Why become a member? ×

String slipping !

Luli

Hi,

I put some DR Sunbeams on my stingray 2 weeks ago , they were working fine until last saturday when I was tuning my D string slipped out of the post so it sounded like an A and I couldn't tune it back up. I then attempted to put the string back on but to no avail, whenever I got to a certain tension the string would again slip out of the post. I though it was the strings so I swapped them for a set of elixirs. I put them on with no problem however this morning, my D string again slipped out of the post. All my other strings are fine..Help :(

Cheers in advance,

Luli

Edited by Luli

Ahh so it would seem like I might of just made a good ol' school boy error, still though it seems strange that this only became a problem a week ago, that and the fact that only my D string post is being effected. Anyway, thanks for the advice and I'll give it a go the next time I have a chance.

Might help if you also had the D string strung up in the picture - in fact, a picture with the D string just before you put it in the machine head (showing how far it extends past the machine head) would also be useful. If you haven't got many wraps round the post of the machine head, try just putting a very short bit of string into the central hole (rather than just pushing it to the bottom) which would give you an extra half a turn or so round the post.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1428062487' post='2737630']
In the first picture it looks like the last wrap of the G string is at the top of the pile when it should be at the bottom like the other two? But maybe I'm seeing things wrong.
[/quote]
Is that really important when you have a string retainer?

• 4 months later...

I have always followed this guidance from [url="http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/"]Fender[/url]:

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Pre-cut each string for the proper length and desired amount of winds. Pull the fourth string 4" (102 mm) past its tuning post and cut it (again, make sure to pull each string taut). Insert into the center hole of the tuning key, bend and crimp to a 90° angle, and wind neatly in a downward pattern, being careful to prevent overlapping. Pull the third string 4 1/2" (114 mm) past its tuning post, cut it, and repeat the winding procedure. Pull the second and first strings 4 1/2" (114 mm) past their tuning posts and cut and wind as noted. For five-string basses, cut the fifth string 3 1/2" (89 mm) past its tuning post and repeat the same cutting and winding procedure.[/color][/font][/size]