Why become a member? ×

Should I swap my BF Super 12T for a Compact?

BobVbass

Hi all,

well for many years now I've been using a Gen1 Barefaced Super 12T and bloody excellent it is too, I've done probably well over 100 gigs with it and never failed to get anything but brilliant tone and clarity from any of the amps I've used over the years.

I've also never got anywhere near its head room - I'm using a MB LM 500 watt thing at the minute and I usually run it at about 1/2 power and it's bloody loud- certainly loud enough for our functions in some pretty big clubs.

So, being already spoilt with a lightweight cab it makes me wonder whether I should downsize even more and swap the Super 12T for a compact? Maybe I could get a 2 seat convertible then and still carry my rig about :) (ok ignore the double bass bit :) )

Or should I just keep on with what I've got ?

what do you think?

I wouldn't. I had a Compact a while back and compared to my 2x12 (see sig) it was nowhere near as loud. I think the Compact was 8 ohm and my 2x12 is 4 ohm which sounds similar to what you're proposing. The Compact is certainly a great cab but if you need volume I'd stick with the one you've got.

I found the Compact to be a lot warmer sounding than the S12T - plus as others have said, the S12T a lot louder too, as you`d expect with twice the amount of speakers. I also find that the "size" of the sound is much more, again not surprising given that there is twice the amount of speakers. sometimes "size" of sound is more important than actual volume, especially in bigger venues. I`d keep the S12T, the Compact is a great cab, but the S12T for me is the ideal one-cab solution.

If you sell it, you'll buy another the following week.

Mine, with a Markbass F1, has a wonderful, modern, clean sound.

When I want something else, I wheel out the Ampeg 410 and the old skool, valver.

Two horses, two courses, each one a winner