Why become a member? ×

What have I done??

FinnDave

Took my 'new' fretless (Xilddx's second hand Mighty Mite neck & my Squier Precision VM body) to the blues jam in Witney this afternoon. Rest of the band insisted I play it (had about 30 mins on it so far) even though I had a good fretted Fender J with me...we played four numbers, most of them fairly up-tempo and funky stuff and played the fretless on all of them. Can go back to fretted now I've crossed the great divide??? Picked up one of my Jazz basses and it feel so dead and clanky compared to the organic feel of the fretless neck. Fretless just feels and sounds so wickedly sexy :)

It's impossible to resist sliding into every change at first. It sounds so sexy, but once you get over that particular distraction it's witout doubt a much better format than fretted. Having said that I don't currently own a fretless. I have two fretless necks and countless bodies to match so I guess in theory I own several. Lol......trotting off to the workshop.

I am a recent convert to fretless. I love it and rarely play fretted now. I particularly like the way I can hear when I am not quite on and make small adjustments on the fly (especially when singing and can't look at what I am playing). With a fretted bass, if you play the wrong note, you are playing the wrong note. With fretless, if you play the wrong note, you can just slide up or down until you are spot on. I like the freedom.