Why become a member? ×

A bit scary.....

Looking at a Fender Precision Elite II advertised on the Bass Direct web site. The serial number has been removed from the headstock. So what's that all about...Was it nicked at some stage? Is it a real one? what does that do to the resale value of it? and is it now worth the asking price ? I am interested in buying it, but I am very apprehensive because of that insane act of vandalism. I can only think of one reason why someone would do that to a guitar, and that would be to make it untraceable. What do you reckon....

I have had a lot of gear off Mark, and his integrity is absolutely not in question here, I just want the opinion of a few people who know more about Fenders than I do. Also, I have noticed a small screw head showing between the A and D string on the head stock just above the truss rod aperture. I have not seen this on other Fenders, so again, can anyone put my mind at rest about this bass...

Mr Notes, the screw hole looks like someone has added an extra string retainer at some point - not sure why, mind you.

Those Precision Elite basses are nice (though I remember them being really heavy and some of the tones were a wee bit 'extreme' as I recall).

If you're now looking at Ps/similar that do a bit more then you should also look at the Sandberg P-style basses. They're lovely instruments and may actually give you a wider variety of usable tones than the Elite would.

Similarly, for less money, you could get a Mexican P-bass Special, which has both a Precision and Jazz p/up fitted with active circuitry.

And if it's purely a P-bass you're after that offers a bit more then the Nate Mendel basses are superb instruments - Jazz neck, Di Marzio p/up and a Badass bridge all as standard. The tone control is one of the most subtle I've heard on a P-bass - i.e. it's not just on or off.

That looks a lovely example of the Elites at a decent price I would think, just a shame about the serial number, I can't imagine why it's been removed but that wouldn't make me think it was stolen. The seller is totally up front about it, as suggested get in touch with Mark - he might know the history.

That's quite interesting to know Mr Riva.... I was initially intending to spend about 500, and I got pointed in the direction of Bass Direct where there is a nice P bass for sale.... And that's when I spotted the Elite... Lust set in, the budget was instantly forgotten, and that's why I am asking about the Elite as Its an unknown quantity to me. Thanks for that....will follow up.

You can buy from Mark with confidence, and I am sure the bass will not turn out to be stolen as you are buying from a very reputable source, however what happens when you decide to part with it? Obviously, I am not casting aspersions on your character but to trade to another shop, how will they view the missing serial number? To sell privately, again you can give assurances and show where you brought it from, but there will always be doubt and hence the bass would have to be priced accordingly....personally I would walk away from it purely for the uncertainty of being able to sell it on