Why become a member? ×

Previously unheard John Deacon goodness

M-Bass-M

...well, sort of!

I've been transcribing the Queen track "Sail Away Sweet Sister", and found a nice little surprise from John Deacon waiting at the end of the track!

Normally you wouldn't hear it unless you have very keen hearing, as it's right at the very end of the fade out. However, I've pulled together a sound clip which first has the unfaded version, and then one where I've increase the track volume as it fades out. Enjoy...I certainly did!

[url="https://soundcloud.com/eschaton-studios/sail-away-sweet-sister-fade-out"]https://soundcloud.com/eschaton-studios/sail-away-sweet-sister-fade-out[/url]

Have admired that particular slice of Deacy 'goodness' for 35 years now (along with countless others - intro to 'The Millionaires Waltz' anyone?) since I 1st heard it on 'The Game' in 1980

One of the most tasteful pop/rock bassists going (not to mention top songwriter/composer to boot)

Deacy rules!!

Edited by pnefc42

[quote name='pnefc42' timestamp='1421350469' post='2660308']
(along with countless others - intro to 'The Millionaires Waltz' anyone?)
[/quote]
I think you may have just provided me with my next transcription project! Not that I'll actually be able to play it once I've transcribed it...

[quote name='M-Bass-M' timestamp='1421410059' post='2660827']
I think you may have just provided me with my next transcription project! Not that I'll actually be able to play it once I've transcribed it...
[/quote]

When I had lessons from Steve Amadeo, he transcribed it for me (in about 20 minutes from never hearing it before, I seem to remember - he has scary abilities!), so if you get stuck in any of the parts, let me know.

Ah Queen - what a brilliant band. I've been listening to them a lot lately following those two "Days of our lives" programmes on bbc4 recently. What a brilliant bass player John Deacon is. Just so tasteful and melodic. A real lesson in bass playing. Turns out he was born about five mins from where I currently live too in Leicestershire!

I just downloaded the Killer Queen multitracks. Interesting! I've dumped them into my recording software and after isolating drums and bass, my initial comment would be how [i]underwhelming [/i]the playing is. Don't get me wrong, those first four or five Queen albums formed what became the backbone of my late teen listening and Sheer Heart Attack is easily included in my top five favourite albums, but the playing definitely comes under the less is more category. I honestly thought the part would be super difficult given the complexity of the song overall.

One final observation, damn, whatever bass he was using sounds like it needs a set up...the intonation on the higher notes/pushes sounds well off to my ears!

• 2 months later...

just watched the75 Christmas eve Old Grey Whistle Test concert at Hammersmith Odeon for umpteenth time. Deacon is more dynamic than I remember, tho the camera hardly ever is directly on him, despite spending a lot of time standing in front of Roger Taylor. Never saw them live sadly, despite being my era.

Nice bass work by Deacon -- though I've always been impressed by his contributions to Queen's collective works.

Something curious happened as the second clip came to an end, though. It was unexpected but was, still, truly a delight. As I was moving the pointer to close down the site, a song began to play. It was haunting and mysterious. I had to listen to it to the end. I couldn't help myself. It was a song called Hush House (from "the Casual Vacancy") by a group called The Doppler Shift. I can honestly say I had never heard of them before. I'll be listening for them from now on.

<><Peace

Edited by dadofsix