Why become a member? ×

Instant Mojo

Floyd Pepper

Has anyone else had that moment when they pick up a different bass and everything just feels right? With all my basses. it's taken a while to get really comfortable.

At last nights rehearsal, our guitarist brought along his Fender P Bass and after a couple of numbers I decided to put down my 'ray and give it a go. Everything about this bass just felt right [b]instantly[/b][i][/i]
The feel, weight, tone, neck, strings, finger positions....everything! (The colour is a bit of a 'marmite' (love it/hate it) style with blue/pink flowers though)
Regardless, it was instant mojo, instant GAS.
Cheers,
FP

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='267514' date='Aug 22 2008, 01:00 AM']Has anyone else had that moment when they pick up a different bass and everything just feels right? With all my basses. it's taken a while to get really comfortable.

At last nights rehearsal, our guitarist brought along his Fender P Bass and after a couple of numbers I decided to put down my 'ray and give it a go. Everything about this bass just felt right [b]instantly[/b][i][/i]
The feel, weight, tone, neck, strings, finger positions....everything! (The colour is a bit of a 'marmite' (love it/hate it) style with blue/pink flowers though)
Cheers,
FP[/quote]

well...if you're not gonna need your 'ray no more...i can think of a really nice home for it :huh:

I totally understand what you mean, it's like when I played my 'ray for the first time (i remember it well :) ) and everything just clicked!

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='267514' date='Aug 22 2008, 01:00 AM']Has anyone else had that moment when they pick up a different bass and everything just feels right? With all my basses. it's taken a while to get really comfortable.

Cheers,
FP[/quote]

Welcome aboard! What kept you? :)

Blue / Pink flowers... was this a 50s-style single-coil one?

I have had exactly the same in the past. New basses have been nice but taking some adjusting to. My ray was stunning but still it never felt 100% for some reason, same with my Fender P, and Ibanez ATK.

When the Roscoe Beck V arrived I was just in awe! it instantly felt like I was being re-united with an old friend, it was great. To be honest I am so so happy with it and glad I have found a bass for me, even thought the last bass I thought I would click with would be a fender V.

So the question is, are you going to make an offer on the floral P?

[quote name='NJE' post='267642' date='Aug 22 2008, 09:06 AM']When the Roscoe Beck V arrived I was just in awe! it instantly felt like I was being re-united with an old friend, it was great. To be honest I am so so happy with it and glad I have found a bass for me, even thought the last bass I thought I would click with would be a fender V.[/quote]

Exactly the same for me when I got my RBV last October.. only ever had that before with my Wal!

[attachment=12514:54_P_Bas...e_Flower.jpg]

That's the one except it also has the chrome pick up cover and bridge ashtray.
Our guitarist has let me bring it home so that I can make sure but I think my mind's already made up and it will be taking its rightful place in my home.Still not letting the 'ray go though. If anything it may be the MMiller Jazz that I have to wave goodbye to...I so much wanted that to do the same but I've just never quite got on with it.
Cheers,
FP

I picked this up from a pawn shop for buttons a few years ago, with a view to a bit of Ebay profiteering. I'm not proud:

[attachment=12515:CSLoriginal.jpg]

However, even with rotten, dead strings, misaligned bridge, banana-shaped neck, and 25 years of filth on it - the moment I sat down & played it - [i]everything[/i] felt right.

I've owned & played some really nice instruments over the years, but this thing has something indefinable that nothing else does - and it's my no. 1 bass, and now looks more like this:

[attachment=12516:CSL2008.jpg]

If I had to sell the lot & keep just one, it would be this, no question. :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='267713' date='Aug 22 2008, 11:10 AM']I picked this up from a pawn shop for buttons a few years ago, with a view to a bit of Ebay profiteering. I'm not proud:

[attachment=12515:CSLoriginal.jpg]

However, even with rotten, dead strings, misaligned bridge, banana-shaped neck, and 25 years of filth on it - the moment I sat down & played it - [i]everything[/i] felt right.

I've owned & played some really nice instruments over the years, but this thing has something indefinable that nothing else does - and it's my no. 1 bass, and now looks more like this:

[attachment=12516:CSL2008.jpg]

If I had to sell the lot & keep just one, it would be this, no question. :)

Jon.[/quote]
Ah, now you’re talking ……..back perloid (I did the same with my MM Sabre) and ‘80’s crème DiMarzios– you just don’t see enough of it these days! Absolutely love it!

Buy it from him, I mean how could you not? sounds to me like this is the bass that your hands were made for, so passing this up would be criminal, it could be a cure to all your GAS and you may never feel the need to buy another bass again, just do us all a favour and get a nice black or white refin on it! :)

I called in at the shop in Ibstock where I got my BB415 from with the intention of asking him to get me a 414. While he searched the internet for the best deal I came across a Japanese Precision. I picked it up and just sat playing it acoustically. It just felt so right and I knew it had to come home with me.