Why become a member? ×

Just won this off the bay (and not a happy bunny!)

kevbass

Ok ok so its not a real stingray but it is an olp copy with a musicman sterling pup already installed, scooped it for 90 quid, sterling sound, stingray looks, a 10th of the price...nice! will give a review and more pics when I get it (hopefully by friday)

out of interest was I bidding against anyone here? I think I got it at such a good price because the seller didnt say in the title it had a sterling pup fitted, only when you read the item description did it say, so Im thinking a lot of people skipped past it thinking it was just a standard olp ray?

Edited by kevbass

[quote name='kevbass' post='264814' date='Aug 18 2008, 06:37 PM']Ok ok so its not a real stingray but it is an olp copy with a musicman sterling pup already installed, scooped it for 90 quid, sterling sound, stingray looks, a 10th of the price...nice! will give a review and more pics when I get it (hopefully by friday)

out of interest was I bidding against anyone here? I think I got it at such a good price because the seller didnt say in the title it had a sterling pup fitted, only when you read the item description did it say, so Im thinking a lot of people skipped past it thinking it was just a standard olp ray?[/quote]

You were bidding against me. You just outbid me. I thought it was a bargain, but as I don't believe in owning multiple basses, I wasn't desparate to own it. Well done anyway.

:) :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Pick up or not, that's an awful lot of guitar for £90. I had one that I modded with SD pick-up and SD three band graphic. I had it set up by a local luthier and it was the best playing bass I've ever owned. With the mods, it sounded very close to the Stingray. Only thing that put me off was the unfinished maple board that was a grime magnet.

On the strength of this bass, I bought a second, a natural one with a rosewood board but it wasn't a patch on the first.

[quote name='stevie' post='264891' date='Aug 18 2008, 08:15 PM']Can't believe I misspelled desperate. Maybe I was a bit disappointed after all :-) - especially as it was a local seller.[/quote]

If for whatever reason I dont get on with it Stevie I'll give you first dibs :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ladies and gentlemen, I recieved the olp bass with sterling pup fitted today, much to my dissapointment. it arrived in its gig bag through parcelforce, not even boxed, the pickup, was a standard OLP bass pickup, I could tell straight away because the pole pieces had the swirl pattern on them and the outer casing of the pickup was different and on taking the pickup screws out the bottom of the pup was sealed in glue, like my standard olp ray, now correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know sterling pups are not sealed pickups.
On top of that the scratchplate that was on it was not an olp scratchplate but that of an actual ray and therefore did not fit correctly, on taking it off there were extra screw holes in the body and poorly done as the screws went it at a diagonal angle. A big patch of buckle rash is on the back.
I have e-mailed the seller asking ofr a refund because of the misdescription of the item as it does not have a sterling pup in it.
I know I only paid £90 but I cant help but feel Ive been jipped.

[quote name='kevbass' post='271693' date='Aug 28 2008, 12:31 PM']Hello Ladies and gentlemen, I recieved the olp bass with sterling pup fitted today, much to my dissapointment. it arrived in its gig bag through parcelforce, not even boxed, the pickup, was a standard OLP bass pickup, I could tell straight away because the pole pieces had the swirl pattern on them and the outer casing of the pickup was different and on taking the pickup screws out the bottom of the pup was sealed in glue, like my standard olp ray, now correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know sterling pups are not sealed pickups.
On top of that the scratchplate that was on it was not an olp scratchplate but that of an actual ray and therefore did not fit correctly, on taking it off there were extra screw holes in the body and poorly done as the screws went it at a diagonal angle. A big patch of buckle rash is on the back.
I have e-mailed the seller asking ofr a refund because of the misdescription of the item as it does not have a sterling pup in it.
I know I only paid £90 but I cant help but feel Ive been jipped.[/quote]

Did you buy it from here?

Sterling pickups have a phantom coil on the bottom of the pickup (just looks like a single coil pickup soldered on the bottom), if it's not there it's not a sterling pickup. Unless someone went to the trouble of removing it, which I doubt.

It is a nice player admitedly, but Im just bitter over the fact I was blatantly lied to in this auction, its not a sterling pickup, theres no third dummy coil, its just a standard olp bass. Not wanting to start sounding paranoid here, but Im wondering , because it took him several days after auction until he shipped it, if the guy was unhappy with the low amount it sold for and took the sterling pup out and banged the old one back in.

Anyways watch this space for any news

[quote name='kevbass' post='271874' date='Aug 28 2008, 04:19 PM']It is a nice player admitedly, but Im just bitter over the fact I was blatantly lied to in this auction, its not a sterling pickup, theres no third dummy coil, its just a standard olp bass. Not wanting to start sounding paranoid here, but Im wondering , because it took him several days after auction until he shipped it, if the guy was unhappy with the low amount it sold for and took the sterling pup out and banged the old one back in.

Anyways watch this space for any news[/quote]

If it had ever had a Sterling pick-up in it there would be deep route along the centre line of the pick-up for the dummy coil. Did it come from Brighton?

[quote name='kevbass' post='271874' date='Aug 28 2008, 04:19 PM']It is a nice player admitedly, but Im just bitter over the fact I was blatantly lied to in this auction, its not a sterling pickup, theres no third dummy coil, its just a standard olp bass. Not wanting to start sounding paranoid here, but Im wondering , because it took him several days after auction until he shipped it, if the guy was unhappy with the low amount it sold for and took the sterling pup out and banged the old one back in.

Anyways watch this space for any news[/quote]
that could be exactly what he did, very interesting, keep up updated!

Good luck with it mate.

I got my Thumb 5 from Ebay, turned up & after a plugged in play & a quick visual check I left positive feedback.

Then a day later discovered a buzzing, took the strings off to find the nut warn & some slight fret wear, nothing major but not quite "Near Mint"

As the guy was in Hawaii & took ages to respond to things I just decided to cut my losses. Lesson learnt for me was to thoroughly check things over from now on.

Like BassManKev said keep us posted!

You're exactly right there mate, the OLP ones are sealed in glue or rubber or whatever it is (i have an OLP pickup lying around) and musicman pickups are loose in the case (i have a musicman too), not to mention the sterling has a phantom coil underneath as had already been mentioned.

Name and shame and get your money back!

[quote name='Waldo' post='272454' date='Aug 29 2008, 12:32 PM']Did you use paypal? If so, make a claim. I was mis-sold a guitar and I got all my money back, plus the guitar :)[/quote]

Yeah I used paypal. Unsupprisingly when I got in contact with the seller through ebay it all went quiet, so Ive opened up a paypal dispute under the "misdescription" category. If he doesnt respond by monday morning Im going to escalate it to a claim.