Why become a member? ×

2x Markbass 102p vs. 1x Barefaced Super Compact

worship_mud

Hi there,

i'm thinking about switching from my 2x MB 102p cabs to one Barefaced super compact cab.

i have no possibility to test the Barefaced, so i thought about getting YOUR advice! :D

will a single 8 ohm Barefaced super compact cab be strong / loud enough to replace 2x 102p cabs? i'm also worried that a a single 8ohm cab will get only 300w out of the bigbang head i use.

any opinions on this?

cheers,

w_m

You might miss the tweeter. Big baby2 might be a better option. I sold my Mk 2 Compact 1x15 because of lack of top end definition. (for my taste). Big baby 2 is the best cab I've owned and i would say probably as loud as your 2x 2x 10's. I'm putting 500+ watts into mine with a GK MB800. My setup is as loud as my EPI UL2 4x10 was before you could feel the EPI drivers reaching excursion limit.

Edited by MOSCOWBASS

You're asking a 1x12 to do the job of 2 2x10s? That's a pretty tall order if you play at high volumes...

The SCs are great cabs, but I have serious doubts whether they could produce as much "sound" as your current set-up.

Is there any particular reason (other than portability) that you want to change?

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' timestamp='1426585814' post='2719461']
Big baby2 might be a better option. Big baby 2 is probably as loud as your 2x 2x 10's.
[/quote]

Yes - that sounds like a better idea... :) But as Marvin suggests - contact Alex at Barefaced for advice.

well, i actually want to change my cabs, because the sound of a single 102p is kind od underwhelming (overaccentuated mids, no lows), carrying two of them around is the same as i carried a regular 4x10 or 2x12 around.

now i don't want to have MORE gear, but less. i so my train of thoughts went into that direction.

alex writes on his page (that's what i wanted to verify here):
[list]
[*]It's a 1x12" with the fatness and depth at high SPL to match some of the best 2x12" and 4x10" cabs (and our old Compact 1x15")..
[/list]

is there a barefaced owner near you?

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/barefaced-map.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/barefaced-map.htm[/url]

i'd wager that a large proportion of barefaced owners are also Basschat members, there is also the 30 day free trial, if you don't like the cab or it's not delivering what you want you just send it back.

Matt

the mids themselves are not the problem, the combination with the lack of lows in the 102p made me think about switching cabs.

the mids define one's sound, IMHO, but the lack of low freq punch is a bit of a dealbreaker rg. the 102p for me...

i just called alex and he said, that 1 8ohm supercompact might be right there in between, as the output power of the amp would be reduced @8 ohms. he thinks it would be sufficient for all but the biggest gigs / stages....

decisions, decisions....

Edited by worship_mud

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1426588860' post='2719503']
Which exact ones have you heard?
[/quote]

Ones I can remember off the top of my head are the Super Compact (a few times), Super Twin, and Midget.

Also heard one at the BassChat SE Bash in Autumn 2013 which was very mid-forward when demo'd through a MarkBass head. Can't remember which model this was but seem to recall it had new drivers - maybe the Super Twin.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426589264' post='2719509']...which was very mid-forward
[/quote]

It's not that BF cabs [b][i]accentuate[/i][/b] the mids, its more that they don't hide them like so many other big brand cabs do...

Edited by Conan

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426589264' post='2719509']
Ones I can remember off the top of my head are the Super Compact (a few times), Super Twin, and Midget.

Also heard one at the BassChat SE Bash in Autumn 2013 which was very mid-forward when demo'd through a MarkBass head. Can't remember which model this was but seem to recall it had new drivers - maybe the Super Twin.
[/quote]

It sounds like you're used to using cabs which are mid-shy because they're all pretty much flat through the mids. Edit! Sorry, the old Midget isn't flat through the mids, far from it. The Super Midget is though.

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426589796' post='2719513']
It's not that BF cabs accentuate the mids, its more that they don't hide them like so many other big brand cabs do...
[/quote]

Just 'voting' with my ears rather than measured responses. I don't particularly dislike mids but when over-compensated for they can sound very harsh and brittle :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426590597' post='2719528']
Just 'voting' with my ears rather than measured responses. I don't particularly dislike mids but when over-compensated for they can sound very harsh and brittle :(
[/quote]

True - which is why most new BF owners have to spend a while re-EQing their amps to allow for the suddenly-present midrange! :)

The first time I used a Compact I found it "shouty" in the midrange. It was only after I changed my amp settings that it all made sense... B)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='worship_mud' timestamp='1426580547' post='2719405']
i have no possibility to test the Barefaced, so i thought about getting YOUR advice! :D[/quote]
[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1426587082' post='2719479']
is there a barefaced owner near you?

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/barefaced-map.htm"]http://barefacedbass...refaced-map.htm[/url]
[/quote]

I've just looked at that map, and there are a lot of BC members who own BF cabs but are not on it (myself and Matt P included).

To the OP: Where are you based?

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426590597' post='2719528']
[/quote]

We do spend a lot more time listening to cabs than measuring them when designing them! ;) Harsh and brittle mids are usually due to excess distortion or them having peaks in certain places - 12XN drivers are very clean through the mids and have pretty much flat power response, so never 'over-compensated', whilst our 10CR drivers are deliberately recessed in the mids to give their mellow tone and balance their inherent subtle dirt.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426591110' post='2719534']
True - which is why most new BF owners have to spend a while re-EQing their amps to allow for the suddenly-present midrange! :)

The first time I used a Compact I found it "shouty" in the midrange. It was only after I changed my amp settings that it all made sense... B)[/quote]

The classic 15" Compact is quite barky in the mids - although the frequency response is relatively flat it's slightly raised through parts of the midrange and more importantly it has certain distortions that add to the midrange - it definitely has 'a sound' of its own.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426591603' post='2719544']
I've just looked at that map, and there are a lot of BC members who own BF cabs but are not on it (myself and Matt P included).

To the OP: Where are you based?
[/quote]

Get on it then! ;)

At the moment there are only a tiny fraction of our customers on the map - and the discontinued models are just as important to players discovering us as our current range. Sign up! :D

i'm in slovenia. :D

i have tested a supertwin , a buddy of mine has one here in slovenia. i liked the sound very much, rounded and powerful, but the supertwin cab is too big for me. i play in a ten piece soulband, and space is an issue as well on stage as in the van.

that's why i focused on the super compact.

Edited by worship_mud

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1426592267' post='2719558']At the moment there are only a tiny fraction of our customers on the map - and the discontinued models are just as important to players discovering us as our current range. Sign up! :D
[/quote]

I intend to! But the site is blocked at work... :rolleyes:

ok, after thinking about the matter for a while,weighing pro's and con's, considering all opinions, making a list w/ plus and minus points, talking it through with my astrologist, throwing a coin and a sleepless night i came to the following conclusion:

f+ck it, i'll order a supercompact.

:D