Why become a member? ×

D. Lakin Basses BG on the way home...

bassmayhem

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425820078' post='2711009']

Yes, but they only get really interesting when you see them for £700 SH.
Same as American Deluxes, at around £1000 for 5'ers.
[/quote]
To you maybe but someone must have paid close on the rrp for them to become available at those prices new used mustn't they? When I look at my regular bills and car repair costs I dont worry about a few hundred quid these days, life's too short imo.

The OP's bass is growing on me too :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1425851842' post='2711537']
To you maybe but someone must have paid close on the rrp for them to become available at those prices new used mustn't they? When I look at my regular bills and car repair costs I dont worry about a few hundred quid these days, life's too short imo.

The OP's bass is growing on me too :)
[/quote]

I guess someone did... but I don't see that value in them. It isn't the money so much as what you get for it
and I am generally not impressed by what I see at £1500 RRP. ;)

I paid £999 for my Lakland but wouldn't sell for under £750. They go for that too which is high considering their retail price.

The D Lakins are only just over £1k for a Jazz and less for a Precision.

Which is very much in line with Lakland Skylines.

Edited by Machines

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1425926422' post='2712373']
That sounds reasonable to me, how much for a Jazz 5 and is there an active one?
[/quote]Well, I paid [b]a lot[/b] less, but it is second hand... (£1K mentioned above...)

Edited by bassmayhem

Now it is home.

The work is top notch! The neck is incredibly comfortable to grip, with "hard oiled" surface like on US Lakland. The frets have the same old school small profile like on Lakland basses, also meticulously set, shaped and dressed. All hardware is from Hipshot, no licensed things. The icing on the cake: the weight is just over three kilograms, it has tone as a crazy and is damn good looking. The original case was unfortunately lost, but it came with a good gig bag. The package also included an original tool, which was very clever. Of this, I upload a picture when I get home. The headstock looks better in real life, just so you know...
And - of course - a "Certificate of autenticity" signed by both Dan Lakin and Bob Glaub. (Not that it matters, but it's a bit of fun ...)

Edited by bassmayhem

• 2 weeks later...