Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass 24

Dubs

Has anyone got one/tried one? What are they like and how do they differ in feel to the ‘normal’ Jazz basses?

Just for clarification, I’m talking about this:

Active with Seymour Duncan pickups, and personally I think they look pretty damn good as well. I can’t really understand why they’re cheaper than the normal Jazz basses though (I can get one new for under £500) - Can anyone explain? (is it cos they're sh*t?)

The 24 frets really appeal to me as I’m usually a Warwick player, but it’s not only this that seems different about the Jazz 24 compared to the normal Jazz basses…the active Seymour Duncan’s are an obvious difference…

Does anyone know anywhere near Derby (Birmingham or Nottingham probably) where I could go and try one out?

Alternatively, any suggestions for a decent Jazz bass (new or used) for around the £500 mark?

[quote name='Machines' post='268067' date='Aug 22 2008, 07:42 PM']I quite liked the one I tried. A very modern Jazz sound to it - great tone to it. The active EQ does make a big difference to the tone and in a positive way...[/quote]

So they're not bad then? I just found out they're "Made In Korea", so that's put me off a bit and probably explained why they're relatively cheap.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='268108' date='Aug 22 2008, 08:57 PM']...i thought the neck on the squier felt better, better finish and it felt thinner for some reason...[/quote]

That’s interesting to hear, but I’m slightly ashamed to admit that I’m a bit of a gear snob so the Squire is a complete no-go for me. I’ve got to find somewhere where I can try this against a new ’08 American Standard Jazz, cos that’s the other one I’ve been eyeing up, but a new one is out of my price range at the moment.

[quote name='TheRinser' post='268448' date='Aug 23 2008, 01:53 PM']My old housemate has one, they're great basses. Lovely tone and very nice indeed to play. Have a look at www.myspace.com/carterbrown to hear it in action! :)[/quote]

Cheers for that, it sounds and looks good man despite the low quality myspace MP3s – I’ve got to try one out somewhere, I’m not buying before trying again…

PS - Good band as well :huh:

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='268079' date='Aug 22 2008, 07:58 PM']So they're not bad then? I just found out they're "Made In Korea", so that's put me off a bit and probably explained why they're relatively cheap.[/quote]

My Lakland Darryl Jones is 'crafted in Korea', and its one of the nicest basses for feel and sound I have played,and I have played a lot! Geddy Lee? another good example.
You have got to pick these basses up, play them and decide if they are right for you. You dont necessarilly have to go with whats written on the woodwork! Be your own judge. :) Good luck, just have fun.
T le B

• 15 years later...
11 hours ago, Radchenko said:

Hello,what bridge (light) could be a good upgrade for this bass

Not quite the same bass but I put a Babicz bridge on a Fender FMT 22 fret that I had 👍 The 5 string version I had weighed in at 140g / 5oz

P1050990.thumb.JPG.19d3a7cfe350304cd870d9d094c44be6.JPG

I’ve got one in flat black that I’m fixing up. I had a ‘63 Jazz for a number of years and the 24’s neck feels just as good. I like the tonal variety. The mid sweep and “slap switch” work well at gigs for a fast tone adjustment. I’m a bit farther away but you’re welcome to try it.

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

Someone requesting a light bridge?  Not something you see every day - usually everyone's about the high mass.

What's up with the bridge on the bass just now?

Im a big believer of the more metal in the way of the string vibration to the body the more compressed it will sound. There is nothing a Fender srew saddle cant do that a Hipshot A style cant. They are simple, you can adjust the string spacing. Its over thinking a design that doesn't need to be. Just like string through bridges blah blah.  Buy a high mass then you have to shim the neck etc.