Why become a member? ×

The Most Harrowing Song I Ever Heard

Hobbayne

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1429448499' post='2751432']
Hüsker Dü, 'Diane'. We lost a guitarist to that song; he quit rather than play it.

Though it's more about shock value, I suppose.
[/quote]

Now this is a genuinely frightening song, a masterpiece in the most macabre way. I love Husker Du but that song is too much sometimes.

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1429312576' post='2750456']
This topic reminds me of gloomy Sunday by Billie holiday. Ot got banned from several countries as hundreds of people were commuting suicide. Quite an interesting but sad story behind it
[/quote]
Bit of an urban legend that one.

When I saw The Boiler being mentioned - it rang a bell, I googled the lyrics and immediately remembered it and why. It is truly harrowing. Couldn't bring myself to listen to it again. Left a lasting impression. Also, went to see Therapy? on Weds night, they were amazing and covered Husker Du's Diane. I was merrily singing along without understanding the context. Again pretty disturbing. Gonna stick to One Direction from now on, now they're a bunch of lovely lads!

Ghost Town by the Specials, I had never been to a big city before, went on a school exchange to Coventry, never really had a great deal of interaction with Asian/Black or Oriental people at all, was living in a very small town, dawn of Thatcherism, urban violence and inner city riots were on the TV a lot, and this song sent chills down my spine, as I heard it at the school, so to that end it still reminds me of that time, still scares me, so its Ghost town and the actual way that song reflected the time and the way it scared me.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1429565608' post='2752764']

Now this is a genuinely frightening song, a masterpiece in the most macabre way. I love Husker Du but that song is too much sometimes.
[/quote]

A lot of Husker Du's stuff isn't exactly a barrel of laughs. Most of Candy Apple Grey is pretty heavy going. I still love 'em, and their influence on many bands is often overlooked I feel. I can hear their sound in so many places.

I started seeing a girl in the early 80's whilst a student, she was from Coventry and some weekends we'd go and stay at her parent's and have a Sat night out in Cov. My recollections of the pubs then was they were actually quite lively with plenty of pub bands still trading on the success of the 2-tone thing.