Why become a member? ×

I need a screw...

Conan

In fact I need two!! :o

What kind of screws do I need to attach a string retainer like this one....

...to the headstock of my J&D jazz bass? And where would I get them? I was a bit disappointed that it didn't come with fixing screws, but such is life I guess.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1425543084' post='2708284']
Depending on the hole size but pick guard screws should fit depends how big the countersink is in the retainer
[/quote]

Will they be long enough? There will be a lot of tension on them as the string retainer will have to pull the A string down a long way... Countersink is quite deep.

This is a Hipshot item BTW...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425543307' post='2708288']
Will they be long enough? There will be a lot of tension on them as the string retainer will have to pull the A string down a long way... Countersink is quite deep.

This is a Hipshot item BTW...
[/quote]

It's normally delivered with the screws, where did you buy it from..? Here's the Amazon ad,which shows the screws; that might give an idea as to what's required..?

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Hipshot-Bass-String-Retainer-Chrome/dp/B00OSIDU48"]Amazon 3-string Hipshot ...[/url]

Hope this helps

You obviously can't use anything too long or it'll come through the other side of the headstock. I'd measure the thickness of the headstock and try to find a screw of that length... you know that the string retainer thickness will take up some of the length so you won't get it coming out on the other side. You'll need to be careful when you make the pilot holes too.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1425544954' post='2708310'] I'd measure the thickness of the headstock and try to find a screw of that length... you know that the string retainer thickness will take up some of the length so you won't get it coming out on the other side. You'll need to be careful when you make the pilot holes too.
[/quote]

Good advice - but is there a specific type of screw I should be looking for? Would any type of countersunk wood screw do?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1425544682' post='2708307']
It's normally delivered with the screws, where did you buy it from..? Here's the Amazon ad,which shows the screws; that might give an idea as to what's required..?

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Hipshot-Bass-String-Retainer-Chrome/dp/B00OSIDU48"]Amazon 3-string Hipshot ...[/url]

Hope this helps
[/quote]

That's frustrating as I usually shop on Amazon but couldn't find one on Amazon UK... I bought it from Bass Direct!

And they look like pickguard screws in that picture, don't they?

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425545341' post='2708317']
Good advice - but is there a specific type of screw I should be looking for? Would any type of countersunk wood screw do?
[/quote]

Exactly. So long as the shaft fits through the hole, the head sits neatly in the countersink and the screw does not come out of the back of the headstock, you'll be fine. Ideally it should be a cross head and the finish should match that of the string retainer, but it doesn't have to if you don't mind the look.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1425545582' post='2708322']
Pickguard screws should be long enough string trees are not normally fitted with uber long screws anyway you will see what I mean when you take the old retainer off :)
[/quote]

I've had the pickguard [b][i]and[/i][/b] the string retainer off... and the screw that attaches the string retainer is significantly longer than the PG screws! :huh:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425545688' post='2708326']
I've had the pickguard [b][i]and[/i][/b] the string retainer off... and the screw that attaches the string retainer is significantly longer than the PG screws! :huh:
[/quote]

The important bit is what length of the screw actually goes into the wood.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425545390' post='2708318']

That's frustrating as I usually shop on Amazon but couldn't find one on Amazon UK... I bought it from Bass Direct!

And they look like pickguard screws in that picture, don't they?
[/quote]

Probably of little consolation, but I just got one of those from Bass Direct, and screws came with it.