Why become a member? ×

Slapping on a 6 string?

Shaun

Can be, can't be - depends on your technique and the bass itself.. my Alembic had 17mm spacing which was a little tight but then again you get the benefit of a thinner neck. Best to try some out first, but there should be no reason whay it would be any more difficult if you get the spacing and neck profile right.

Agree with Ped.. Sometimes a little adjustment of technique is required, but it is very much possible. Don't let anyone tell you other wise. I slap on a 7er (16mm spacing) . Bill 'The Buddha' Dickens slaps like a crazy mofo on a 9 string! (I reckon he'll have some clips on you tube.. possibly)

As the others have said, its personal choice - Dood slaps on a 7 string, Ped slaps on 4's and 5's, and I slap mostly on a 4 but with the right string spacing, I can slap a 5er too.

A 6 string should be know different but it does depend hugely on the string spacing, and your technique. I learnt to slap on Jazz basses, so I am most effective slapping 4 or 5 string Jazzers - however ive never been able to get along with 6 strings so I stick to 4's and 5's.

Just my personal preference!

I agree with Ped, Dood and Luke

I slap on 5's - but have done fine with 6'ers and tight 5's - and I have rather large hands.

If anything I think slapping on 6'ers tends to improve your technique. As you have to think a little more you start to develop a much more economical slapping technique, your movements have to be more accurate and I've found it a good way to create intricate sounds with slap.

Don't be put off by the amount of strings

In my humble opnion Alain Caron is the cleanest slapper on a 6 string - his tone is much nicer than The Budda's as well - he uses a pretty straightforward technique - he bascially does a down-stroke with the thumb then does an up-pluck with his index finger, meaning he can play very clean 8th notes - he then adds in double plucks for triplets and to crate different accents in a bass line, he also double thumbs - catching the string with the back of his thumb on the upstroke. Plus he does some normal slapper things like bouncing his thumb plus some left hand damping / patting on the neck.

This is a great video of him playing 'Slam The Clown' which is slapped throughout - you can clearly see how he uses the alternating thumb and index - plus he seems to play very lightly - it's all a matter of training those damn fingers to do what you want them to! His technique is so clean it's not about speed just the clarity of his execution - that makes his sound so good - he's a tasteful bastard as well...damn!

Cool Vid
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkOYGlI-zoo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkOYGlI-zoo[/url]

Hope that helps

Mike

Interesting to see Alain Caron using his right pinkie to anchor against the body quite a bit. That's something I found myself doing when trying the whole double-thumbing thing, but I tried to resist it just cos Vic doesn't do it. Sod it, doesn't seem to do Alain any harm!

• 4 weeks later...