Why become a member? ×

Blink 182 with Matt Skiba

throwoff

I unashamedly admit Blink 182 are the reason I got into rock music. I must have seen them close to a dozen times in the early 00's and despite them being my favourite band was always left making excuses for why they sucked.

For people who don't follow them they finally grew some balls and sacked Tom Delonge (guitarist, he of whiney vowels) a couple of months ago and as they had dates booked they wanted to fulfil brought in Matt Skiba of Alkaline trio (another band I adore) to take Toms place.

No confirmation this will be a lasting arrangement, I pray they tour to the UK though. Blink always seemed to suffer from that amateur band problem of the bass and drums having to keep up with a bad guitar player.

With Matt, they are actually good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLVejb9iUAg

Seems like a step in the right direction - having also been a fan since my formative years I saw them a few years ago at Pukkelpop and they were absolutely awful - even that recording on a phone sounded better. Just need to cut out the rubbish jokes now, whilst I appreciate they were part of the show the first time round it seems a bit sad seeing a man of that age trying to act that way when I'm sure deep down he knows it's not funny anymore too...

Is it a bit strange he's using a bass that doesn't even resemble his signature bass though?

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1426855837' post='2722754']
I'm looking forward to watching some of the footage later on, so long as this doesn't lead to the demise of Alkaline Trio then all good.
[/quote]

I very much doubt it would, Matt has had several projects going for a long while (as have Mark and Travis) they all seem to have that enviable musical ability to balance many things at once. Plus in all honesty as much as I would love to hear a new record with Matt I think they would do well just to tour every couple of years and play the hits.

From what was said between songs at the show they played the other night Matt Skiba looks like he will be with blink for the foreseeable at least. Very positive step for them as a mature band that at least wants to make music.
I was surprised they played some songs that weren't classic singles though like reckless abandon.

As much as I know 'Blink 182' did secure a deal for funds to produce another album which hasn't been mentioned to not be happening yet. If Skiba was to play guitar and sing on a new record it'll be the first Blink record I'd be excited for for over a decade.

I would LOVE to see this live! There was a headline on the Kerrang! website with Skiba saying "It feels like home." so maybe it will be more permanent. I think that's what Mark and Travis hoped at the beginning anyway.

I'm also a big Blink fan but Tom has always been just awful. I remember watching their Reading footage on the BBC last year (which we all know was a trainwreck) and thinking that he wasn't playing what I was hearing. Then a couple of weeks ago Travis said something along the lines of 'Matt actually plays all the guitar parts, not Pro Tools.' I guess that's how bad/lazy/disinterested he'd gotten.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1426866941' post='2722933']
As much as I know 'Blink 182' did secure a deal for funds to produce another album which hasn't been mentioned to not be happening yet. If Skiba was to play guitar and sing on a new record it'll be the first Blink record I'd be excited for for over a decade.
[/quote]

Apparently they were supposed to start recording in January and Tom put it off, as he'd been doing for months. That was one of the reasons they got rid.

Edited by joeystrange

Fan of both bands, so win win here. Just spent about half hour watching clips, despite quality, all good. Do have some concerns about the future of Alkaline Trio too.

From the perspective of Tom, I enjoyed Box Car Racer and like AVA quite a lot, so (hopfully) a win there too.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1427097704' post='2725614']
Mark's tone is still a bit lacking in anything for me though, especially against the Dude Ranch and Enema days.
[/quote]

I'm sure I read somewhere years back he has had to drop off a little as he was blowing his voice out too regularly.

It sounds more the tone from the +44 stuff, which I actually thought was his best singing. He lost some of the highs but his clarity is bang on.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1427011435' post='2724561']
Fan of both bands, so win win here. Just spent about half hour watching clips, despite quality, all good. Do have some concerns about the future of Alkaline Trio too.

From the perspective of Tom, I enjoyed Box Car Racer and like AVA quite a lot, so (hopfully) a win there too.
[/quote]

I don't think think Matt will leave Alkaline Trio for blink personally, would be interesting to see them do any album, but his styling is too dark for blink imo.

I do feel blink has run its course tho... you can't live on cock jokes into your 40's. Neighbourhoods was a decent album, and the follow up ep was good, but the fact the band never got in a room together in the recording phase says it all. If skiba, hoppus and barker did an entirely seperate and different band that would be interesting.

I love all bands involved and don't like how its all got messy again, i guess we will just have to see what happens.

Interesting! Was never the biggest Blink182 fan, I was into the punk scene in the late 90's but Blink were always a little childish for my tastes. My brother was a huge fan though. Went to see them at the Eden sessions in Cornwall a couple of years back, yes Tom's playing was not great, but the sound of his guitar was shocking as well. It sounded like someone had mic'ed a solid-state 30w practice amp. Guitars should sound huge live. I've seen other bands at Eden and they didn't have this problem!