Why become a member? ×

ChangesTwoBowie - Set Evolution

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1499731009' post='3333239']
Ashes to Ashes,
but,,,, only this version.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNqo0kIR-TU"]https://www.youtube....h?v=lNqo0kIR-TU[/url]
[/quote]

I knew I had it somewhere. I've just uploaded it to [url="https://soundcloud.com/warren-byatt/ashes-to-ashes-final-mix"]Sound Cloud[/url] so you can have a listen if you like.

[quote name='Andy_L' timestamp='1499797015' post='3333706']
Flummoxed by the unexpected absence of She's Got Medals in the options; ended up going for Young Americans
[/quote]

Well, one of them pre-dates Medals :)

We tried to get a date at Norwich Arts Centre and, well, it didn't work out too well <_<

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1499797503' post='3333712']

Well, one of them pre-dates Medals :)

We tried to get a date at Norwich Arts Centre and, well, it didn't work out too well <_<
[/quote]

:(

Ah, the NAC, my all-time favourite venue. Saw Nirvana there many, many years ago.

I must at some point convince them of the need for some country in their schedule

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1499800529' post='3333741']
Which is and always will be the correct answer when discussing the Tin Machine songs on the set list!!! :D :D :D
[/quote]

Mmm, I have to say I do like Tin Machine. We've spoken about getting Baby Universal gig ready as well as Under The God, but with so much other Bowie material to hand, they've kind of taken a back seat.

After two days, it's fairly clear which song is going to come out on top, but there are only a couple of votes between 2nd, 3rd and 4th places.

If you haven't done so, please visit our [url="http://www.changestwobowie.co.uk"]homepage[/url], choose a song and click 'vote'. It's just for fun, but the results so far are not what I expected.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1499709749' post='3333075']
Just for a bit of fun, we've added a poll to the front page of our web site. We usually learn songs in batches of six (i.e. one choice each), but we're a bit pushed for time before the next gig, so have agreed we will do three. But which three?

We've all chosen one each. All you have to do is go to our [url="http://www.changestwobowie.co.uk"]homepage[/url] and vote for one song. We will learn the three that get the most votes. Closing date 31/7/17.
[/quote]

As a fan of Victor Meldrew I tend to avoid polls because they wind me up. To misquote the old curmudgeon; [i]I'd rather creosote a rhinoceros[/i] than take part.

I was curious about one tune of DB's however; Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud (or Freedom, if you have seen one of the rare releases with that typo)... if it was in your set you'd do the first version sans orchestral accompaniment wouldn't you? Or have you got an ambitious keyboard jockey who can MIDI up a convincing orchestra for you?

Just curious.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1499852585' post='3334025']
As a fan of Victor Meldrew I tend to avoid polls because they wind me up. To misquote the old curmudgeon; [i]I'd rather creosote a rhinoceros[/i] than take part.

I was curious about one tune of DB's however; Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud (or Freedom, if you have seen one of the rare releases with that typo)... if it was in your set you'd do the first version sans orchestral accompaniment wouldn't you? Or have you got an ambitious keyboard jockey who can MIDI up a convincing orchestra for you?

Just curious.
[/quote]

It's just meant to be a bit of fun to see out of those six songs which people would prefer given the choice.

WEBFF isn't one of them this time around, but nothing is off limits, with the exception of The Laughing Gnome 😀 Actually, after this morning's band conversation, I don't think we will be doing She's Got Medals anytime soon either. Sorry Andy_L 😬

I'll have a word with our keys player. He's a music teacher and he's all MIDI'd up, so I'm sure it would be do-able.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1499855755' post='3334049']
...nothing is off limits, with the exception of The Laughing Gnome Actually, after this morning's band conversation, I don't think we will be doing She's Got Medals anytime soon either. Sorry Andy_L

[/quote]

I can picture the discussion:
HKH - ...and some odd bloke on Basschat suggested She's Got Medals
Rest of the Band (in unison) - F*** that

[quote name='Andy_L' timestamp='1499856962' post='3334065']
I can picture the discussion:
HKH - ...and some odd bloke on Basschat suggested She's Got Medals
Rest of the Band (in unison) - F*** that
[/quote]

The actual reply was something along the lines of 'She's Got Medals is too much like David Bowie trying to be Ray Davies' , which I don't necessarily see as a bad thing, but it's not me that would have to sing it, so....

