Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Project - Bubinga Fretless

Andyjr1515

My view is, depending on the body style, it's the most sensible way to lay out a bass for most players.
Excluding Reverse T-bird shapes and other very asymmetric shapes intended to hang differently, the bridge should be as close to the end of the body as possible to create the most portable and easiest playing instrument for most players.

IME with a 32" scale Westone, which has the bridge moved rather than the neck shortened the full 2" from 34" versions, like the one below:

It hangs a little farther to the left than my 34" scale P. It's very playable, but If I were to do one major mod, it would be to move the neck pocket and the bridge roughly 2" right as it hangs when being played.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1435448422' post='2808962']
My view is, depending on the body style, it's the most sensible way to lay out a bass for most players.
Excluding Reverse T-bird shapes and other very asymmetric shapes intended to hang differently, the bridge should be as close to the end of the body as possible to create the most portable and easiest playing instrument for most players.

IME with a 32" scale Westone, which has the bridge moved rather than the neck shortened the full 2" from 34" versions, like the one below:

It hangs a little farther to the left than my 34" scale P. It's very playable, but If I were to do one major mod, it would be to move the neck pocket and the bridge roughly 2" right as it hangs when being played.
[/quote]
Fascinating....it's something that I'd never really given much thought to before working on the Curbow. Clearly, much cleverer people than me had :)

I was doing some more on the 6 string electric but while the router was out.... :)

Managed to route the pickup chambers:

Earlier on, I talked about how dinky the thumb proportions are (bearing in mind that this is similar dimensions). Here it is next to the 6-string electric!:

Cute or what :D

Andy

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1435505132' post='2809454']
Earlier on, I talked about how dinky the thumb proportions are (bearing in mind that this is similar dimensions). Here it is next to the 6-string electric!:

Cute or what :D

Andy
[/quote]

Following this, and all your threads for that matter, with interest.
Great stuff mate.

Lovely to see how compact the body shape is too. I'm massive fan of the Thumb Bass design, but always felt that it was let down by the ergonomic considerations, or lack of.
I played a 5 string Thumb BO for many years, but eventually gave in and got rid. I miss the sound, but I don't miss playing it...
I agree with the comments above, a medium, or even short scale version would be amazing!

Eude

• 2 weeks later...

This is not forgotten, folks. The above 6-string electric has taken much of the time in the last week or so but is nearing completion:

This should be done this week and then the only active full build I have on my bench is my bubinga bass :D

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1437040245' post='2822964']
!
That's a beautiful guitar! Is there a build thread for that that I'm missing?
[/quote]
Thanks, alittlebitrobot!

There's a build thread ongoing on [url="http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/42422/walnut-re-body-of-peavey-evh/p1"]The Fretboard forum here[/url]. I didn't want to risk being clubbed by 1950's bass guitar baseball-bat-necks for posting a 6-string build thread on this esteemed forum... :lol:

Andy

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1437122128' post='2823708']
Just read through the whole of the dirty stinking guitar build thread.
[/quote]
Yeah, Bryan - I thought of going to confessional but thought I'd probably be kicked out of the church on the basis that some things are beyond redemption ;)

[quote name='Chris Sharman' timestamp='1437127682' post='2823771']
I have to say that I saw that 6-string gee-tar in all it's walnutty glory yesterday. It looks stunning.

Is it bad that I want one?
[/quote]
Yes - it is, Chris. Very bad.

Besides, you might not be so impressed with what it looked like a couple of hours later "...now is it the black wire or the green wire that I cut?????" :lol:

[quote name='blablas' timestamp='1437124038' post='2823725']
I didn't read it (all), a picture can tell me more than a thousand words, another very nice build you've done there.
[/quote]
Thanks, blablas.

I'm pleased with it but I really want to get back to the bubinga... :)

Andy

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1437169413' post='2824269']
Not being a g****rist I'm wondering what's with that 'trick' bridge? The body wood looks fantastic :)
[/quote]
It's a floyd rose tremolo fitted with a drop D mechanism, Howie. Simple but effective. Bit like the hipshot drop D tuners but operating at the other end :)

HOORAY!!!! Progress at last :D

It's amazing what you can get done in an uninterrupted morning!

First of all, the inner control chamber was routed. I won't do the additional rout for the cover until the back has been carved.

Not quite sure how I will sort a curved cover, but managed to cut some thin sheets of bubinga from an offcut with my dirt-cheap entry-level bandsaw :o ....and I didn't break the blade :D :

Still with the bandsaw, I cut the neck side and top profiles and the headstock excess:

Routed the slots for the pickups and cable run:

...and now it's starting to look like a bass:

And here's the back (before I routed the control chamber):

Next step is to start the body carve :)

Andy