Why become a member? ×

GB "Gabbie" Rumour 5 by Bernie Goodfellow

EBS_freak

[size=3][b]GB "GABBIE" RUMOUR 5 string by Bernie Goodfellow[/b][/size]

[b]Neck[/b] :
[indent]35" scale, flame maple with purple heart stringers, madagascan rosewood fingerboard, front and back burr black walnut veneer on headstock.
Schaller tuners with macassar ebony buttons[/indent][b]Body[/b] :
[indent]Flame maple (check the sides out!) with figured black walnut bookmatched top and back facings.
Matching black walnut electronics cavity covers with magnetic cavity cover for the battery compartment. (Smoked Perspex cover is on for the first set of photographs but there is a matching walnut cover for the preamp cavity also (as seen in the laters shots - G Spot buttons to be added soon...)
Hipshot bridge with contrasting brass sadles and knobs in black (+ black locking strap buttons and toggle for GB Switch)[/indent][b]Electronics[/b] :
[indent]GB Pickups and GB G Spot Electronics with inbuilt tuner and metronome
Neutrik lockable jack socket
Full GB DSP sound-to-light unit with front LED magnifier fret markers
Side LEDs
Mother of pearl (not plastic) LED backlit illuminated GB logo.
[/indent]

It just doesn't get much better than this...! Enjoy the pics (just some quick shots in Bernie's bassment - some better ones coming soon!)

Edited by EBS_freak

BASTARD!!!!!!

I want mine now.

Bernie is building my Rumour as we speak (as you already now from past conversations) - thought that your Spitfire was the dogs but now I am not sure which one is better.

How does it play?

Sure is a work of art and a credit to both you and Bernie!

Love it , love it , love it!

Mark

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='264411' date='Aug 18 2008, 10:24 AM'][size=3][b]GB "GABBIE" RUMOUR 5 string by Bernie Goodfellow[/b][/size]

[b]Neck[/b] :
[indent]35" scale, flame maple with purple heart stringers, macassar ebony fingerboard, front and back burr black walnut veneer on headstock.
Schaller tuners with macassar ebony buttons[/indent][b]Body[/b] :
[indent]Flame maple (check the sides out!) with figured black walnut bookmatched top and back facings.
Matching black walnut electronics cavity covers with magnetic cavity cover for the battery compartment. (Smoked Perspex cover is on for the photographs but there is a matching walnut cover for the preamp cavity also)
Hipshot bridge with contrasting brass sadles and knobs in black (+ black locking strap buttons and toggle for GB Switch)[/indent][b]Electronics[/b] :
[indent]GB Pickups and GB G Spot Electronics with inbuilt tuner and metronome
Neutrik lockable jack socket
Full GB DSP sound-to-light unit with front LED magnifier fret markers
Side LEDs
Mother of pearl (not plastic) LED backlit illuminated GB logo.
[/indent]

It just doesn't get much better than this...! Enjoy the pics (just some quick shots in Bernie's bassment - some better ones coming soon!)[/quote]

wow, that looks awesome. apart from anything else I really like a couple of the small details. the gold bridge saddles on the black bridge works really well, as do the offset dots on the fb. but I guess you don't want those LEDs being obscured by a string :)

[quote name='Gwilym' post='264923' date='Aug 18 2008, 08:54 PM']wow, that looks awesome. apart from anything else I really like a couple of the small details. the gold bridge saddles on the black bridge works really well, as do the offset dots on the fb. but I guess you don't want those LEDs being obscured by a string :)[/quote]

Yup - those saddles work a treat. As far as I know, this is the first Rumour with a Hipshot bridge. The offset LEDs were one of the things we discussed - no good having LEDs under a string! Glad you like it!

[quote name='Gwilym' post='264923' date='Aug 18 2008, 08:54 PM']wow, that looks awesome. apart from anything else I really like a couple of the small details. the gold bridge saddles on the black bridge works really well, as do the offset dots on the fb. but I guess you don't want those LEDs being obscured by a string :)[/quote]
+1

Agreed; it is a bit special!!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='264904' date='Aug 18 2008, 08:33 PM']BASTARD!!!!!!

I want mine now.

Bernie is building my Rumour as we speak (as you already now from past conversations) - thought that your Spitfire was the dogs but now I am not sure which one is better.

How does it play?

Sure is a work of art and a credit to both you and Bernie!

Love it , love it , love it!

Mark[/quote]

Chill man! I'm sure the date will come round soon (but not quick enough!!)

It plays like every other GB - absolutely fantastic.

To be honest, there is no "better" bass between the Spitfire and the Rumour - they are just different. Both sound great, both play great, both look great - it depends what you want out of a bass I guess. Personal preference will drive you. My mate loved the Rumour - but when he saw the Spitfire for the first time, he loved that more. I'm getting into the Rumour at the moment... but I still love my Spitfire! Ask me the question as to which one I would have if I could only have one... and the answer would be...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='D-COOPER' post='268038' date='Aug 22 2008, 05:24 PM']WOW!Absolutely fantastic!!I have a Rumour five in the wings and yours has a couple of features i was going to ask Bernie about ie. matching wood cavity covers and a matching back laminate on the headstock.Awesome.[/quote]

I've sent you a PM with some details.

The wood from which she came...

[attachment=13082:core_fas...instripe.jpg]
[attachment=13083:fascias.jpg]
[attachment=13084:headstock.jpg]
[attachment=13085:laminated_neck.jpg]

and in progress -

[attachment=13087:clamped.jpg]
[attachment=13086:laminate...eadstock.jpg]

Great to see the progress pics!!Two things id like to know.Firstly its hard to tell,but does the walnut control cover have holes for the G spot,metronome and pulse?Secondly why is only one of the covers fitted with magnets?(I thought there were two battery compartments?).Anyway iv always thought that method is perfect for securing a cover and makes things so simple and far neater.Again,FANTASTIC bass!!

[quote name='D-COOPER' post='280273' date='Sep 9 2008, 12:22 PM']Great to see the progress pics!!Two things id like to know.Firstly its hard to tell,but does the walnut control cover have holes for the G spot,metronome and pulse?Secondly why is only one of the covers fitted with magnets?(I thought there were two battery compartments?).Anyway iv always thought that method is perfect for securing a cover and makes things so simple and far neater.Again,FANTASTIC bass!![/quote]

OK, at the moment Bernie is fitting the new buttons to the walnut control cover. I'll put some photos up when it has been done. You'll also be able to see the LED (I'm not sure what we agreed whether the plate would have a window for the LED or mount it - whatever - but Bernie will take care of it no doubt).

The screwed down covers are covering the cavities for the LED sound to light unit and the preamp. Typically, you'll never need to go in there so it makes sense to screw them down.

On a standard Rumour, there are 2 battery compartments (when you have the sound to light unit installed... only 1 compartment if you have no LEDs). On this one, as it is a new breed, there is one. Underneath the magnetic cover is a cavity for 4 9v batteries - 2 for the LEDs, 2 for the preamp. It makes sense to have that under a cover that doesn't require a screwdriver to replace the batteries! Last thing you want for a quick battery change at a gig is to hunt around for a screwdriver!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='johnnylager' post='280283' date='Sep 9 2008, 12:29 PM']Madre de Dios - I had the honour of seeing this bass yesterday. It is quite simply the most stunning looking & sounding thing I have ever seen. Ever. It has to be seen & heard to be believed. Don't worry Russ, I kept my slack mouthed drooling to myself. You are a very lucky man and I am proper jealous.[/quote]

No problem. It should be seen as a showpiece of what can be done - up close it's something else!