Why become a member? ×

Stand for bass, any suggestions?

FinnDave

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1431245003' post='2769049']
I have always simply leant my bass against my speakers between sets, etc, but these days usually DI into the PA so don't have a handy speaker to lean it on. There have also been a few occasions on a crowded stage where my bass has been knocked over, no damage so far but it is only a matter of time before something serious happens.

I would like to buy a stand, can anyone recommend one which is sturdy enough for bass and won't damage my cellulose finished Jazz bass?
[/quote]

Take at look at the On-Stage A-frame (with neck), product no. GS7465. About $25 over here (USA) from Musician's Friend, very well built and very sturdy.

About Hercules: I loved mine till the soft rubber they've begun using on the tripod adjustment screw and around the neck adjustment handle turned gradually to black glue--it deteriorates, and you can't use the stand without getting this black, sticky glue on your hands. (I'm not overly fastidious; I mean, you have to scrub it off.) The On-Stage works well for me.

Wylie.

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1431560403' post='2772684']
Take at look at the On-Stage A-frame (with neck), product no. GS7465. About $25 over here (USA) from Musician's Friend, very well built and very sturdy.

About Hercules: I loved mine till the soft rubber they've begun using on the tripod adjustment screw and around the neck adjustment handle turned gradually to black glue--it deteriorates, and you can't use the stand without getting this black, sticky glue on your hands. (I'm not overly fastidious; I mean, you have to scrub it off.) The On-Stage works well for me.

Wylie.
[/quote]

I have 2 Hercules stands on stage with me every weekend and have never seen or had black sticky glue on my hands or any where else?

Blue

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have 2 Hercules stands on stage with me every weekend and have never seen or had black sticky glue on my hands or any where else?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Blue [/font][/color][/quote]

Same here - I've got three, one I've had for about ten years now and it's been used at every gig, no deterioration, even the paint's still in pretty good nick. Do you use any oil or cleaner of the neck/fret board that might have reacted?

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1431245886' post='2769059']
[attachment=191702:Hercules.jpg]
Hercules. I've used them for years. You lower your bass into the spring-loaded clip and it closes around the neck.
[/quote]
I wouldn't use that type of stand personally. I had one for christmas about 3yrs back and found that when they accidentally get knocked from the back or side the bass swings forward like a pendulum and falls face down. Fortunately this happened in my home and I caught it before it hit the deck. I wrote to the manufacturer about it but got no reply and I exchanged it for this one shown below. [url="http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS415B.html"]http://www.herculess...ars/GS415B.html[/url] which I find is much more stable.

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I wouldn't use that type of stand personally. I had one for christmas about 3yrs back and found that when they accidentally get knocked from the back or side the bass swings forward like a pendulum and falls face down. Fortunately this happened in my home and I caught it before it hit the deck. I wrote to the manufacturer about it but got no reply and I exchanged it for this one shown below. [/font][/color][url="http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS415B.html"]http://www.herculess...ars/GS415B.html[/url][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] which I find is much more stable.[/font][/color][/quote]

Yes I agree - I use the one with the small support peg for my acoustic guitar but the three for my basses are the the one you show - lot more stable and robust

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1431566151' post='2772704']
I have 2 Hercules stands on stage with me every weekend and have never seen or had black sticky glue on my hands or any where else?

Blue
[/quote]

The older ones (ten years back?) had those parts in hard plastic; subsequently those parts were switched to rubber. Maybe this only happened in the U.S.-marketed stands? At any rate (and to answer the other poster) it does happen with mine, and I haven't used any kind of cleaner or solvent on the stand.

W.

[quote name='Booooooom' timestamp='1431255511' post='2769205']
Small compact and does the trick: http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS402BB.html
Only thing is the bass leans back quite a bit so with a bass on doesn't save much room but does when it's empty.
[/quote]

I use one of these fairly regularly. Packs down small enough to fit in my gigbag.

Not the most stable but I've never had a bass fall from one :)