Why become a member? ×

Cab for markbass lm tube?

Guinness21

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1429654226' post='2753762']
Have you tried any cabs yet? If not, grab your amp & bass & go try some.
[/quote]

I've only tried the couple, one being the Markbass Traveler 121h, but I'm trying to plan ahead so I can get the most out of one visit to a specific shop. It's a bit o fa treck.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1429659830' post='2753789']
I've only tried the couple, one being the Markbass Traveler 121h, but I'm trying to plan ahead so I can get the most out of one visit to a specific shop. It's a bit o fa treck.
[/quote]
That's a sensible plan. Might be worth checking to see if there's a bass bash local to you.

• 2 weeks later...

***UPDATE*** So I went to see Drew at manchester bas lounge today to try a couple of things out - a Markbass 104HF and a Barefaced Super Twin (actually a Big Twin 2 with the tweeter turned off). I know people aren't as keen on the markbass cabs as they are the heads, but the 104HF sounded great. I played a range of stuff, and it sounded great no matter what I was playing. Being front ported, it really is a wall of sound! It's really light for a 4x10 too, though if I ended up buying one I'd probably put casters on it.

What really surprised me was that I didn't like the barefaced. I really liked how punchy the dirvers were, but to my ears the cab seemed to exaggerate the top end of my stingray. I know both markbass and barefaced gear is supposed to be transparent, but like I said the bf cab was really trebly. Drew played round with the eq but it just added this 'clickiness' to the sound. I was playing trough an LM Tube the whole time, and bizarrely with the ss-tube blend at noon and the VLE filter at noon the BF produced a heavy overdrive sound, whereas the 104HF just warmed things up and the tubes added a hair to the note. The BF seemed a lot less tolerable of the vintage sounds.

So I think I'm going to have to arrange a trip to bass direct. I know I liked the Markbass 104HF but I'm really interested in trying the Bergantino HD212, CN212 and the Vanderkley 212MNT.

I`ve found, moving from Markbass to Barefaced cabs, much the same. However I`ve realised that it`s the Barefaced that are very flat/transparent, whereas the Markbass cabs seemed to roll off the highs somewhat. I noticed this as when I was DI-ing out to FOH my fairly driven/twangy sound was incredibly twangy out front when using the Markbass set-up, but when using the Barefaced, what I was hearing on stage was what was going out front.

Not saying I don`t like Markbass gear though, far from it, I love it, but I want to ensure that what I hear is what the audience hears and the Barefaced cabs do that better for me. I did have to have a rethink on eq though, as at first it really seemed like treble-city. I think that`s what hits most of us when first using a BF cab - the amount of the whole tonal spectrum that comes through. I really notice it on provided rig gigs now as well - I have to remember to adjust the treble on the amp, not on my DI/Preamp pedal as I know FOH is getting what I want the audience to hear.

That's interesting. I think you're probably right about the highs, I just hadn't heard my top end heavy bass through punchy drivers so that clicky sound was a new one to me. Still don't think I like it. The Markbass just seems to remove that sizzle from the treble, while like I said the barefaced almost seems to exaggerate it. So the Markbass 104HF is currently winning, but there are a few more cabs I still need to try out.

Phew! The 12XN drivers roll off at about 4kHz but there's quieter output from the 3" dome in the middle of each up to 10kHz. They're VERY clean sounding drivers so you hear all the detail - which isn't to everyone's taste, hence we make the Retro 10 cabs too, which are much mellower sounding.

Put overdrive through a 12XN cab and you hear all of it, all the grit, edge, dirt etc. Put it through a Retro 10 cab and it gets softened like you heard from the Markbass. Did Drew not have a Retro Two10 in stock?

Unfortunately he didn't :( Prior to shopping I hadn't tried too many cabs, so though I might have talked about clean sounding cabs, the barefaced was the first one I tried (Markbass sell themselves as transparent but as Lozz mentioned they roll off the highs). So the sound was just a little unexpected, and perhaps isn't the sound I'm chasing.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1429615097' post='2753153'] We were going to buy the lm tube with 1 traveler 121, then I'd buy a second traveler for larger gigs. But now he's decided that he wants a traveler 151, which changes things.[/quote]

I've got both those cabs. Run then off a Big Bang. having practised and gigged them I should have gone for 2 x 121H. The 151P doesn't bring anything except bulk to the mix.

I only use them for practise now though (they are stored at the practise space) and use a Barefaced SuperTwin. It's half the weight of the MB pair and the sound is better to my ear. A lot more headroom too. It's also pricey - about the cost of the two MB cabs or slightly over!

Given the budget though I guess you're going to be limited to a single small cab now and add on later if you need to.

I don't think its really the highs that are the issue, it's more the upper midrange, the 800Hz-2kHz region. A lot of bass cabs have a dip there, particularly off-axis but our 12XN cabs don't. The Markbass amps (if you're running them clean) are amongst the most transparent but none of their cabs really are.

Even with the HF driver all the way up on the Big Twin 2 there's no treble boost at all - there are just no dips anywhere, right through the mids too. I think your Stingray is a much brighter sounding bass than you realised - I didn't know Drew's first Two10 had already left GBBL - I suspect it might be the right beast to tame the Stingray though!

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1430571806' post='2762729']
That's interesting. I think you're probably right about the highs, I just hadn't heard my top end heavy bass through punchy drivers so that clicky sound was a new one to me. Still don't think I like it. The Markbass just seems to remove that sizzle from the treble, while like I said the barefaced almost seems to exaggerate it. So the Markbass 104HF is currently winning, but there are a few more cabs I still need to try out.
[/quote]

What is your budget...
I've seen a pr of SL112's for £600 on FB and a pr of Baer 112's for around £900...but maybe the 6" driver is too clean for you...??

The Bergantino HD212 is a great cab but hard to find. We tried to order one recently but the wait list was too long so we had to remove it.

The new CN210 is cool. Has a lot of the signature Bergantino Neo sound in a smaller, and cheaper, package than the CN212.

I have the Berg AE210 which sounds huge but I'm seriously thinking of trading it for the CN210 simply be use it's about 25% lighter.

Markbass cabs do tend to sound particularly good with their own heads. My personal favourite is the Traveller 210. A 4ohm one of these will cover a lot of gigs or a pair of 8ohms will give greater flexibility (but at twice the price of course).

Yeah I hadn't realised that about the HD. Tbh I think I'd much prefer the CN anyway, just would be nice to A/B if I had the opportunity. Well I've exchanged a few emails with Mark from Bass Direct, and I'm going to co-ordinate my trip with them getting the Bergantino cn410 in stock. So then I'll get to try the CN212, the Vanderkley 212MNT and the Berg CN410 (which I think is new?).