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1499859363' post='3334096']
I vote for "Love You 'Till Tuesday" :) - I unaccountably had a copy of "The World Of..." not long after it first came out as a 6 or 7 year old. That was my favourite tune. You could do THAT instead of Medals!!!
[/quote]

Now that is a good song 👍

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1499855755' post='3334049']
It's just meant to be a bit of fun to see out of those six songs which people would prefer given the choice.

WEBFF isn't one of them this time around, but nothing is off limits, with the exception of The Laughing Gnome Actually, after this morning's band conversation, I don't think we will be doing She's Got Medals anytime soon either. Sorry Andy_L

I'll have a word with our keys player. He's a music teacher and he's all MIDI'd up, so I'm sure it would be do-able.
[/quote]

Hahahaha, "She's Got Medals".

Another dodgy one would be the Little Bombardier I'd imagine. That one's a bit difficult to listen to post Savile. How on earth would you perform that to an audience in good conscience these days I wonder?

Cheers chap. I listened to the early B side release of WEBFF after my last post here and I liked it a lot. There was, I think, a cello accompaniment, possibly an oboe too. Now I am not sure which of those two versions I'd favour. I doubt either version would serve in your set very well though but thanks for asking on my behalf.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1499924642' post='3334495']
Learn Herbie Flowers' bassline to Space Odditty to wow the punters, except nobody notices the bass player :(
[/quote]

I really should have read more sleeve notes growing up. Thanks for that nugget of gen.

Some surprising results so far in the 'pick our next three songs' poll.

Probably not surprising that Young Americans is favourite, but I really did think Breaking Glass would do better than it has.

Also, Sister Midnight in second place? Given that Bowie only performed it on the Reality Tour, I didn't think it would be that popular. This is why I don't gamble :)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1500371423' post='3337217']
Some surprising results so far in the 'pick our next three songs' poll.

Probably not surprising that Young Americans is favourite, but I really did think Breaking Glass would do better than it has.

Also, Sister Midnight in second place? Given that Bowie only performed it on the Reality Tour, I didn't think it would be that popular. This is why I don't gamble :)

[/quote]

Young Americans. Do you have female backing vocals with that?

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1500373476' post='3337231']
Young Americans. Do you have female backing vocals with that?
[/quote]

Oh yes. The lovely [url="https://youtu.be/PDyfXjPyPZM"]Natalie[/url] will be joining us for that one.

P.S. I know I dropped down too late during the intro. I was having pedal issues :unsure:

Just had a look thru the web page VID clips. Band sounds really good especially the recent clips. Obviously the band has settled over the last 2 yrs and are far more confident in their playing.

Very impressed ...............NOW GET SOME GIGS UP HERE IN SCOTLAND :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please :rolleyes:
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1500473162' post='3338080']
Just had a look thru the web page VID clips. Band sounds really good especially the recent clips. Obviously the band has settled over the last 2 yrs and are far more confident in their playing.
Very impressed ...............NOW GET SOME GIGS UP HERE IN SCOTLAND :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please :rolleyes:
Dave
[/quote]

That's very nice of you to say Dave. Thank you.

Well, your wish could come true. We've started getting gigs through an agent and one of the other acts he manages have been sent far and wide, so there is hope.

Last day of the poll today and 3rd & 4th spots are all tied up. Someone please break the deadlock :D

Go to www.changestwobowie.co.uk and choose one from:

Breaking Glass
Can't Help Thinking About Me
Hallo Spaceboy
Sister Midnight
Station to Station
Young Americans

The top three songs get the treatment for our gig at Chinnerys, Southend-On-Sea on 16/9.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker