Why become a member? ×

Magic blue smoke! (MarkBass content)

6v6

So, clearly I've jinxed myself saying a few times that my MarkBass LM3 has been reliable - this evening at rehearsal without any warning it went quiet and thick smoke started pouring out the back of it! :o

Needless to say I unplugged it immediately, but I know it was something fairly catastrophic from the smell coming out of the thing (burning components/circuit board!)

It's only about 15months old, so does anyone know what the UK warranty honoured by the distributor is? (please tell me more than 12months..)

Fair to say I'm pretty unhappy. Until now the amp has performed great but I probably won't trust it now, even if it gets repaired :(

Only positive thing is at least it blew up in a rehearsal and not in the middle of our gig last Friday!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1428479940' post='2741571']
Sale of goods act will give you upto 6 years to cover manufacture defects. Take it to the retailer first as that's where the legal obligation to provide you with goods fit for purpose lays.
[/quote]

Wow really? I always thought the minimum manufacturers were legally obligated to offer was 12months.

Going to get on to the retailer now and see what they can do..

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1428484254' post='2741640']
Sigh. Retailer is being non-commital on the phone - "we only offer 12 months", then referred me to an email contact page on their website.

Anyone know who the UK distributor is for MarkBass?
[/quote]
Retailers will usually take that stance. Have you got legal cover with your home insurance? If not, then the CAB should be your next stop.
Sale of goods act States that your contract is with the seller, not the manufacturer & products must be sold in a Fit for Purpose condition. So if you expect a bass amp to last more than a year, then it has been a faulty part.

However, MarkBass are helpful & it's worth going on to their Facebook page to see if they can help.

Thomann give a three year warranty, so I guess that's the standard European warranty issued by MarkBass.

If the retailer won't budge then go to the UK distributor direct and get them to educate their retailer.

MSL Professional
Wyvols Court Business Centre,
Swallowfield
Reading
Berkshire
RG7 1WY

0207 118 0133

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the amp back! :)

It was repaired under warranty, eventually. Communication and turnaround time were pretty poor overall, but at least it's done. I won't be gigging without a backup from now on..

Even less impressive is that they've managed to muller half the screws holding the lid on by using the wrong size screwdriver :facepalm:

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1430295638' post='2759863']

It was repaired under warranty, eventually. Communication and turnaround time were pretty poor overall, but at least it's done. I won't be gigging without a backup from now on..

Even less impressive is that they've managed to muller half the screws holding the lid on by using the wrong size screwdriver :facepalm:
[/quote] Good news that it's back - worrying that they thought it was OK to send it back with mashed screws, bit careless.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1430295638' post='2759863']

[/quote]

I'd be getting back to MSl about that if it was mine and asking for some new screws

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1430393563' post='2760933']
I'd be getting back to MSl about that if it was mine and asking for some new screws
[/quote]

Not sure I can face the hassle tbh - I emailed them complaining about the delay and lack of communication re the repair and they didn't even bother replying. :mellow:

Be interested to know who repaired it as Real Electronics are the UK authorised repairer for MB and all I have heard about them is excellent.
They usually turn things round in a matter of days, so could be the retailer got it fixed elsewhere.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1430424624' post='2761399']
Be interested to know who repaired it as Real Electronics are the UK authorised repairer for MB and all I have heard about them is excellent.
They usually turn things round in a matter of days, so could be the retailer got it fixed elsewhere.
[/quote]

It was Real Electronics. Including time spent communicating with the retailer it took about 3 weeks.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1430465711' post='2761597']
It was Real Electronics. Including time spent communicating with the retailer it took about 3 weeks.
[/quote]
That is a real surprise, (No pun intended). We have used them and they have been nothing other than superb.
Appreciate you are a bit hacked off with the whole situation but I would honestly send a snotagram to Mark Bass as,
a) You have a product of theirs, that having been repaired, you are not 100% satisfied with, and you should be as it is still under warranty.
B) They need to know what Real are doing. Real are their reps in the UK and at the moment they are making MB look bad.

For the sake of the odd email, you never know how MB will react.