Why become a member? ×

2x Markbass 102p vs. 1x Barefaced Super Compact

worship_mud

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1426596355' post='2719626']
I wasn't going to sign up as I have 2nd generation cabs but I will now, if Alex wants owns of older cab to join in then I'll join in, I'm always willing to show how amazing the cabs are.

Matt
[/quote]

Yay, thanks!

I know we made a big song and dance about the Generation 3 cabs (and it was justified!) but all our Barefaced cabs, right from the very start, are very special sonically. If you go over to talkbass you'll see there's a lot of excitement in the USA for the Greenboy cabs (fEarful, fEarless, Bassic etc) - those cabs are all closely related to Gen 1 and Gen 2 Barefaced models, using the same woofers, similar enclosure sizes and tunings, similar crossovers and high/mid elements etc. There's a reason bassists are excited about them, it's because they're bloody good, just like the Gen 1 & 2 Barefaced designs.

Anyone trying and liking an older Barefaced cab, even the very first genuine authentic made-in-a-shed-with-a-big-hammer Compacts ;-) can be confident that our new cabs are more like those old Barefaced cabs than pretty much any other bass cabs they might try. If you like any Barefaced cab then there will be a current model you'll like at least as much, hopefully more! :)

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1426599751' post='2719683']
Alex,
How long does it take to my dot on the map? I signed up this morning but I can't see a big blob representing me and my BB2 yet. :)
BC
[/quote]

I shall badger our marketing person - going forwards I'm expecting it to get updated every few days as new users register their details and we stick the virtual pin in the map!

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1426601599' post='2719720']
I shall badger our marketing person - going forwards I'm expecting it to get updated every few days as new users register their details and we stick the virtual pin in the map!
[/quote]
Fair enough. I'm keen to see my name in lights is all! (I don't get out much...)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426585836' post='2719463']
You're asking a 1x12 to do the job of 2 2x10s? That's a pretty tall order if you play at high volumes...

[/quote]

I'd agree.... Be reasonable what you expect but a 12 will not compete with a 4x10's
and altho Markbass cabs aren't my thing, they are decent cabs.

My experience with both Barefaced and Markbass cabs has been good - but I did find that the Markbass cabs coloured the sound a fair bit. Noticed this when I was using a VT DI pedal as my eq. Through my Markbass rig the sound was just right, but when that went to FOH it was much twangier/treblier, so there must have been some kind of roll-off on highs, or bias towards the lows. Now, having an Aguilar/Barefaced set-up, the sound I`m getting on stage is the same that goes to FOH. So for me, the Barefaced cabs accurately put out what you put into them, which is the reason why I`m using them. The weight/portability of them is also a huge factor, but if they didn`t sound right, I wouldn`t use them.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1426639327' post='2720316']
2 Barefaced 112 cabs will easily replace any 410.
[/quote]

Agreed, but the OP is talking about getting [i][b]one[/b][/i]. Buying two new BF cabs is a significant investment... :gas:

I recently received my sparkly new Big Baby 2, and at the weekend I gave it a run against my Markbass rig (151HF and 104HF). My thought before I turned on was that this was an unfair fight - how can a tiny 1x12 even hope to compete with four tens and a 15? Well ....

Without changing the EQ or levels, there was a big difference. The Markbass rig was louder and had more top end and a bit more bass. So I set up a second patch with a bit more bass and much more top, then turned up the volume a bit. For the sort of levels I play at (a rock covers band at pub volume) there was not a lot of difference in sound or volume. There was, however, a massive difference in how much my back ached after moving the gear.

The conclusion: the BB2 will do the same as the Markbass rig at pub band volume, but you need to take the time to set up the sound. Now, maybe if I had a second BB2 ........

to clarify a bit...

one 102p is actually loud enough in terms of sheer volume, to handle the stuff i play at the moment (pubs and small clubs up to 100-150 people). it's just that it doesn't sound good on it's own. two of those 102p are sounding way better and fuller, louder of course too. but it is not he sheer amount of volume what i'm looking for, i want to get along with one lightweight single cab. it does not have to outperform 2x 102p's. it has to be at least as loud as 1x 102p but with more bottom. if it is louder in terms of volume, that's an added bonus, i want a rounder and fuller sound out of one cab. if it gets close to 2x 102p, that's completly sufficient for me. i am aware, that i will have to add another cab or get a bigger one if the venues get larger on a regular basis (which i'm afraid won't happen anyway, hahahaha.... :D )

judging by the comments, the supercompact should be able to do this. i pulled the trigger on one anyway, so que sera, sera.... :D

I play in similar sized venues, and the guitarist and drummer are noisy so-and-so's but I've never had any issues being heard in fact at our last gig (new years eve so fairly raucous) I played the first set with just one midget plugged in, I only realised when I nipped on stage before the second set to check everything was ready to go. I'd say that a single supercompact will be all the cab you are likely to need, I only bought 2 midgets as I had permission from my wife and the space on the shelf was exactly the right size, plus they look awesome on stage, a mini stack of doom!

Matt