Why become a member? ×

Buy it now price

I've stopped trying to sell anything on Ebay totally. If I remember rightly, if you add a Buy it now, your auction starting price has to be 40% lower than the Buy it now? To me that means you either have to start the auction 'high' (Buy it now 'high') or put the Buy it now at a 'too' tempting price or that high there will be no chance of selling it. By the time you have paid ebay, their postage cut and paypal fees it's not worth selling anything on there. I sort of worked out that by the time I had paid all those it knocked 20% off the final selling price. That's a big fee...

Also, why would a buyer pay their fees when BC has a marketplace that is far cheaper and with far less scammers!

Edited by itsmedunc

I generally put anything up at 99p and simply let it run it's course. The low start gets folk interested in watching it and most things find their true value. Certainly there's enough folk watching the basses that no bass ever gets sold at a real bargain price, unless someone is at Lands End with "Collection only".

What bugs me is the reserve price. In a real "stand in the room and raise you hand" type auction, the punters don't know there is a reserve price. On Ebay it's like there's an "elephant in the room". We all know the reserve price hasn't been met. You can watch it for 7 days. It gets to the end, only to find the item NEVER gets to sell, because the [s]plonker selling[/s] seller has some inflated idea of the item's value.

I even feel tempted to put my Harley Benton up there for sale, start at 99p, with a reserve of £2k and see it relist week after week, after week, after week....

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1429885754' post='2756010']
I've stopped trying to sell anything on Ebay totally. If I remember rightly, if you add a Buy it now, your auction starting price has to be 40% lower than the Buy it now? To me that means you either have to start the auction 'high' (Buy it now 'high') or put the Buy it now at a 'too' tempting price or that high there will be no chance of selling it. By the time you have paid ebay, their postage cut and paypal fees it's not worth selling anything on there. I sort of worked out that by the time I had paid all those it knocked 20% off the final selling price. That's a big fee...

Also, why would a buyer pay their fees when BC has a marketplace that is far cheaper and with far less scammers!
[/quote]trouble with the BC marketplace is there's a £7 fee whether you sell or not (as I understand it) and there's a far lower market place for your item, on ebay you only pay if you sell and I claw a bit of the fees back by inflating the postage.
[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1429886661' post='2756024']
I generally put anything up at 99p and simply let it run it's course. The low start gets folk interested in watching it and most things find their true value. Certainly there's enough folk watching the basses that no bass ever gets sold at a real bargain price, unless someone is at Lands End with "Collection only".

What bugs me is the reserve price. In a real "stand in the room and raise you hand" type auction, the punters don't know there is a reserve price. On Ebay it's like there's an "elephant in the room". We all know the reserve price hasn't been met. You can watch it for 7 days. It gets to the end, only to find the item NEVER gets to sell, because the [s]plonker selling[/s] seller has some inflated idea of the item's value.

I even feel tempted to put my Harley Benton up there for sale, start at 99p, with a reserve of £2k and see it relist week after week, after week, after week....
[/quote]I agree with reserve price, what's the point? just start the auction at your lowest price if you don't want to risk letting it go too cheaply

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1429892868' post='2756134']
There's a more recent trend of buy-it-now or best offer.... so one can put an optimistic BIN price on it while still retaining the option to sell if a sensible offer comes in.
[/quote]

I quite like the way that is done, you can put an 'auto-accept' and 'auto-reject' price in so you only really have to deal with the prices that you are not sure about.

The bass I bought last weekend was a buy it now that didn't hit the reserve, so it didn't even go up to the amount I offered, so I contacted him separately outside the auction and offered him what my snipe was. We came to a price above my snipe and a long way below his buy it now. I forgot to ask what his reserve was, I am guessing from his comments it was a way above what I paid.

I must say I never really saw the point of reserve.

I guess it depends on what you are selling, if I have something that I want a minimum price for, then I list that as a starting price, if it doesn't sell then it stays with me, other stuff I list at a 99p starting price and, as mentioned above, let it find it's own value, most items reach what I hoped, occasionally something will make more, my worst one was a Peavey Firebass head and 2 Blackwidow loaded 1x15 cabs that only made £220.00 the guy that won it said it was the best bargain he ever got, I hope he still has backache from moving the bloody thing!

I buy and sell a lot on eBay.
Buy on auctions, sell on buy it now.

Do your research, check sold items to get a realistic market value and set your buy it now accordingly.
Don't go near an auction if you are selling is my advice.

People will pay a little more on a buy it now as it gives them time to convince themselves they want to pay that amount and they don't have the unpredictability of whether they will win an auction.
Just keep the price realistic.

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1430093714' post='2757959']
I buy and sell a lot on eBay.
Buy on auctions, sell on buy it now.

Do your research, check sold items to get a realistic market value and set your buy it now accordingly.
Don't go near an auction if you are selling is my advice.

People will pay a little more on a buy it now as it gives them time to convince themselves they want to pay that amount and they don't have the unpredictability of whether they will win an auction.
Just keep the price realistic.
[/quote]now I've thought about 'buy it now' does make a lot of sense with the make me an offer bit included, I've just put a combo on there at a highish price but not silly and already had an offer, a bit on the low side but not insulting

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1430126362' post='2758097']
The down-side of the auction, is the buyer has a week to think and weigh up the question of if they really want it or not.

If you go for a "buy it now" then the click and woops!! It's theirs.
[/quote]

Yes, that's how "now" usually works. :D :P ;)

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1429892868' post='2756134']
There's a more recent trend of buy-it-now or best offer.... so one can put an optimistic BIN price on it while still retaining the option to sell if a sensible offer comes in.
[/quote]

This is what I do, sold lots of stuff this way.

If you price realistically then items can sell really quickly too - no waiting around for your auction to finish. My old iPhone 4 was listed, sold and paid for in twenty minutes.