to do in order for it to be more than a weekend hobby are far to much effort for the majority of musicians. That's not a criticism but an observation that not everyone has the drive or the desire to do more than have a but of fun playing music.

Also I don't that drive and commitment are limited to young people any more. There is a growing number of people in their late 40s onwards who suddenly find themselves with the time and more importantly money to be able to do these things but without necessarily having the hardships that younger bands have to endure. My band is currently making plans for a European tour later in the year.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1431726769' post='2774500']
I don't know of any cover bands that can tour the country and sell 500-2,000 seats anywhere. :D

Blue
[/quote]

The Australian Pink Floyd have played Wembley Arena, 12,500 seats and play arenas around the world, including the USA.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1431742407' post='2774578']...
And I'll catch hell for this , but nobody will ever convince me they love their office job...
[/quote]

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but I can assure you that a job is a job, office or bar/club. Many folks like (love..?) their lifestyle, be it professional gardener, IT manager, self-employed carpenter, club musician or part of an admin team. The French have an expression... 'Chacun voit Midi à sa porte', meaning that we all think we have the ideal situation, or, roughly, 'To each his own'. I'm glad you're happy enough in your current set-up, and more power to you, but I can assure you that there are many ways to skin a cat, and there are thousands, nay, millions, who are perfectly happy and suited to 'office work'. I agree, of course, that there are also very many that are only in their jobs because they have to live, and that lousy jobs are rife, maybe even the majority. Office work is not the drudge chore to all as it may be to yourself.
There..! That wasn't 'hell', was it..? ;)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1431767856' post='2774721']
Well, depends what the gig pays and what the committment is. I'm not up for schlepping around Europe or whereever
crashing in dives and playing tiny stages. Everynow and then I might get invited to a 'nice' gig but I'll need the money
and the whole deal to be ok.
IF I was to do it full time, I'd want considerably more p.a than my current jobs pays, and I'd want it to be pretty steady
for a good few years.
Earning good money at music isn't so hard, it is doing it day-in, day-out, week-in, week-out, that is the trick.
I'll wager than many of my friends struggle to earn £25k a year doing what they love..?? and I mean struggle..!!
Me, I have bills and a life style to pay for... so no, I would have to have a LOT of questioned answered..

What price/salary I would have to be in with a very good chance of earning, every year..I'd have to think,
and I also don't think it is going to happen either.
[/quote]

It's different for everyone. Me,I'm retired with no dept except for a very low mortgage payment. Heck if I could clear 12K I would be fine. I don't have a lifestyle. :D

Blue

Edited by blue

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1431742407' post='2774578']
And I'll catch hell for this , but nobody will ever convince me they love their office job.
[/quote]

Well "love" is a strong word but in my case programming is probably my main interest and also happens to be my day job. Music ranks in at probably 3 or 4 down my interest lists and yes it would probably be fun to do it for a living but I imagine some of the novelty would wear off after a while.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1431858574' post='2775564']

Well "love" is a strong word but in my case programming is probably my main interest and also happens to be my day job. Music ranks in at probably 3 or 4 down my interest lists and yes it would probably be fun to do it for a living but I imagine some of the novelty would wear off after a while.
[/quote]

Understood, however I really talking about the few of us with a narrow interest scope which would be music and playing bass guitar.

Blue