Why become a member? ×

Road worn double bass

mentalextra

I know very little about double basses but is the "road worn/beaten up look" acceptable in the way that it is with an electric bass guitar? Is damaged frowned up or is it classed as 'patina' like an old guitar. Reason I'm asking is that I've spotted a few on TV recently from street buskers to orchestra and jazz clubs and they are all fine, well cared for looking instruments, clearly not subject to a hard gigging life

A DB that has had a hard life will likely be battered. I've no problem at all with that and, whilst I simply don't understand the appeal of relicing, if it's done well enough then you can't tell that it IS relicing.

Buying a factory-made roadworn DB is not for me, but who cares?

A badly reliced bass is something else again. Taking a belt sander or a Dremel Multi to any instrument is simply an embarrassment to the owner, or bloody well should be!

I'd say that antique looking instruments are definitely appreciated in the DB world. A lot of the finer instruments are over 100 years old, and typically an original finish is considered to be preferable to a new looking refinish. It's quite common for new instruments to be made to look old too, though usually in a more subtle way than in relic'ed bass guitars, as oil varnish doesn't tend to craze or flake off like nitrocellulose lacquer does.
My own double bass is pretty weathered looking, though it's a combination of age, careless handling and a crudely brushed-on finish that didn't adhere very well to the original varnish underneath rather than anything deliberate.

The problem with an acoustic instrument is that bashes and bumps may damage the soundbox, and they might also reduce the strength of the instrument. Double basses are glued together; anything which cracks the glue... you can wind up with a pile of splinters. (I know this because I own a cello. It still works but it's been pegged and glued, and glued, and glued :( )

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1424646234' post='2698817']
The problem with an acoustic instrument is that bashes and bumps may damage the soundbox, and they might also reduce the strength of the instrument. Double basses are glued together; anything which cracks the glue... you can wind up with a pile of splinters. (I know this because I own a cello. It still works but it's been pegged and glued, and glued, and glued :( )
[/quote]

So the whole gigged and road worn look (faux or not) isnt a 'thing' in the way it is with electric bass. I'm guessing that if I pulled out an instrument from the 60s nobody would bat an eye if it looked as though it had been thrown off a cliff, whereas an antique Cello would still be 99% of original condition

I've never heard of anyone deliberately roughing up their double bass, but I've seen plenty that are a bit scuffed around the edges - it's unavoidable when you have to man handle something the size of a wardrobe up onto a stage.
Both of my basses have chips out of the edges and scratches on the finish. They were like that when I bought them and I didn't have a problem with it.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1424689288' post='2699084']
So the whole gigged and road worn look (faux or not) isnt a 'thing' in the way it is with electric bass. I'm guessing that if I pulled out an instrument from the 60s nobody would bat an eye if it looked as though it had been thrown off a cliff, whereas an antique Cello would still be 99% of original condition
[/quote]
Yes, and also cellists tend to be in classical groups rather than bands. Classical ensembles do not do "roadworn"... :D

Edited by alyctes