Why become a member? ×

Black Walnut lightweight...

Andyjr1515

Here's the walnut control chamber cover. I'm not sure if I can get neodymium magnets and plates small enough - and the panel has to have 4 holes to secure the EQ and give access to the trim pots in any case, so may well attach with screws per the Cort.

All of the access channels to the pickup chamber, battery chamber and bridge earth are drilled, so just waiting a replacement volume-pot and some copper-foil to line the control chamber from Axesrus and then it's ready for reassembly :D

As always, thanks for looking
Andy

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1426603744' post='2719755']
Here's the walnut control chamber cover. I'm not sure if I can get neodymium magnets and plates small enough - and the panel has to have 4 holes to secure the EQ and give access to the trim pots in any case, so may well attach with screws per the Cort.

All of the access channels to the pickup chamber, battery chamber and bridge earth are drilled, so just waiting a replacement volume-pot and some copper-foil to line the control chamber from Axesrus and then it's ready for reassembly :D

As always, thanks for looking
Andy
[/quote]

Correction - found some :D

The chap I'm doing this for has asked if I can pop a couple of my moniker 'swifts' on the headstock. I've gone through the detail how I do this in other threads, but briefly:

Jeweller's saw to cut out the mother of pearl shapes. Note the high-tech cutting bench!

When they have been cut out, I position them and trace round onto the headstock with a fine pencil:

Then route out, using a dremel and precision router base:

...and - providing I didn't cock it up - trial fit before gluing:

I glue them with epoxy mixed with sanding dust from appropriate coloured woods - with this one, I've used ebony. You basically fill the chamber, then press the inlay firmly in, using the squeezed out epoxy to fill any gaps. It's curing at the moment - I'll post a pic tomorrow when it's set and sanded.

Thanks for looking :)

Andy

[quote name='Chris Sharman' timestamp='1427117759' post='2725905']
I have been watching this with interest whilst trying to find suitable words...

I believe "Ay Caramba" should suffice. Really nice work there Andy.
[/quote]

That'll do fine, Chris :lol:

Thanks!

So, all over bar the shouting... :D

Just waiting for a plain black truss-rod cover and to do the final action set-up but in all other respects, it's done.

Final weight...within 1 gramme of the original target weight. Here's what it looks like:

Thanks for all of the kind comments and encouraging feedback, folks :)

Andy

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1427126449' post='2726088']
I'd eat that. Oh, isn't it made of chocolate? ;)

Looks delish anyway - always liked the shape of these basses and the carves suit it very well indeed.
[/quote]

Already done - *burp* - pardon! :blush:

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1427131302' post='2726191']
Excellent!
When's your next thread?
[/quote]

Hi alittlebitrobot

The next bass closest to finishing is the 'under-wraps' one. There's a high risk of it not working and the guy I'm doing it for wants to hold off going public until we know we have a working bass...it is quite, quite special.

I'm making decent progress on it so hopefully we'll be able to go public with it, or the bonfire, in the next couple of months.

After that, it's a toss up between the 'essence of Thumb fretless' and an electric cello... :D

Thanks for the great feedback over this last build :) Owner's picking it up tomorrow...I think he'll love it.

Andy

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1427270480' post='2727997']
Fantastic build diary, and impressive skills on show.

I haven't done enough Basschatting recently so have arrived into this thread too late, but I'm well impressed with this one.

Great work!

RK
[/quote]

Thanks, RK !

Good to see you back - not only for your encouraging feedback, but also for the best avatar on the site...I've missed it :lol:

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I know what you mean about the avatar. I grin every single time I see it, and its my own avatar. Therapy might help? I could always order another Overwater to take my mind off the avatar. No wait, I did that last week! Heh heh.

Keep up the good work Andy,

Robin