Why become a member? ×

Bass compressors that keep zingy top? COMPRESSOR PICKED!

Shockwave

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1427819238' post='2734654']
The empress is a great looking compressor, I've never heard one (would love to) shame it only has 3 ratios though :(
[/quote]

You can mix your clean signal with your compressed signal if you find 4:1 is too much.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1427877619' post='2735241']
That becomes parallel compression which is a really nice feature in and of itself

But I find 2:1 often too heavy at the thresholds I like to set it ☺
[/quote]

I like to squish the life out of my signal with a high ratio and then blend in clean to add some life. Makes for an incredible slap sound.

For general uses I have a light compression at 4:1 but I have the mix set to about 3 o'clock.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised nobody has mentioned Keeley 2 or 4 knob compressor. It's the only pedal that has been welded to my board for over 5 years now. It is very transparent, preserves clarity and is especially good at the tops IMO. Everything just sounds better through it.

I have decided! Been looking on Ovnilab and things that are coming up on Ebay.

The best Compressor looking at reviews for my needs is the [u]Seymour Duncan Double Back[/u]. Has a great write up for a Mid Level Compressor. VCA based with some interesting features and the tone is completely neutral. The fact that they usually come up fairly cheap is a bonus.

Just hope people don't bid up on it too much :)

Edited by Shockwave

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/cs2.shtml"]ovnilabs[/url] says that the cs2 rolls off the highs, and looses a bit of lows when bypassed. that and it only has level attack and release controls (no separate threshold ratio and makeup(/input) gains). and off the top of my head i dont think it has metering, so would be hard to dial in even with a full range of controls.