Why become a member? ×

Aria Pro II SB-1000 mk1 (batwing) Rebuild

Norris

There is a slight bit of high end hum but it won't be noticeable on a gig. It's there whether I use the original BB circuit (which still works) or the one that Prostheta supplied. I can't recall if it used to do that anyway it's been so long since I heard it!

Still grinning :D

Sounds like the shielding could be improved, or a slight earthing fault exists. Don't trust graphite paint! Copper shielding throughout. Having to do this aro und the 5-string 51 P bass I'm fitting with a modified SB-1000 circuit. Hoping it silences even single coils!

[quote name='Prostheta' timestamp='1432910135' post='2786155']
Sounds like the shielding could be improved, or a slight earthing fault exists. Don't trust graphite paint! Copper shielding throughout. Having to do this aro und the 5-string 51 P bass I'm fitting with a modified SB-1000 circuit. Hoping it silences even single coils!
[/quote]

Yes, it only has the original graphite paint currently - which is only in the main recess, not under the pickup. I'll get some decent copper shielding.

It's difficult to figure out the source of that bit of noise without "opening up the patient". Graphite paint shielding is easy for the factory but not always effective. Unsure as to why though. It could be something as simple as a misplaced ground or a cold solder joint somewhere. Copper foil is probably a bit of a chore in the SB-1000 given the sheer amount of real estate in the cavities and the fact that the base is recessed around the pot locations, etc. I do stained glass work as an aside, so cutting copper circles for the recesses and laying strips around the perimeter would be no big deal. We have 1/4" foil kicking around all over the place, which is great for laying tracks under pickguards, etc. Just be mindful of shorts. That and mid-length pants too.

Edited by Prostheta

[b]It Lives Again[/b]

Prepare for the photo-fest! As promised here a few nicer pictures. Enjoy :)

Unfortunately there was some damage around the jack socket that has been glued up and an additional washer added for some extra strength

I'm sure you'll agree that Andy has done a fantastic job on the refinish - a job to be proud of.

I'll have a go at some sound samples...

[b]Sound Samples[/b]

First of all disclaimers:
There seems to be a bit of distortion when I play too hard. This is within the bass and happens whichever of the two BB pre-amps I use. I suspect that the replacement pickup is a little hotter than the original, but cannot take it down any further from the strings at the moment. It's obviously a niggle to be investigated
I don't usually noodle along like this & have no prepared clever bits to play - excuse the fluffs!
I have a bit of a hangover still from last night - excuse the fluffs

Having said that the samples should be enough for you to get an idea of the tone :)

[url="http://soundcloud.com/norristhebass/aria-sb-1000-rotary-tone-2"]Rotary Tone Control with the Tone Pot Up Full[/url]

[url="http://soundcloud.com/norristhebass/aria-sb-1000-rotary-tone-1"]Rotary Tone Control with the Tone Pot at Minimum[/url]

[url="http://soundcloud.com/norristhebass/aria-sb-1000-rotary-tone"]Rotary Tone Control While Noodling Along to Drums[/url]

I hope those links work :)

Edit: Just to say, I have tried to keep the tone as unadulterated as possible, The bass is plugged directly into my Behringer Xenix 1622 mixer (with USB output into the PC) and then recorded within Reaper. There is no EQ or effects applied, just gain staging.

Edited by Norris

Firstly, congratulations! That is a restoration and a half. Given the initial condition, one would find it difficult to believe that was the same instrument. Seriously, top job.
I'm not surprised that the pickup distorts the front end of your mixer. What came off the original pickups was hot to say the least, and I am sure that those and repros will clang against the rails quite happily on transients. I bet that had the BB circuit originally been designed to run off a single 9v supply it would have had....problems! That mid-range burp is perfect. Just perfect.

Anyway. Can you find out how much shipping would be to Finland then? Ta.

Edited by Prostheta

[quote name='Prostheta' timestamp='1432999841' post='2786943']
Firstly, congratulations! That is a restoration and a half. Given the initial condition, one would find it difficult to believe that was the same instrument. Seriously, top job.
I'm not surprised that the pickup distorts the front end of your mixer. What came off the original pickups was hot to say the least, and I am sure that those and repros will clang against the rails quite happily on transients. I bet that had the BB circuit originally been designed to run off a single 9v supply it would have had....problems! That mid-range burp is perfect. Just perfect.

Anyway. Can you find out how much shipping would be to Finland then? Ta.
[/quote]

Many thanks, although the credit needs to go to Andy for the job he's done.

On the sound samples it's definitely not overloading the mixer. It does the same going through my practise amp (an old powered wedge monitor). I thought it was the amp that was dodgy when I was playing it after fitting the new pickup, but the signal on the mixer was nowhere near overloading either. I might have to take the pickup out again and compare the height to the old one - I have a suspicion it might be slightly taller than the original. There's hardly any room to lower it away from the strings and the gap between the top of the pickup and the bottom of the strings is only about 2mm.

That of itself is an interesting observation. Does the pickup rout have the press-fit threaded inserts for the pickup or does it use simple wood screws? Worst comes to the worst, ask Andy to rout the cavity a few mm deeper to allow a bit more room for adjustment. I mean, it looks like it's sitting comfortably at a good height but a problem is a problem.

It's got wood screws. If I try to screw it down further it starts to stress the pickup outer cover. There is some sponge in the cavity but there's not a lot of depth to play with and the sponge is pretty compressed already. It might well need the cavity routed deeper to allow a bit of adjustment

• 1 month later...

Hmmm. We've got the pickup lowered but it's still distorting. Some more diagnostics are in order when I get back from my holiday. I won't be gigging it tonight then - I was hoping it might be the first post-rebuild gig for it :(